Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Macro-Tech MA5000vz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 3:23am
Think bass, think Crest  (not CA though)
login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 5:34pm
what do you have against the CA18 then mike?

CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 2:24am
Not gutsy enough

but you don't have to listen to me
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 9:50am
I have heard enough people say Crest Pro series sounds better than Crown to accept it.

But once and for all, why is there a shadow over Crest reliability?

Many, many people have Crown VZ5's, but I rarely ever here about reliability nightmares not due to operator neglect.

However failure/breakdown stories abound regarding Crest 9001, which is unfortunately why, I would never buy 1x now.

Edited by levyte357 - 29 January 2008 at 9:51am
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 2:24pm
The main problem with the Crests (and it affected the CA & Pro's alike as far as i know) was that in the years before they were bought by Peavey they had major problems with PSU design. Entire batches of transformers were faulty and caused the things to blow - there were some of the major superclub installs in the late nineties which had entire amp racks blowing up.

They were sorted out and most of the major companies that had installed or were touring the amps had replacement parts shipped from Crest and since then they've been pretty reliable but the incidents were enough to make some companies switch to different brands - its where MC2 got its first major inroad into the UK install market from.

Aside from the PSU faults the amps are fine. They do blow output devices occasionally if they get too hot at 2R and the fans in the CA series can stall and burn themselves out if you let them get too clogged up with crap in poorly ventilated racks but aside from that they're pretty good amps, if you don't mind lugging around lumps of iron that is. But then the macrotechs suffer from that problem.

In terms of sound none  of the CA, Pro or Macrotech amps are perfect and they're all now dated technology, people evangelise and romanticise about them never being bettered and stuff but you don't see many of the major hire co's still carting them about and nobodies installing them as first choice any more in the UK. Which you prefer depends on just how much low end distortion and colouration you like I guess!
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 9:28pm
Don't you all find that VZ's munch cones for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 10:26pm
Oh, just slightly.  There's a local venue running PS15's and 18" reflex subs.  It has previously been running on either EV P3000's or Camco Vortex 6's.  They blew a driver and/or it was too loud so the amps were changed to MA3600VZ's for less power.  Since then the number of blown drivers has gone through the roof!

Part of the problem is that unless you fit a correctly setup PIP-Clip card there are NO limiters on the macrotechs and no clip lights that ordinary people notice.

At least with the Crests the limiters are pretty good and there's a very obvious red light to tell you that the limiter has been engaged to stop you driving a square wave into the speakers.  Same with the P3000's, Camco's all have good inbuilt limiters.

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 10:42pm
Has everyone seen the copper plated Anniversary edition of the VZs?
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by opus jody opus jody wrote:

Yep...they must love the taste of paper cones or something?

Used one once...never again.

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 12:12am
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Many, many people have Crown VZ5's, but I rarely ever here about reliability nightmares not due to operator neglect.

Apart from the Ma3600, which I know munches drivers like pacman.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 4:02am
Originally posted by opus jody opus jody wrote:

I have my 5000s close to 15 years and, never lost a driver. Crown engineered their amplifiers from a technical point of view and, offered their manual using the same concept.

The average amp manufacter offers clip indicators, where crown's indicators take a different approach. This is why the uninformed will assume the lights work just as any other amplifier in which it does not. Which in turn, will end up with a good amount of dead woofers.

There's also not cut back power. The harder you drive it, the more output it will deliver...with distortion to match. So, if someone cannot hear the difference between clean output and distorted output they will find them selves constantly reconing speakers.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Preacher View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

So, if someone cannot hear the difference between clean output and distorted output they will find them selves constantly reconing speakers.

Very true, you got to know what your doing when playing with big boy toysWink

I have used several VZs over the years, never had a problem once, because I use them with care. Treat it with respect and your drivers will survive. Most touring companies don't use them due to weight more than because they pop cones. But if you are doing hires that will not require an engineer to be with the rack all night (party stuff etc.), then I would use something else. As most DJ/wanna be engineers will just turn it up, keep it clipping, killing drivers because they still hear distortion as being louder/better.
Stone Lion Sound System, The Garden City Rockers. It's all about the music & the vibe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>