Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lockdown Experiments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2020 at 4:47pm
I'm still doing bits of work on this project. I now have 4 of the HF sections made, they all have different amounts of curve on the front face, not really noticeable on the photo.

I also got around to tidying up the grp mid horn prototype and made a new silicon mould from it, ready for making the curved face versions which will be needed in the next box attempt.

Blahblahblah
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2020 at 5:04pm
Lovely work!Heart
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2020 at 4:38pm
awsome, wish I could do this kind of fabrication.
Petrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 11:56am
Nice project!! keep going :)
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2021 at 9:41pm
I tried the new mould out. First attempt involved brushing gelcoat onto it on all the surfaces, then coating with a resin and silica mix. This was very tricky to do due to lack of access to the inside, despite the large hole in the baffle.

The first attempt wasn't successful, I had missed a few bits and there were quite a few holes. I forced the mould back into it and tried a new approach, laying up a couple of layers of resin and mat on the outside, taking care to get baffle end and mouth end sealed.

Next I propped it up so the baffle was horizontal and poured resin in through the big hole in the baffle. This was successful, and the whole thing now feels very solid.

I refined the technique for the next attempt. Gelcoat brushed onto the outside surfaces, a layer of woven glass cloth is wetted out with resin then applied around both sides of the horn, going out a bit further to make mounting flanges to the sides, then a couple of mat layers. I the pour coloured resin in through the big hole, done in 3 stages to prevent overheating and cracking of the resin, pulled the mould out when it is all cured.

Here's where I'm up to now

Blahblahblah
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2021 at 9:50pm
Clap
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2021 at 10:26pm
Proper job.

Very impressed.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2021 at 10:28pm
Impressive!
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2021 at 10:36pm
Wow. 
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2021 at 7:53pm
Thanks folks

Some more progress.

The mid sections are now glued to the HF section. Nothing is glued to the cabinet yet though.

Rear view

Front view

I've made some rear chamber bowls for the 10" low drivers

I get to do some woodwork now!
Blahblahblah
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2021 at 8:01pm
some proper r&d there, love it! :)
do you measure the impact of the mids on the HF?
(could imagine there is quite a lot due to wavelengths involved, a mesh cover that doesnt impact the mids yet improve the hf "flow" might be an option?)
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2021 at 9:21pm
Wow! Next level DIY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>