Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lockdown Experiments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2020 at 8:00pm
They're interesting photos of the Jericho box. I think those drivers look rather like BMS too. I see the drivers are arranged in a curve- that explains how they get some dispersion in the vertical.

I still think the LF is a bandpass layout- the cones face into a smallish rear chamber, the baskets are open to the volume inside the cab which acts as a front chamber, ports open into the main horn mouth. That makes it a fourth order bandpass. I still prefer horns though
Blahblahblah
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2020 at 8:07pm
I made a bit more progress today. I decided to try to neatly remake the plasticine bung/ring contraption in MDF. First job was to knock up a tool for turning MDF down. I made it from part of a dead angle grinder and bits of metal out of the garage. I apologise for the untidy welding, it has been a bit windy here and I don't have anywhere indoors to weld.

After lots of chisel re-sharpening I came up with this

Next job is to cut some slots in it and then work around the edges of them to get a suitable profile, then make some more for comparison.
Blahblahblah
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2020 at 8:21pm
Looks like a martin bung
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2020 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by doober doober wrote:

They're interesting photos of the Jericho box. I think those drivers look rather like BMS too. I see the drivers are arranged in a curve- that explains how they get some dispersion in the vertical.

I still think the LF is a bandpass layout- the cones face into a smallish rear chamber, the baskets are open to the volume inside the cab which acts as a front chamber, ports open into the main horn mouth. That makes it a fourth order bandpass. I still prefer horns though

No, its still Eminence comps... Emmy logo and comnections is a dead-giveaway.

https://www.eminence.com/speakers/driver-detail/?model=N151M-8
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 2:23am
would have thought more like this...

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 6:55am
[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

I think we can all see the eminence logos and there is no debate that they “are” eminence drivers, however I think I and others are saying there is a distinct possibility that these are made by BMS for eminence, or if not there has been a lack of originality at eminence R&D.
Its no surprise that in the states eminence would be cheaper than BMS as its a home market product. This would not be the first time Eminence has bought in HF drivers.

“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 7:07am
PS- absolutely loving the “mad max” getto lathe..!
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 8:26am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

When I saw that lathe, then the end result, it made me feel so inadequate; I wish my DIY game was on that level. 

Edited by citizensc - 24 June 2020 at 2:36pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 8:43am
One thing is perfectly clear- there is at LEAST another 20 years of life left in that workbench top!!!
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 9:42am
This is a wonderful thread. It's so nice to see somebody doing real DIY engineering prototype work.

And it all reminds me of a crazy Aussie boffin I used to work for, he would have enjoyed seeing this...

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 11:13am
Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

When I saw that lathe, then the end result, it made me feel so inadequate, I with my DIY game was on that level. 

I did a smilar thing recently, but for sanding down. Made a jig to attach workpiece to end of drill, clamp drill in workbench, set to continuous on and sand away.

Only mildy dangerous, and no welding involved which makes it not as good. But it worked very well!
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 12:10pm

[QUOTE

I think we can all see the eminence logos and there is no debate that they “are” eminence drivers, however I think I and others are saying there is a distinct possibility that these are made by BMS for eminence, or if not there has been a lack of originality at eminence R&D.
Its no surprise that in the states eminence would be cheaper than BMS as its a home market product. This would not be the first time Eminence has bought in HF drivers.

[/QUOTE]

Which BMS comp would it be then? I have seen people compare it to BMS 4552. But not saying its a knockoff. They dont look the same at all.

Yes, one manufacturer can get their products from another manufacturer.
But does that mean that its not their own product? 
Turbosound doesnt make their own drivers. They use rebadged PD, B&C and even cheap chinese stuff. But its still turbosound drivers... 

Edited by FOO - 24 June 2020 at 12:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>