Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for some mentoring on a dream system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for some mentoring on a dream system
    Posted: 18 December 2017 at 8:00am
Working on my first system... 

Intention is to get this rig to 10–12k watts and [somewhat] be able to compete with a Void or Funktion-One system. Obviously will not be able to outperform it, but would like it to be able to stand respectably next to one. I know this is a MAJOR TASK.

The system will be playing mostly minimal techno, deep-abstract house (with plenty of real instrument samples and vocal elements), Nu Disco and thick weird downtempo.

Genre's are barely relevant now, with there being so many sub-genre's but I hope those categories help to classify a type of sound.

We currently have two newly finished X1's loaded with V1000-18's being driven (8ohms) by a Crown Macrotech 5000i. I think I should build two more X1's to get the subs running 4ohms (but looking for some advice before I do this). These sound absolutely amazing!

Mid/highs are temporarily a set of modified JRX-100's; Swapped out the factory compression drivers with Beyma CD10Fe 1"ers, disconnected the internal crossover and now running them passive. These sound great but will transition them to become the DJ monitors {{Thank you @nickyburnell for all your killer advice on this}}.

Looking for advice on how to develop the Mid/Top sections in the most high quality way possible.

My main handicap is my newbie-ness. That said, I have been involved in other aspects of sound for a very long time and somewhat technically adept. I am teaching myself the basics of speaker management (crossover, limiting, compression, etc) but my spare time is limited and these are very intricate subjects that time and experience play a huge role.

I have questions regarding the entire spectrum of this work but will keep it focused on the next bins to make (for now, lol, ;) )

I am deeply grateful for any conversations held / knowledge shared on this thread.

Edited by sugerman - 18 December 2017 at 8:02am
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2017 at 8:19am
Aman Gebru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2017 at 9:45am
One way would be to expand on the bass section you have now. If we look at one side of the system you could do 4 X1's driven from a Crown Macrotech 5000. 2 upper bass cabs of your choice, and 2 midtops cabs. For the mid tops I would go reflex and use a double 12" and 1.5" HF on a horn no wider than 60 degrees. Or if you like it a bit more smoother then a double 15" with 1.5" HF. This combo would require quite an expensive HF driver to play low enough to cross from the 15's. So the final system per side would be 4 x X1, 2 x upper bass, and 2 x midtop. It would be 4 way and need quite a few amps to drive it, but could sound very good if you get it right.

More fun would be to use the X1's you have for monitor duties with the JRX 100's on top, and build a new system.

I'd go for 6 long folded 18" horns per side. Think invader or wsxtra. For midtop I'd use 3 double 15" and 1.5" cabs with HF horns of 40 degrees wide in each cab. Chuck loads of big amps at this system and you could make some serious noise. Its a more simple 3 way system with lots of 15's doing low mid so it would be nice and warm and guey sounding.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2017 at 10:06am
Think something like this, but with 6 bass cabs positioned on there sides with the horns coupling.

kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2017 at 10:20am
hey

The problem with this discussion is always that there isn't just a single "dream system", everyone's dream system is different. 

For some people, a dream system is all about as much power as compact as possible. 2 super powerful 18" compact reflex subs, 2 super powerful mid hi's, that are all designed with the highest quality drivers and all built active so they can get the absolute most SPL out of a system that can still just about fit in the back of an estate car for their wedding band.

For others, they might not be able to afford the absolute highest quality everything, but can afford space. So they can use slightly less powerful amps, less drivers etc, but can afford to have stacks of huge big hornloaded cabs to squeeze every ounce of SPL out of what they can afford. 

So these are the kinds of questions you have to be able to answer in order to start to narrow things down, find out what is YOUR dream system. 

Do you have loads of transport and friends to be able to help you move big bulky horn cabs? Do you have cheap space to store them? Do you want to keep it fairly simple and go 3 way (subs then a 2 way mid top)? Do you want to get a bit more complicated and go 4 way? 5 way?  And if so do you have the experience and equipment to measure it all and set up all the crossovers and delays accurately?  etc etc etc.

In your case, making some decisions about your plan for tops will help to decide what you do with subs, with regards to crossover points.

The absolute best DIY tops available just now are what are now known as the PM speakers designed by a very experienced guy called Peter Morris. They come in 90 degree dispersion for using on their own (PM90), 60 degree version for using 2 a side if you want more SPL (PM60) or you could even stick a 40 degree horn if you wanted to go 3 aside. They have a ported horn double 12" section and a BMS coax compression driver, so are a 3 way speaker over all. Sound amazing, better than even almost all pro cabs, are still actually a relatively easy build, and are just light enough to still go on a pole mount if they need to. 

But they're expensive, they use high quality drivers throughout, and to really get the best from them need fairly expensive amps and FIR processing for the crossovers too (though still sound amazing by all accounts even with cheaper processing).

But in terms of your subs, if you chose to go with a design like this, or an MT style horn design from the plans on here or anything like that, while you'll get amazing SPL and sound you'll be luckily to hit 100Hz as a low cut off.  And while the X1 sounds great for what it does, it's very much a low sub, so you might need to look at a kick bin of some kind in between these. This takes you up to a 5 way system, which would sound awesome if all put together properly but it's a lot of amps and processing and thing to put together to get there. 

Going with a simpler top design, will mean you won't get quite the same SPL, but it'll allow you to cross over a little lower and maybe just go straight from the top to the X1 without a kick bin in between. this might be a 3 way design a la F1 style cabs that has a a low bandpass horn section, with a mid cone and a comp, or maybe just a 2 way reflex design somewhat similar to what you have or maybe going with a double 12" along with a compression driver for some extra SPL to keep up with a second pair of X1s.

So yeah, as in all things sound there are no easy answers, it all depends on what you circumstances are, and how far you want to push things lol! 

I think what i'd maybe look at initially is another pair of X1 and a set of reflex tops, maybe 15" plus a compression driver, or even a very powerful 15" and a coax compression driver if you really wanted to push the boat out.  For quite bass heavy dance music this'll give you a good balance and be relitivly easy to transport. 

Going forward from that, as you begin to make money and invest more in the system, if you've designed the 15" cleverly with a monitor wedge angle on them so they're multipurpose, they can become your DJ monitors either as wedges or on a stick and you can look at bigger hornloaded tops and adding kick bins to your X1's to bridge the gap inbetween. 

K

(though of course, soon as you think you've got a plan and start working towards it, gear lust takes over and you always want to change it and make it bigger and better! LOL)

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 18 December 2017 at 11:18am
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2017 at 10:20am
If you are sticking with x1s there was a guy on the show of your soundsystem pages using a lot of them, if i remember correctly it was pretty awesome, could be worth looking to get some idea for mids and highs.
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Aman Gebru Aman Gebru wrote:

One way would be to expand on the bass section you have now. If we look at one side of the system you could do 4 X1's driven from a Crown Macrotech 5000. 2 upper bass cabs of your choice, and 2 midtops cabs. For the mid tops I would go reflex and use a double 12" and 1.5" HF on a horn no wider than 60 degrees. Or if you like it a bit more smoother then a double 15" with 1.5" HF. This combo would require quite an expensive HF driver to play low enough to cross from the 15's. So the final system per side would be 4 x X1, 2 x upper bass, and 2 x midtop. It would be 4 way and need quite a few amps to drive it, but could sound very good if you get it right.

More fun would be to use the X1's you have for monitor duties with the JRX 100's on top, and build a new system.

I'd go for 6 long folded 18" horns per side. Think invader or wsxtra. For midtop I'd use 3 double 15" and 1.5" cabs with HF horns of 40 degrees wide in each cab. Chuck loads of big amps at this system and you could make some serious noise. Its a more simple 3 way system with lots of 15's doing low mid so it would be nice and warm and guey sounding.

Thank you for your advice!

It does seem I have painted myself into a bit of a corner with the X1's. I would love to build the system while still using the X1's but not if it sends me the in the wrong direction. I def think a 4 way system would be too much for me to manage. I appreciate your input!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 1:19am
Its also worth mentioning that how you setup your system is probably more important that what its constituent parts are.

If body building is 90% kitchen and 10% gym, then top sound systems are 90% setup and 10% joinery skills.

Don't even try and learn how its done at a top level unless you have the time to commit your whole life to it. Just pay someone like Toasty Ghost, who has done this for years day in day out, to come round with his box of toys and get the best from whatever system you decide to go with. It will make much more difference than if you went for this type of cab over that one. So go with designs with the least THD and that are phase coherent over and beyond there intended bandwidth and all will be fine. Also make sure any design you use is able to maintain phase coherency at all output levels. Some very well know systems measure very well at low to medium SPL's only to completely change characteristics at high SPL's, thus making it very difficult to work or mix on.

It would also be beneficial if you used top grade amplifiers ideally with FIR processing capabilities. This would require you use a design that already has EASE data available, or you could do your own measurements. This does not require an anechoic chamber and a mechanised rotation arm, although it helps and is better if you do have this. There is a small DSP unit (300 quid) that can be used with the speaker outside on a day with zero wind and very low levels of background noise. You hook the box up to a PC and it tells you where to position the mic around the speaker. It will do this a lot of times, but after its finished all the measurements it will give you a file that can be used to generate another file that can be used in DSP software such as Armonia and others.

If you can get some FIR filtering on your system then what you choice to build is of secondary importance. Just as long as the designs hit your SPL and dispersion requirements, they have enough overlap between adjacent bands and have worthy phase coherence.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 1:32am
Originally posted by sugerman sugerman wrote:

Thank you for your advice!

It does seem I have painted myself into a bit of a corner with the X1's. I would love to build the system while still using the X1's but not if it sends me the in the wrong direction. I def think a 4 way system would be too much for me to manage. I appreciate your input!

A lot also depends on how radical you want to get and are here. Some will use very strange and different designs just because they want to be different. That's who they are as people and it makes the world a better place having there different slant on it. Some will want a pile of 1850 horns with MT (whatever) midtops as its a known quantity and it just works. So only you can decide where this goes, and if you don't know then seek spiritual guidance.

I once heard a stack of 4 X1's at a shootout in London. A lot of top soundmen were there from major touring companies to hi ranking roots systems, and all I can say is that everyone was quite shocked what was coming out of those 4 X1's. So don't write them off too quick.

sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 1:42am

Its also worth mentioning that how you setup your system is probably more important that what its constituent parts are.

If body building is 90% kitchen and 10% gym, then top sound systems are 90% setup and 10% joinery skills.

Don't even try and learn how its done at a top level unless you have the time to commit your whole life to it. Just pay someone like Toasty Ghost, who has done this for years day in day out, to come round with his box of toys and get the best from whatever system you decide to go with. It will make much more difference than if you went for this type of cab over that one. So go with designs with the least THD and that are phase coherent over and beyond there intended bandwidth and all will be fine. Also make sure any design you use is able to maintain phase coherency at all output levels. Some very well know systems measure very well at low to medium SPL's only to completely change characteristics at high SPL's, thus making it very difficult to work or mix on.

It would also be beneficial if you used top grade amplifiers ideally with FIR processing capabilities. This would require you use a design that already has EASE data available, or you could do your own measurements. This does not require an anechoic chamber and a mechanised rotation arm, although it helps and is better if you do have this. There is a small DSP unit (300 quid) that can be used with the speaker outside on a day with zero wind and very low levels of background noise. You hook the box up to a PC and it tells you where to position the mic around the speaker. It will do this a lot of times, but after its finished all the measurements it will give you a file that can be used to generate another file that can be used in DSP software such as Armonia and others.

If you can get some FIR filtering on your system then what you choice to build is of secondary importance. Just as long as the designs hit your SPL and dispersion requirements, they have enough overlap between adjacent bands and have worthy phase coherence.

This makes a lot of sense. I live in Bali Indonesia so finding THAT guy with the deep experience to come and tweak things into shape may be a bit of a mission, but I will make that happen one way or the other.

I am going to research the rest of your message... I need definitions for the key terms in there to completely grasp the equation(s) at play, but the overall message is clear and appreciated. Going to study all of that!

sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 1:46am

I once heard a stack of 4 X1's at a shootout in London. A lot of top soundmen were there from major touring companies to hi ranking roots systems, and all I can say is that everyone was quite shocked what was coming out of those 4 X1's. So don't write them off too quick.

I am definitely not writing them off! What I have done so far with what I have has shocked a lot of people for its size. As I said I do not have experience in this exact field buy I have a solid technological intuition and learn fast. I throw a small 75 person party with this kit and everyone kept coming up to me and being like, f**k, the sound is so dope! SO yeah, I love these X1's just trying to understand how to get them to a place to throw a nice BIG party (outdoors) without getting into 4/5 way complexity.

sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 2:10am
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

hey

The problem with this discussion is always that there isn't just a single "dream system", everyone's dream system is different. 

For some people, a dream system is all about as much power as compact as possible. 2 super powerful 18" compact reflex subs, 2 super powerful mid hi's, that are all designed with the highest quality drivers and all built active so they can get the absolute most SPL out of a system that can still just about fit in the back of an estate car for their wedding band.

For others, they might not be able to afford the absolute highest quality everything, but can afford space. So they can use slightly less powerful amps, less drivers etc, but can afford to have stacks of huge big hornloaded cabs to squeeze every ounce of SPL out of what they can afford. 

So these are the kinds of questions you have to be able to answer in order to start to narrow things down, find out what is YOUR dream system. 

Do you have loads of transport and friends to be able to help you move big bulky horn cabs? Do you have cheap space to store them? Do you want to keep it fairly simple and go 3 way (subs then a 2 way mid top)? Do you want to get a bit more complicated and go 4 way? 5 way?  And if so do you have the experience and equipment to measure it all and set up all the crossovers and delays accurately?  etc etc etc.

Thank you for this precision! I would like to go the highest quality route but will need to do it incrementally and turn some revenue on the system as it builds. Even as it is now I can rent it out for weddings and actually sounds really good. BTW I live in Bali Indonesia. There are a bunch of systems here but the focus is much more on watts quantity than quality. I love the idea of every watt being the best it can be.

Storage is not an issue.
My experience is very limited so anything above a 3 way system seems dangerous.

Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

In your case, making some decisions about your plan for tops will help to decide what you do with subs, with regards to crossover points.

The absolute best DIY tops available just now are what are now known as the PM speakers designed by a very experienced guy called Peter Morris. They come in 90 degree dispersion for using on their own (PM90), 60 degree version for using 2 a side if you want more SPL (PM60) or you could even stick a 40 degree horn if you wanted to go 3 aside. They have a ported horn double 12" section and a BMS coax compression driver, so are a 3 way speaker over all. Sound amazing, better than even almost all pro cabs, are still actually a relatively easy build, and are just light enough to still go on a pole mount if they need to. 

But they're expensive, they use high quality drivers throughout, and to really get the best from them need fairly expensive amps and FIR processing for the crossovers too (though still sound amazing by all accounts even with cheaper processing).

But in terms of your subs, if you chose to go with a design like this, or an MT style horn design from the plans on here or anything like that, while you'll get amazing SPL and sound you'll be luckily to hit 100Hz as a low cut off.  And while the X1 sounds great for what it does, it's very much a low sub, so you might need to look at a kick bin of some kind in between these. This takes you up to a 5 way system, which would sound awesome if all put together properly but it's a lot of amps and processing and thing to put together to get there. 

Going with a simpler top design, will mean you won't get quite the same SPL, but it'll allow you to cross over a little lower and maybe just go straight from the top to the X1 without a kick bin in between. this might be a 3 way design a la F1 style cabs that has a a low bandpass horn section, with a mid cone and a comp, or maybe just a 2 way reflex design somewhat similar to what you have or maybe going with a double 12" along with a compression driver for some extra SPL to keep up with a second pair of X1s.

So yeah, as in all things sound there are no easy answers, it all depends on what you circumstances are, and how far you want to push things lol! 

Well.... I am an extremest and it is a constant battle to try and keep that urge at bay but I should be real careful not to get over my head. What I do know is the reflex mid/tops that are on there know sound really good for what it is, so it must mean that the combination of the X1 and the reflex type design are well paired.

I think what i'd maybe look at initially is another pair of X1 and a set of reflex tops, maybe 15" plus a compression driver, or even a very powerful 15" and a coax compression driver if you really wanted to push the boat out.  For quite bass heavy dance music this'll give you a good balance and be relitivly easy to transport. 

Yeah this sound like a very logical step. Again, my main priority here is to build the system in an incremental and modular way, in that each iteration is usable = rent-ale so we can generate revenue to continue building. We have an edge on the market here and if played right, this can go real well.

Can you recommend a specific "very powerful 15" and a coax compression driver" combo and/or a cab design for it? Or do you mean to purchase one?

Going forward from that, as you begin to make money and invest more in the system, if you've designed the 15" cleverly with a monitor wedge angle on them so they're multipurpose, they can become your DJ monitors either as wedges or on a stick and you can look at bigger hornloaded tops and adding kick bins to your X1's to bridge the gap inbetween. 

That sounds exactly right. For now I imagine to move the JRX-mods onto sticks (run 2 way passive with a Crown XLi 3500 running the 15's and a Crest CPX 900 on the compressions) as monitors, they sound really good.

E
K

(though of course, soon as you think you've got a plan and start working towards it, gear lust takes over and you always want to change it and make it bigger and better! LOL)
[/QUOTE]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>