Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

looking to buy a modern boom box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waurma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking to buy a modern boom box
    Posted: 19 April 2013 at 4:23am
Hey lads, 

title does as it says on the tin! looking for something for the summer trips that I can drag to the beach/festivals etc! 

anything cool on the market at the minute that is worth a look at?
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2013 at 10:27am
Days of decent Panasonic portable's are gone I'm afriad! JVC do something that may do what you want. That or its build time!

amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2013 at 11:14am
2x minirig? same price as that jvc monster will sound better
or
build a boominator style machine if you have bit of workshop...
waurma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waurma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2013 at 4:04am
no workshop sadly! hate to say I don't have time/skill for it! 

was looking at some of the TDK offerings but I'm not hugely impressed by their lack of grills and would much prefer L-I batteries to Ds any day! 

I like the idea of the minirig but would love if there was a more 'boombox' style version of it!
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2013 at 4:31am
Not sure what the market's like over there, but here a bunch of those things were being sold for way too much - whilst they had interesting features there was no "perfect" unit (even taking in to account varying needs)... sales were poor and stores started doing insane clearout specials.

Might be worth compromising your needs and buying something really cheap on special than paying full price for something that's not that great. A bit of DIY work (replacing batteries with decent rechargables, adding grilles/handles) could make them much more usable.
mans1000 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mans1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2013 at 3:30pm
+1 on the JVC . Absolute monster sound for a portable.
"The earth provides enough to satisfy every mans needs...but not every mans greed."
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2013 at 3:49pm

Originally posted by mans1000 mans1000 wrote:

+1 on the JVC . Absolute monster sound for a portable.

If by monster you mean pitiful, we agree. The fact that the JVC Ka-Boom was the best boombox on the market, and it couldn't even be made to sound decent after replacing the speakers with decent ones instead of the £0.50 chinese crap that are in them and replacing the amp, was one of the main reasons I designed the Boominator in the first place.

Very little has changed in the market. The JVC is still one of the best, and in that you know the market is poor to say the least. DIY is your best option, and it's a lot easier than you might think.

Joris.vd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joris.vd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2013 at 6:35pm
Is the jvd honestly better than the sharp one? I don't like the look of the sharp one at all but I figured (hoped) that a company who used to make such kickass boomboxes like sharp would atleast make their new boombox decent too especially with all the marketing of the oldschool sharp boombox is back and all...
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2013 at 7:59pm
for the moneys spent on that jvc you can have a pair of proper efficient speakers, add an amp (sure electronics, or hifimediy, they work straight out the box) battery you buy online,  and couple of cables and you have something working and most likely louder and better sounding.

building a box from wood is not that complicated, in the worst case you can cut it on your balcony with £15 jigsaw.

£200 boombox off the shelf

£120 pair of nice drivers (eminence basslite s2010)
£40 amp (sure electronics)
£40  battery (couple of 7ah sla)

add couple of quid for cables switches bits and bobs. find a wardrobe on the skip re use the wood.

Edited by amlu - 20 April 2013 at 8:03pm
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2013 at 11:57pm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sharp-GXM10HOR-Boombox-Entertainment-Stage-Sound-System-100W-X-Bass-USB-Open-Box-/281040839651#vi-content

1,250 Watts!!!!! ;)

Seriouly though for 99 quid it looks worth a shot if pre-made Boombox is what you're after, and if it really does output 100w RMS as it claims that could easily be re-routed into some beefier speakers (even additional external boxes/subs etc - 100w into some PA speakers can give a massive output!)

Edited by Hemisphere - 21 April 2013 at 12:02am
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2013 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sharp-GXM10HOR-Boombox-Entertainment-Stage-Sound-System-100W-X-Bass-USB-Open-Box-/281040839651#vi-content

1,250 Watts!!!!! ;)

Seriouly though for 99 quid it looks worth a shot if pre-made Boombox is what you're after, and if it really does output 100w RMS as it claims that could easily be re-routed into some beefier speakers (even additional external boxes/subs etc - 100w into some PA speakers can give a massive output!)

At least it's got bright orange lights that flash when the bass speakers play so you know when there was supposed to be bass. Probably because you wouldn't otherwise know. That's about the most useful feature of that £99 doorstop I reckon.

If that boombox really did 100W total output then the designers are prime Darwin Award candidates as that would be phenomenally stupid on an epic scale as that would mean the batteries would last less than 17 minutes if you wasted quality alkaline batteries on it. 

Edited by Saturnus - 21 April 2013 at 8:02am
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2013 at 8:05am
+2 on the jvc , i got mine second hand on ebay and its great decent enough sound and its got a 12v input so i plan on getting a decent lipo 12v and see how it goes on that..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>