Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marquee Audio System

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marquee Audio System
    Posted: 20 May 2018 at 10:09am
Hi All,

I've been trying to research speakers and amps, for my wedding next month, and for an amateur it's a minefield! 

I would have just rented one, but we are getting married in France, and heading out early and coming back late, so the cost ends up pretty ridiculous; so the plan is to buy one, and then hopefully sell it on afterwards. Could anyone offer any advice as to what the best thing to get is? I've seen speakers with build in amps, seperate amps, seperate mixers, and power ranges from hundreds to thousands of watts. I think i may need around 2 x 200 watts continuous, does thi seem about right.

• I just want to hook up a laptop for music, but adding a mic would be a plus
  • It's in a Marquee that 9x18 metres, with half of the side probably open.
  • The dance floor is at one end, and only goes about 6m along the length
  • Resaleability is important - i imagine i would have trouble selling some of the cheapy stuff. I'd ideally like to outaly less than £300, but will pay a bit more if it makes it easier to sell.
We have a band coming to the wedding, but they cant stay long enough to use their system for the whole night unfortunately. The guests will hopefully be worse for wear by this point and as such 'average wedding-DJ sound quality' is probably ok!

Theres a guy on gumtree selling a Peavey XRD680 with 2 HiSys 2xt speakers (plus a monitor) for £250, is this any good? 

Any advice at all would be most welcome!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 10:34am
For 300 quid you could get a low priced dj to do all the work for you....

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:10am
ahhh the old. this speaker malarky is easy ill just do it myself. Biggest and usually one of the most stressful days of your life is possibly not the time to start playing with speakers.

stop being tight and hire someone!
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:16am
Not much resale value on hiring a DJ though.

Peavey HiSys 2xt regularly sell in pairs for less than 100 quid. The setup you mention doesn't sound too bad provided they're in decent condition and comes with everything else you need to get it running (stands and cables minimum). Then 250 is about right, and you can sell it on without much trouble.

You can do better by buying a higher quality system. Mackie, LD Systems, dB Technologies, even HK Audio at the higher end - if you're going to sell it straight on anyway then buy what you can afford - It's your own wedding after all, not a hire job!

In order to gauge whether you're getting a bargain or not, use eBay's 'completed listings' search feature. Most big brands have enough viewable sales in the last few months to give you a solid idea of their true value.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
logicT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 3:10pm
Cheers to all for the really quick feedback! It's really not to do with being stingy, its just a case of finding a suitable DJ in rural France. One that i got in touch with even asked us to supply a PA system! LOL

I'll have a bit of time to test out the system beforehand, and the band has also offered to help set up our system before they leave, which is kind of them. I'd much rather the band stay and do the lot, but they are a 5 piece and travelling from the UK, so it ends up quite expensive.

Thanks for the advice hemisphere, that's pretty much exactly what I'm after - I'll look into some equipment from those brands and see whats out there, so thank you!

nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 3:31pm
Those Peavey's sound better than a lot of the Plastic Mackie's.

Mate has some on an old school amp and is forever complimented on the quality by (small) venues.

Cheap plastic powered stuff and some named have no mid. in the last months I've had a pair of Mackie Thumps through here and at mo is a pair of Samson. One thing in common, they sound sh it.

Peavey's sell on Gumtree, band and solo singers love them.
It's everything, not everythink!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 3:32pm
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hk-audio-PA-speakers/222984599430?hash=item33eaeaf786:g:VFYAAOSwJTta8Fq~

You could do a lot worse than a pair of these. Pair of 'proper' professional 15" tops. Add a mixer and amp or powered mixer and a couple of stands and you're not much over planned budget. Night and day difference vs the Peaveys. This model is still in production/retail.

The auction's just gone up, and at this price you could probably flip these for a small profit.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 3:36pm
Mackie Thumps are awful. SRM's are hit and miss as they switch component suppliers and change the design a lot, but I've heard some sound half decent.

I'm not a fan of the Peavey sound but I can see it's appeal.
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 7:06pm
Be careful with speakers + vans + France.
Some ravey types have had grief from Les flics recently, some recent legislation making some combination of speakers and vehicles illegal.

Although, if you're not taking an old bus piled high with a rig, you're probably not what they're looking for.

Edited by I-shen Soundboy - 20 May 2018 at 7:09pm
logicT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 7:35pm
Those HK's look smart, will have look and see if there's a reasonable amp about to go with it. Bit far away mind, but not ridiculous. 

Thanks for the heads up on the police - if they stop me they will have to dig through piles of fairy lights, candles, and all the other random paraphernalia that don't even cross a blokes mind. LOL
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:59pm
The peavey hisys 2xt stuff is good for the money it commands. I worked  with a guy that used it a few years ago.  Its big and not exactly light but if you could beat them down to 200 then you'd have a winner.
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hk-audio-PA-speakers/222984599430?hash=item33eaeaf786:g:VFYAAOSwJTta8Fq~

You could do a lot worse than a pair of these. Pair of 'proper' professional 15" tops. Add a mixer and amp or powered mixer and a couple of stands and you're not much over planned budget. Night and day difference vs the Peaveys. This model is still in production/retail.

The auction's just gone up, and at this price you could probably flip these for a small profit.

this would power them fine on the cheap
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>