Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

look at tops to build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MHayes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: look at tops to build
    Posted: 15 April 2019 at 5:31pm
looking at building tops to go from 80 - 100hz up over 8 br subs. but don't know what to go for -
1. 4 x http://www.jobst-audio.de/public-address/m-serie/115-jm-sat212 - http://www.jobst-audio.de/public-address/m-serie/115-jm-sat212
    loaded with 18 Sound 12ND710 / ND1424bt / XR1464
issue is getting the crossover from the builder as it can take months for them to build and deliver

2. 4 x http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JMSKIT1581&browsemode=manufacturer - JAM Systems MT1581
   loaded with 1 x Oberton 15MB35, 1 x Sonitus MR8XT, 1 x Beyma TD164 Horn, 1 x Beyma 
   CP385Nd, 1
isuue is that I haven't heard any reviews

price is not an issue (within the above mentioned), Weight also is not an issue (max 45-50 kgs, ideally happy around 30kgs)

which one to go for? or are there any other ones?

Thanks,
Matt
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 12:35pm
Peter Morris's dual 12" plus BMS coax designs over on soundforums.net.
Haven't checked pricing wrt your suggestions above though so may be a little spendy.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

Peter Morris's dual 12" plus BMS coax designs over on soundforums.net.
Haven't checked pricing wrt your suggestions above though so may be a little spendy.

They’re pretty damn good but just be aware that to run them ‘properly’ you do need to spend good cash on the HF driver (ideally the HE variant of the coaxial BMS) and have proper DSP as well. I don’t think FIR is essential, at all, but if you’re not using a Lake or Powersoft platform you’ll need to be able to measure and align on and off axis to get the best results. Same for any box though, to be fair.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 1:25pm
The PM90/60 also works with the RCF ND950 1.4 , and only costs around 240 euros. 
MHayes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MHayes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 4:19pm
PM60's have always been on my mind and was religiously following it over soundforums about until a year ago. Only that HE was/is way above budget. Good to know ND950 is possible.

one issue is the to run them properly, still learning but I think I should be able to get by. I until now have come across a few situations where I was tested and was successful at making them sound good/bearable if not best, with just my ears. learning how to eq with the help of tools is a work in progress.

another issue is, internal crossover, don't want to be lugging extra amp, wires and more channels on my crossover. I know passive crossovers are the best way ahead. but as per what I think if they are designed well, then I don't want to add more to the signal chain for a 5% improvement.

so for now either building one of the above 2 mentioned tops, still tops my list over PM60.
but if PM60 (with RCF) is twice louder than the 2 mentioned above then its going to be the PM60s, as its already established that they sound super.

Thanks
Matt
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 4:37pm
What is your budget?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
MHayes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MHayes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 4:42pm
haven't set a budget, but over a course of 2-3 months about £3000-4000 for all four. can stretch a bit more.
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 5:33pm
If you're looking for a woodworking project and have the cash to spare, then please ignore my next comments...

Why build with that sort of budget? For that money you can buy a fairly serious pro audio mid-top that will actually have a resale value when the time comes. Hell, once you get into the £500-£700 a box region you're looking at some fantastic kit, let alone £1000 a box
MHayes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MHayes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 6:22pm
I haven't discarded that option. but I haven't seen one for that price (Used is not an option).
Was just recently looking at Yamaha DZR 12 (x 4 single) and comparing them to 4 x JM-sat212 (with 2 x 12ND710 + ND1424bt / XR1464) . I understand it's powered vs passive.
12nd710 as per what I have read is one of the best drivers with the highest sensitivity, so I doubt Yahama will be using a better driver than 12nd710's. 
also not worried about resale for now, more important is what price I pay today. ( I see a better value and quality in building than buying. also if something happened to the speaker I know where to get parts from rather than wait weeks for oems and I'm sure the loss on resale will be covered). 

also I could be wrong, maybe Yamaha (for eg) is better in terms of quality, coverage and spl. but that's the thing. I still don't completely understand how to read the spec sheet (which all of us have been warned to take it with a pinch of salt). even then the next thing is the overall tone, which is subjective and for that I don't have the option to do sis by side comparison.

Edited by MHayes - 16 April 2019 at 6:34pm
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 9:19am
So what's available at £1000 a box thats better than a pm60?
IvCu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvCu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 10:55pm
I'm running pm90 for few months now. 
Since first play and today there is night and day difference, they are just getting better and better. But as said above, measuring and experimenting is a must. I also have RCF ND950 in it Smile
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 11:40pm
You'd pick up a pair of Res4 for that price or thereabouts or enough EAW to make the next county cry.

I like home builds but your talking enough money to buy 2 pairs of floodlight plus spare money to build kicks. You're gonna have to be putting out some artisanal monk-grade homebrew to beat used pro tops.
Don't test the champignon sound
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>