Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

looking to buy a modern boom box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2013 at 8:07am
And you'll find these things dont have full output on batteries , mine is certainly louder on the mains , which is understandable. Still plenty of clout for most little garden gatherings etc etc
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2013 at 8:18am
Fast advice for people looking for a decent consumer boombox. Stop looking. They're all crap. Any, any, DIY build you find anywhere is better.

If you want something simple then go to a flea market or browse the 2nd hand market for a pair of old (I stress that they must be old as efficiency is a lot better on older speaker) bookshelf speaker. Find 2 pieces of wood and a some sort of handle in a skip. Screw the cabinets together using the wood with enough distance to fit a 7Ah SLA, and buy an £10 Tripath mkIII (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MKll-Tripath-TA2024-fully-finished-tested-pcb-2x15watt-/250876438216?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3a6966a6c8). Add paint and you're done. Easily better than any and all consumer boomboxes on the market.

Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2013 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sharp-GXM10HOR-Boombox-Entertainment-Stage-Sound-System-100W-X-Bass-USB-Open-Box-/281040839651#vi-content

1,250 Watts!!!!! ;)

Seriouly though for 99 quid it looks worth a shot if pre-made Boombox is what you're after, and if it really does output 100w RMS as it claims that could easily be re-routed into some beefier speakers (even additional external boxes/subs etc - 100w into some PA speakers can give a massive output!)

At least it's got bright orange lights that flash when the bass speakers play so you know when there was supposed to be bass. Probably because you wouldn't otherwise know. That's about the most useful feature of that £99 doorstop I reckon.

If that boombox really did 100W total output then the designers are prime Darwin Award candidates as that would be phenomenally stupid on an epic scale as that would mean the batteries would last less than 17 minutes if you wasted quality alkaline batteries on it. 

Obviously 100w RMS translated for marketing speak would mean (at best) 100 watts peak amplifier output before unacceptable distortion, so the speakers would see something like 15 watts true RMS signal. 

While I generally agree that DIY will certainly yield better results for less money in any situation, sometimes, for whatever (quite possibly irrational, illogical, or whatever) reason, for example "I want my music source to look like a spaceship", a pre-built boombox is desired. In this case the Sharp seems like an acceptable solution, it's definitely not worth spending more and it wouldn't be worth spending less either.

Edited by Hemisphere - 21 April 2013 at 5:04pm
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2013 at 5:09am

If you want something simple then... 
Putting the ghetto in "ghettoblaster", but I love the idea Big smile
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2013 at 12:28pm
My guess is that Saturnus has not heard the JVC boombox recently as the sound is really pretty good. It'll never sound hifi but it's still impressive, I prefer the sound of the boombox to the minirig, but the minirig wins on most other fronts. The only criticisms I have are that the battery life on D size is pityful, and the plastic end caps are too hard and should have been made from rubber or at least ABS.
me so horny, me love you long throw.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2013 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

My guess is that Saturnus has not heard the JVC boombox recently as the sound is really pretty good.

I heard one of the new models about 3 weeks ago. Not much change in sound quality. A slight turn for the worse in the bass, and some  improvements in midrange but still pathetic considering the price.

You have to remember that the largest models are more than all the parts needed for a full Boominator sans wood. At that price you expect something that can play just reasonably loud and well, as well as having long battery life. The JVCs fulfill none of those requirements.

Edited by Saturnus - 22 April 2013 at 12:43pm
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2013 at 1:17pm

Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

My guess is that Saturnus has not heard the JVC boombox recently as the sound is really pretty good.

I heard one of the new models about 3 weeks ago. Not much change in sound quality. A slight turn for the worse in the bass, and some  improvements in midrange but still pathetic considering the price.

Someone I know picked up (old version of)  that JVC thing .... 20 quid because the CD player bit was knackered. He was running it from a sizeable SLA battery + inverter (because he hadn't spotted the 12V DC connector LOL)

Anyway it made a reasonable amount of noise and boom for the size I guess .... but I'd agree that you don't have to try that hard to make something better and a good deal more power-efficient.

I think they use 10 x D-cells ...... which if alkaline would be 15V when fresh. Seems highly likely that the "12V" connector would hook into the circuit same place as the internal battery terminals.
But its known that they're "louder on mains power" ...... so we could probably assume that the internal power rail would be around 18-20V when running on AC (which sounds about right for the power ratings I think).
In the context of playing a bit of music on an outdoor market stall .... well its OK - reasonably convenient, but likely pretty poor power efficiency.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Moller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2013 at 2:13pm
I have a JVC boomblaster. An older one with tape instead of a ipod dock. And we have used it a fair bit in the park, so never needed it to be crazy loud.

I'm not finding the sound quality as bad as suggested here (unless you need to be loud). I agree with slaz that you could build something louder, better sounding, more efficient etc. but the boomblaster is an easy alternative to building something yourself.

I used mine with a 12 Ah SLA where i soldered a fuse holder and a female connector for this cable:

http://elektronik-lavpris.dk/p99926/N-CAR-008_Boomblaster_powerkabel_for_bil_1meter/. 

It worked pretty well with the SLA. I would recommend using D-cells as you would go bankrupt :)

A thing i noticed when using the 12 V input, is that the background light in the display doesn't come on.

One point twenty-one jiggawatts PMPO!
MrRaMPageZz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrRaMPageZz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 1:56am
i got these last week and they are amazing .. sound is crystal clear, bone crunching bass.. one bad thing is tho it cost loads to run for D Batterys 
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:03pm
"Bone-crunching bass" from an off the shelf boombox? Have you been reading their marketing materials? :D
mans1000 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mans1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:33pm
As the OP says 'modern boom box' .Why the hell would you want to spend £200+ on making one(not forgetting the time and effort) when you can get a decent 'portable' for under £50!(what I paid for my tape deck JVC for example....) He's not having a rave! If the boominator is that good, how comes I have never heard of anyone owning one( no disrespect). It's probably coz they want exactly that what is stated in the OP, a modern boombox.
"The earth provides enough to satisfy every mans needs...but not every mans greed."
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

"Bone-crunching base" from an off the shelf boombox? Have you been reading their marketing materials? :D
he might've dropped it and broken a toe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>