Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

martin audio BSX - review?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SantuarySoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 1:38pm
From a pure curiosity perspective I'll do my best with DSP EQ and report back.

:)
Jesus
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 2:20pm
Found this about the Kilomax 18 in the FAQ section on the Eminence Website:

"We do not recommend the Kilomax 18 for most "traditional horn" or scoop boxes because it has a very high moving mass (Mms), a long coil, and a high Qt. Most "traditional horns" such as "W" boxes require a driver with a super low Qt and a light Mms; the Omega Pro 18 is the best choice for older style horns, W-bins, and scoops. The Kilomax is more suited for reflex boxes or "modern horns" by which we mean ones that are designed per Leach's horn design equations. The cone is strong enough for traditional style horns, Leach style horns, Reflex designs, sealed designs, and bandpass enclosures. It is the motor of the Kilomax that is not well suited for traditional horns or scoops."
SantuarySoundsystem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SantuarySoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2017 at 12:10pm
Why is a high moving mass desirable in a driver? considering the efficiency cure of the driver tops off at 2khz i'm surprised.
Jesus
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2017 at 5:55pm
Well...it's not desirable, really. It gets the Fs down while still allowing the suspension to be strong and relatively low-compliance. But it is probably more of a consequence of the very large and heavy coil than something they designed intentionally. 
It's not good for efficiency to have high Mms unless BL is also high, ie the motor is strong enough to throw that weight around in a controlled way. BL of the Kilomax being of course relatively low Cry
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2017 at 8:30pm
What you say is really interesting.

So I thought I would compare the Kilomax 18 and the Definimax 18 in my Eminence brochure:

Kilomax                     Definimax

Coil               4"                          4"
Magnet weight       109oz                      109oz
Xmax               9.8mm                      7.9mm
Mms                 211g                      186g
BL                  19.7 T-M                   27.0 T-M

So it would look to me that you basically have two similar coil / magnet structures driving two cones of roughly the same weight.

But as you say, the BL of the Kilomax is much lower.

I wonder why this would be?

I would have exepected them to be very similar?

APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2018 at 6:37pm
Was wondering if the boxes got bought, and if any opinion was made about the Eminence Kilomax's?
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2018 at 8:32pm
kilomax's are great in BPH cabs , thunder ridge sb1000 /2000 . never blew one and they had some proper stick !  the PHL loaded boxes sounded the same to me but were much more fragile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12