Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LS "ring" mounted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LS "ring" mounted
    Posted: 03 March 2010 at 12:30pm
Hiho

Wondering no topic found (simply uses the wrong keywords !?)

From mdf/gfk-car-hifi-build I know  LS -stainless steel/redbrass-"rings"  used to strength the loudspeaker admission.
Why this does nobody use here!?
Ply-wall-thicknesses already more than sufficiently!?
Disadvantages (air-flow-channel for ex.) > advantages!?

Improbably that nobody came so far, theems that the're other reasons.

(Tries to) make two possible shematics:

1.)    2.)

[red= LS | black= steel-rings | blue= ply]

If there's a topic outside allready that I've just don't find or this idea is even the dumbest ya ever have read please lettin me know, thanks! Tongue
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 1:38pm
Que? Do you mean 2 rings of steel, 1 under the basket and 1 on top? as a sandwich? ring+basket+ply+ring that holds by the bolts?
Pirlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 1:58pm
Yes, sandwitch
Te other shown option were "ring-basket-ring-ply" or maybe just one on the top.

(Rings CNC-cut/mill for matching the ls-basket 100%)

I've build my car-hifi-doorboards with it and it ends in a better result but I think car-hifi and PA are two different animals?!

LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 2:13pm
I think this is just a thing to make it look better. Maybe give some benefits when mounted directly in the thin cardoor panel...If you build a cab with 18mm brich ply 13layer, and a top notch 18" driver like PD1850, I think that this will not do anything to improve. It's much easier to use dubble baffels or make some support ribs in the baffle, it's more the hole baffle that should be strong, not only around the speaker. PA speakers with a cast aluminium frame is prob. heavy enough to get the job done as the speaker is designed for.

But this is only what I think Wink
Pirlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 3:46pm
Ok, thanks for let me know.

Just scrabble options at the moment before start building seriously, my opinion was a ring widened then the chassis, maybe with notches to fit well, to maximise the contact-area of chassis and ply - "much-helps-much" - but seems not necessary after ya description.
 Post Reply Post Reply