Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manifold mid-bass horn entry???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredos666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manifold mid-bass horn entry???
    Posted: 28 October 2008 at 5:39pm
Anybody know how to deal with speaker parameter for a ''V'' manifold with 2 speakers at the mouth of a horn in hornrespons software? I whant to try dual 15'' in ''V'' manifold with low frequency horn (100-400Hz). I whant to use 1 horn in folded design for low frequency part of hight power top....I just did'nt come to any conclusion on how to simulate it with hornrespons at the mouth area...Thanks for help if any!

Fredos
fredos666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredos666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2008 at 2:43pm
No Ideas? 72 views, no clue? Should just make SD X2 and consider ''V'' manifold as negative expansion horn? What about VAS?

Fredos
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2008 at 2:46pm
Depends on the manifold type - could you draw one?
Away on extended leave.
fredos666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredos666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2008 at 6:32pm

Here my idea...

Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 12:23am
Model it with two drivers (hornresp has a capability for this - see Labhorn), or split in in half and model both sides.
Away on extended leave.
fredos666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredos666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 1:49am
Heuuu...Nice to get advice from outside...I did'nt see it in that (simple!) way! I have think more than a week on how to, as you show me, view from outside open new minding! Thanks a lot, I'm going to hornresp-it! I will keep you posted if I go with prototype! What do you think, seem promising?

Fredos
fredos666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredos666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 1:51am
I just see that it seem that I will have to configure the ''V'' in the other way way for proper mouth-entrance matching...
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 7:24am
The whole volume contained within the "V", combined with the volumes in front of the speaker cones, will be included as front chamber.  The throat would be the smaller entrance from the V manifold to the horn itself.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 2:24pm
Centauri - in your dual 15" C-bin, each driver is coupled to it's own horn before they join at the main horn. What benefit do you think this might provide?

I'm trying to reach 350Hz, so I'm reluctant to go for a design with two 15" at the end of one horn in case I get it wrong.

The only arrangement I could think of which might work is dual 15", directly facing each other, with a phase plug in between to equalize path length.

Not sure whether to try this out or just go for the simple option and build straight horns, which will entail cabinets over a metre deep.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 3:13pm
Greets - It's sunny here in Canada!

If you want to reach 350hz - you can either compression load the driver as in an ordinary horn (even look into FK1's phase plugged kick bins for inspiration) which plays nice with a gentle fold, or use a large throat to take advantage of a driver's individual response, a la the classic Altec throat. You can keep it relatively straight if you go this path, think Martin 215 MkII. There is a post somewhere on this - on a thread that mentioned the A7.
Away on extended leave.
fredos666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredos666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 4:01pm
I can go lower than 300-400Hz...I plan to use a 10'' im mid area with a 2'' on our custom 40x60 wave guide for hight...My concern is about mid bass, 100-200Hz. I need lot of output to match with our double 18'' folded horn sub. We drive them with 6000 watts each and I whant a top that match them. That's why I'm looking for powerfull mid-bass section, but still compact. The xtro seem good, but I whant to go with a 10'' mid-hi section to have enought output to match with sub and mid bass. I dont trust the 8'' section (even if the B&C speaker is really good!) to support live band. We mainly do live gig, inside and outside, most of the time Rock and metal band, so I need something strong in mid-hi section. Normally we use 8 double 18'' folded horn sub, 8 15'' mid section (horn loaded), 8 10'' mid-hi section and 8 2'' driver. For now, the bottle neck of our system are the mid-bass (15'') section. We can crank the sub to at least 6-8db without going in limiter, same for mid-hi, I dont talk about the 2'' section...But, even with 1000watts per mid-bass section, we are always in limiter...That make me sad each time because I hate compression/limiting.

Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 4:08pm
Darkmatter is tryin to reach up to 350hz with a kick bin

You're trying to reach down to 100-200hz...with I don't know what

Slight misunderstanding there.

Really, all those terms, kick, mod, bass, etc - I'd rather stick to simple hertz.

Your post is a little confusing but the picture is worth 1000 words.

Those double 18s look like BPHs. How high do they go?
Away on extended leave.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>