Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin 115 bass cab on top op hog scoops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agayu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin 115 bass cab on top op hog scoops
    Posted: 20 February 2019 at 1:33pm
Hello,

We are building a new sound (reggae/dub) since a while and looking for some good kicks to match our hog scoops. After some research i think the martin 115 bass cab will fit the most. I know it is a big cab and his brother the 215 hd2/3 version has 2 drivers in almost the same cabinet than the 115 but i like the 115 more. Also we want our sound to be tall enough so the mids and tops are on a good height.  So my question for you guys, we will be building a 2 scoop sound to begin with so would it be oké to build two 
115' s and put them on top of each other on the 2 scoops ? 

Thanks a lot for you're opinion ! 

Greets Agayu  
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2019 at 9:53pm
What are your mids and tops? if they go down to around 100hz, I would prefer to have 4 hogs and midtops than two way bass...

Edit:
If you really want the 2 hogs 2 115 combination you can stack it that way of course, didnt want to say it will not work, just that four hogs would do 30/100hz no problem and sound good with reggae dub while your planned stack would have better kick than sub

Edited by king david - 20 February 2019 at 10:14pm
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
Agayu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agayu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 11:27am
King David,

We haven't made the mids yet. We have Beyma cp16 tweeters on top of our horns wich are rcf n580's for the tops and from there the mids need to take over just low enough so it matches the kicks.

We love to get a 2 way bass as this is fun to control our sound a little more precisely...
If possible my plan was to build a sound with two scoops and double that one if it sounds good so i have 4 scoops in total (when the time and money is there :) )

Do you think it will be to much if i make two hogs an two 115's on top ?
Will the 115's take over the hogs or ?

Thanks a lot for you're opinion,
much appreciated !
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 5:17pm
I always wanted to change my forum nickname...
If the kick is louder You can still turn It down a little.
My advice was more on the line that the 115 is a Big cab and i'd prefer have 4 Big cabs  playing the same (4hogs) than split the bass over two different designs especially as the hogs would be happier to be in a group of four
Agayu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agayu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 7:26pm
Hehe, don't change it ;)
I think that would be a good option to have 4 hog's but haven't got enough money to provide more speakers. For instance i think that the tops and mid tops would not be balance with 4 hogs and i dont got the recources to build more at this moment or would it be enough to have 4 bullets, a horntweeter and 2 mid/top speakers for 4 subs ? Think maybe the sub would overrule the rest then or am i wrong with that ?

Bless !
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Agayu Agayu wrote:

Hehe, don't change it ;)
I think that would be a good option to have 4 hog's but haven't got enough money to provide more speakers. For instance i think that the tops and mid tops would not be balance with 4 hogs and i dont got the recources to build more at this moment or would it be enough to have 4 bullets, a horntweeter and 2 mid/top speakers for 4 subs ? Think maybe the sub would overrule the rest then or am i wrong with that ?

Bless !

Yeah, you're right...but i am not sure 115 is much cheaper than hog, It is but not so much. About midtops, and everything else really, you should think about what you want to achieve as full system. It is for reggae/dub...ok...hogs are The subs ok...You want 115 because you like how they look or how they sound or Just because you need something between the sub and the mid? U Plan To scale in the future(4hogs/2 115 thats nice) U write about two mid/top speakers, that doesnt mean much...They Can be 97db or 105db 1w/1m and thats a Big difference...you got them or you starting now?
If i would be you i'd keep It simple like 4scoops, 4 x 15" mid drivers (not subwoofer 4"vc 
Drivers) and 2 good compression drivers with horn, the 1,4" b&c i use them without tweeters above

Edited by king david - 21 February 2019 at 9:01pm
Agayu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agayu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2019 at 7:27am
You maybe right man :) i may concider to build more scoops in stead..
I don't like the 115's just for their look but also the sound. I also read a ton of good revieuws about them in combination with subscoops so tought i couldn't go wrong with them.
It may be a better plan to keep it simpel but i tought with the help of some friends that are in the soundbuisness and people like you on formums i may just make a 4 way system to start with. But i will reconcider that ;)
My first plan was to make 2 hogs and put the hd215 cabinet on top but you see that a lot already and i tought it maybe cool to change them for 115's.

For the midtops thats indeed a big difference. Thats one thing i need to dig deeper into. I think maybe it's a better plan to take a basic design with a speaker i know is good for that cabinet and when the time is ready and i have some more experience i can change them to :). It will be a verry long learningprocess but i'm looking forward to that !
Do you have any idea wich speakers could be good for mid tops if i decide to go 4 way ? I also will look into you're idee to go 3 way and use mid drivers instead of these sub drivers.

Grts 
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2019 at 8:01am
Originally posted by king david king david wrote:

Originally posted by Agayu Agayu wrote:

Hehe, don't change it ;)

Bless !

Yeah, you're right...but i am not sure 115 is much cheaper than hog, It is but not so much. About midtops, and everything else really, you should think about what you want to achieve as full system. It is for reggae/dub...ok...hogs are The subs ok...You want 115 because you like how they look or how they sound or Just because you need something between the sub and the mid? U Plan To scale in the future(4hogs/2 115 thats nice) U write about two mid/top speakers, that doesnt mean much...They Can be 97db or 105db 1w/1m and thats a Big difference...you got them or you starting now?
If i would be you i'd keep It simple like 4scoops, 4 x 15" mid drivers (not subwoofer 4"vc 
Drivers) and 2 good compression drivers with horn, the 1,4" b&c i use them without tweeters above

This^^

Choose your bass section then build mid tops that meet them with good mid drivers and the some good compression drivers, it doesn't have to be an old style 20 way stacked system to sound good for your genre of music, there are some excellent two box systems doing gigs every week, a three way two box system is much easier to set up correctly, transport and stack.
Agayu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agayu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2019 at 9:11am
Will do, Tmthanks a lot man :) indeed sometimes less is more..
I'll look into it with the rest of my crew !

Long live the king ;)

Post Reply Post Reply