Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a small 60x 40 horn for a 1" comp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a small 60x 40 horn for a 1" comp
    Posted: 16 January 2019 at 5:33pm
Hi everyone, I'm currently designing a 3 way horn loaded top with a B&C15ndl76 in my own mid horn and a sonitus mr8xt.

I have a pair of Beyma CD10fe but I need a very small horn to fit them on with a 60x40 dispersion. Here's a screenshot of the cabinet as it is in solidworks (second picture is the most recent iteration).

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 6:18pm
you should consider something better than Beyma CD10fe - it will seriously let you down at high volumes.

and it looks like nearly half the internal volume of your cab is wasted space!
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 6:18pm
how small are you hoping? and how high can the sonitus horn go?
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

you should consider something better than Beyma CD10fe - it will seriously let you down at high volumes.

and it looks like nearly half the internal volume of your cab is wasted space!

What would you suggest, something like the B&C DE250 ?

Working on the internals, It's tricky! 
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

how small are you hoping? and how high can the sonitus horn go?

Hoping as small as possible so I have the ability to put it in the horn mouth if needs be. 

Blue aran say 3khz  but from the sims it looks great 400HZ  to  2.5khz with a little eq boost after 2khz.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 6:45pm
choose a horn that fits your cab and gives you the dispersion you want. then choose a driver that's known to work well with it. what frequency range are you covering? do you want constant directivity or an exponential horn with narrowing directivity?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 6:46pm
Small 60x40 horns pretty much don't exist.  Narrow pattern control requires a larger mouth area.

I would recommend crossing at about 2.5kHz.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 7:16pm
there's an eighteensound one which is 210x210 i think. faital lth102 is about 230 wide by less high from memory.

the beyma one from the xtro plan which is now discontinued was the smallest i knew of.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 7:44pm
The Beyma TD164 as used by Blue Aran with the mid horn is about as small as you'll get while still having decent dispersion control.
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 10:58am
I use the beyma td164 with beyma cd10fe and i think it sounds awesome! I've used a large selection and have directly compared a B&C de250 on the same horn at several events and the difference is only apparent at really high SPL the B&C is slightly smoother less harsh response but with some EQ the beyma sounds just as good
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by smoore smoore wrote:

I use the beyma td164 with beyma cd10fe and i think it sounds awesome! I've used a large selection and have directly compared a B&C de250 on the same horn at several events and the difference is only apparent at really high SPL the B&C is slightly smoother less harsh response but with some EQ the beyma sounds just as good

Thanks for the info on the CD10fe, think I'll keep it for now and see if I like it! 

I'm still torn by the td164 and the faital pro lth102 but the td164 does have the correct dispersion for the cabinet.

on a side note I managed to shorten the horn significantly to reduce wasted space only loosing a small amount of usable range. 

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 10:26pm
if you are crossing as high as 2.5kHz then use the faital STH100. you will get much less throat distortion because of the faster flare rate.

if you look at the plots above 2.5kHz the STH100 is slightly wider dispersion but doesn't beam as much as the LTH102
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>