Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for some mentoring on a dream system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Behringer ECM8000 is a surprisingly good budget measurement mic. Plug into a USB soundcard like a Tascam us122 or similar (make sure it has phantom power on the mic input) - I've picked up this combo used for about 60 quid and there's free or low cost software that'll give you a response plot with these tools and a decent interface to analyse it. Room EQ Wizard ie.

I bought the DBX RTA mic when I got the Driverack PA2, thinking it would be helpful but as I know understand the Driverack is no good. Is their mic usable?
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 1:38pm
The dbx RTA mic can be used with a sound card and software if you want, yes.
It’s on a par with the ECM or the Rational Acoustics RTA mic.
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Room EQ Wizard ie.
Nice!
Now I just need to figure out how to use that data to then make adjustments....
Seems like the Master Handbook of Acoustics is a good reference?

sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

The dbx RTA mic can be used with a sound card and software if you want, yes.
It’s on a par with the ECM or the Rational Acoustics RTA mic.
OK perfect, so I can get started over here....

sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 2:19am
Well, I pretty proud to say that after studying what was discussed here I was able to get REW measurements and after some hours got the room's valleys and peaks somewhat compensated for. The difference is night and day. The system is sooo much tighter, the bass super clean and punchy and this is all in a CONCRETE ROOM. 

The part I am most surprised in is that the low end basically stays in the room, where it used to bellow out and could be hear from a couple hundred meter away. Now you barely hear it 30 meters away! The sound is staying in the room. I guess that is a measure of success. Never even occurred to me, it is kind of mind blowing and makes perfect sense.

A sound engineer friend of mine came for a listen and said it I nailed it. Want to thank everyone who offered advice here, gave me the basic clues I needed to touch the tip of the iceberg.

I can certainly see one needs to dedicate their life to mastering the complexity there, so will be looking for someone that has long term experience to help me but in the meantime will continue learning.

I would like the keep measuring and adjusting; I am using the DBX Pa2 which I have heard is a total piece of junk. I would rather learn on a capable piece of equipment rather than one with inherent handicaps. 

+ Is the Behringer DCX2496 a big difference, or do I need to invest in a more professional crossover to really begin hearing the difference?

+ Can anyone suggest a good rack mount PEQ (or have one they might want to sell?)?

Thanks!!

E

Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 10:31am
Don't think like you're going to make or break your system by switching your crossover. Don't take forum hyperbole so literally - just because someone says "xxx is total junk", don't imagine like it's actually crapping up your signal chain unless you have very good reason to believe that it is.

They were probably referring to reliability, interface and features, in their personal opinion. A digital crossover isn't likely to be a weak link in your chain of signal quality. Thomann web store has the DBX PA2 rated 4.7 out of 5 with 79 reviews, Behringer Ultradrive @ 4.5 with 447 reviews. 

Edited by Hemisphere - 02 January 2018 at 10:32am
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 11:09am
Thank you @Hemisphere for your perspective, appreciated! 

I am super happy with everything happening in the system right now, so won't go fixing things that re not broken. That said, I would love a finer grain control over the PEQ both on the Pre X-over (I am doing this in the PA2 at the moment, which has 8 nodes and is not zoomable (maybe that is normal) and of the X-overed bands. I guess higher end units have more granularity — Aside from that things are sounding tighter than ever.

I guess next move is an External (maybe analogue) Graphic EQ, just a gut feeling but i think it would make a difference. Does that sound right?
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 12:12pm
I have a Klark Teknik DN-410 if you're after a real deal analogue PEQ. Bought it a few years back, never really used it much but I did get it serviced with the intention to move it on...
Don't test the champignon sound
sugerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2018 at 12:30pm
@Meat I think I am interested in that, and happen to be coming to France in two weeks.

Trying to get a grasp on the necessary components to get the rich sound I am after (which getting a lot closer already).

I love the idea of using analogue gear for its warmth and "realness" and intuitively feel that it will bring out even more depth in the Marcotech 5000i - Is that true or my own fantasy?

Love that you can get 10 bands on it!

The DN-410 looks real nice and the scale toggle seems like it I can get enough precision to target problem zones?

Edited by sugerman - 02 January 2018 at 12:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123