Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

martin audio BSX - review?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SantuarySoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: martin audio BSX - review?
    Posted: 09 December 2017 at 2:50pm
looks like kilomax in a Martin BMx cab - getting these on Tuesday.
what's performance like - have an event on the friday so trying to pre-empt.
Jesus
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 3:00pm
Take the Kilomax out, throw them in the skip and then load the cabinets with drivers that everyone recommends on here to perform in a G sub as the Martin cabinets are virtually the same box performance wise.
Kilomax are only bought by people for looking pretty not based on sound quality as they have got to be one of the worst sounding 18" ever made.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 3:14pm
+ 1 on what Robbo said.

Buy them only for the cabinets,the drivers are almost worthless. Put some decent 18" in there, and you will have a lovely sounding box.
Be seeing you.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 3:16pm
Oh,and make sure the cabs have castors on,as they weigh like an elephant.
Be seeing you.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 5:44pm
And sell me the Kilomax cheap :)
It's everything, not everythink!
SantuarySoundsystem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SantuarySoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 7:29pm
why would you say Kilomax out? Surely at that power rating with EQ they would be fine?
Jesus
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by SantuarySoundsystem SantuarySoundsystem wrote:

why would you say Kilomax out? Surely at that power rating with EQ they would be fine?
Ever thought if the Kilomax were that good Martin Audio would have spec'd them in the cabs in the first place? 
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 7:37pm
I would have thought that most important thing is checking that the drivers are not rubbing (with a tone generator) when you buy the boxes.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by SantuarySoundsystem SantuarySoundsystem wrote:

I made this mistake in 2004 when i built my first ever subs, before I discovered speaker plans. 

Yes in theory the drivers can handle 1000w (of heat) and the heatsink sounds fancy, but in practice the other parameters of the speakers are pretty terrible. To get anything worthwhie from them in terms of actual subwoofer sound you have to load them into stupidly big (like 600l big) boxes and then run them at low power to not over-excurse them.  There are many, many drivers even back then that are much better sub drivers, never mind how the art has improved since then. 

K
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 8:14pm
https://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=csub

Also reputed to work well in Planar Wave Horn.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 12:16am
I can remember setting up my then 'big rig' at a local venue as a mobile dj was taking his kit out, he couldn't get his head around why I was using Omegas in the bass cabs (HD215's) instead of Kilomax's as the Kilomax's were 'unblowable'....

.....He then went on to tell me that the 1" Fanes that I had mounted above some big old 2" Cerwin Vegas were probably going to get blown that night and that I should replace them with a row of piezos..... 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 10:57am
Hey I agree, Kilomax is a bad driver. However when, "won" for a song there are ways
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>