Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"lockdown" lowfi diy fullrange

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2021 at 12:07pm

..when you find out that classD car Amp run off a cheap 12v inverter sounds much better than your Yamaha Hifi Amp.. LOL
- well, at least it confirmed the bluetooth/lifepo4 option i have in mind+Campervan Setup etc. :)

bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 9:39pm

the first one is ready and working, will post measurements soon..
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 9:43pm

..whilst at it..

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 10:27pm
With those "Back Chamber Bowls,"  don't forget to add some sound deadening material. Under high SPL conditions, the plastic will resonate and wreak havoc on the sound. It was very common for companies such as Infinity to use multiple layers of felt in their back chamber bowls on their midrange speakers to eliminate the howling affects caused by "Back Chamber Bowls."

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2021 at 10:03pm
yeah, have several damping options here, will try them all and compare/measure them in the round cab, no space to add damping in the plastic back bowl setup, i have tested and measured it today, i didnt like it much tbh..
Its too small, seems to leak and shows resonance issues, compared to the measurements i have done on the small ported original cabs, +WG loaded, those coaxs were originally sold in..
Will add a bigger/damped ply backchamber tomorrow and measure/try again :)

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2021 at 7:04pm

..the round one is `finished` too, m10 thread and speakon at the "bottom".
(due to the lack of a suitable belt sander the outside is not yet where i wish it to be finally but hey, it works and enables me to compare the really small, now improved, closed backchamber and this one)

upon quick a/b listening tests and rough measurements the bigger one plays well 110ish hz up, the small one about 200up, maybe due to the added damping to the larger one, and this particular driver, it plays smoother, less peaky, it definately couples better to the small 10" sub :) 
That combo is no slouch, running off that car amp, sub bridged 200w max, tops stereo 80w max, it goes loud enough for a home party, with ease..

..working on presentable comparison measurements! Bear with me folks.
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 9:14am
The round cab is cool! Great stuff!
Blahblahblah
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 9:26am
Great work!
The speakon "hidden" behind the pole looks very neat.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 7:37pm
cheers guys!

as promised, i`ve had a play with wadding/damping the closed backchamber of the round one..
it did have a few dips that could be improved with other/different/more damping but that 5.5khz dip on axis remained so far.. will investigate further/have another go asap and post more measurements!

(same input, different distances/angles+partly added eqs - by no means scientific, 1/12 smoothing)
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2021 at 7:57pm

without "separation" in rew..

Edited by bass*en*mass - 09 February 2021 at 8:33pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2021 at 11:55am
Focus on 3 dB or 5 dB increments when executing measurements. It will allow you to get better answers than using 10 dB increments. Manufactures tend to use 10 dB increments, in order to make their loudspeakers look flat, across the frequency range. Since your response is very jagged within 10 dB increments, you may want to focus on why, there is such a deviation. Bear in mind, 10 dB increments is like moving from a 10-watt amplifier, to a 100-watt amplifier.

Best Regards,  
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2021 at 7:31pm
Elliot, those are at 5db increments/scale..?!

obviously the posted ones are a bit confusing due to undocumented varying distances etc., sorry, the blue one at the top is about +-3db within passband with minor eq though..
i have tried to investigate the on axis dip further today, turns out that one is factory based with that oem coax. its always there, no matter what.
slight off axis setups are good enough for me and my purposes for those cabs :) 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>