Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Martin Audio F2 - Amping - Prozessing Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin Audio F2 - Amping - Prozessing Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noize-Guerilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin Audio F2 - Amping - Prozessing Questions
    Posted: 29 January 2011 at 6:48pm
Hi guys

today I got myself a martin Audio F2 System.
It consists of 6 - F2B (Double 15" Kick Bins) and 4 - F2 Mid/Hi Tops

Each of the Tops has a  12" - 2"  Horn + 3 Tweeters combiation as seen on the top of Side 2 in this PDF :

http://www.martin-audio.com/archivedproducts/datasheets/F2systemdatasheet.pdf

I also got myself a Crest 10004 Amp which can be found here :

http://www.crestaudio.com/media/pdf/10004_10-15-97.pdf

My first question is can the Crest 10004 handle a 2 Ohm load at each channel ?
I mean can it handle 2xF2B per channel (at 3/4 power per channel)

And also how can i power the Tops as i have no idea how to power seperated Mid/Hi/Tweeters.

I have see in the datasheet that the Mids - His - Tweeters got a different resistance than normal speakers, what can also be seen in the spec-sheet from the link at the top.

I will go to buy 1xBehringer DEQ2496 ULTRA-CURVE PRO 1x DBX 166 XL 2xBehringer DCX2496 Ultradrive pro

Is this kind of processing enough ?

Thank you for the great forum and all the knowledge you share so selfless.

All the best for all of you and greetings from Austria!

Here a pic before I got the f2 to my place.
http://www.oswald-versteigerungen.at/fileadmin/Versteigerungen/334/406.jpg

Edited by Noize-Guerilla - 30 January 2011 at 10:06am
I'm not poor, but money doesn't make me rich.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2011 at 8:02pm
IIRC the 10004 can do 1500w per channel at 2R. So should be OK for 2 F2B's per channel.

When it comes to the tops, you need about 500 watts per unit. So 500 for the 12", 500 for the 2" and 500 for the bullets... per cab.
All the F2 units have a 'power matching' system so each amp is 500 watt. It was done that way so touring companies carried only one type of amp instead of different ones for mid, HF and VHF.

The processing is OK. Run the two DCX's in mono, one for left and the other for right.

The settings you need are as follows (these are the ones from Martin Audio I use on my F2 system).

F2B   25.3Hz -> 250Hz    Phase=+       0mS Delay
F2M   250Hz -> 1K51      Phase=+       2.551mS Delay
F2H   1K51 -> 6K96        Phase=-        2.676mS Delay
F2T    6K96 -> Out          Phase=-        3.874mS Delay

With regards to the Patent someone else will have to say on that!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2011 at 8:21pm
The power matching system is autotransformers which just waste the power that's not required by the drivers, in my view the system could probably sound better and be less expensive to amplify if they were removed and careful attention was paid to the actual power ratings of the drivers. 
If you want to keep things old skool, I believe C Audio SR series amps are from the same era and may well have been used on a lot of F2 systems. The SR707 is 410w a side at 8 I believe, 825w a side at 4. They can be had for about £200 in gwo.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2011 at 8:57pm
I know what you mean with that. But the power match was there so touring companies only had to carry one type of amp for back up. But I understand what you say!
I used to use SR707's on the F2B's and PPX900's on the F2M's and F2H's. I don't have the bullet pack in mine. Now I use the Thomann D3400 and D4500 and my back has thanked me for it! The F2 system and the SR / PPX rack will be up for sale very soon as the band I used them for have two more gigs and are disbanding.

Also meant to add in my first post that all the x-over's are 24dB/Oct LR. And if you add the FSX subs (2 X 18 bass reflex) then the HPF of the F2B goes to 80Hz and the settings for the Sub goes to

FSX   22Hz -> 80Hz    Phase=+    3.54mS Delay.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2011 at 9:13pm
A sniff of F2 for sale? Cue James Folkes....LOL

Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2011 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

A sniff of F2 for sale? Cue James Folkes....LOL

Excellent!Hug
Noize-Guerilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noize-Guerilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2011 at 6:29am
So for each unit Mid/Hi/Tweet i need 500W 8Ohm is that correct?

So I could run my 4 Units from 3 Amps each ~1000W / 4Ohm /Channel.

So Amp #1   one channel for right tweeter one for left tweeter
and so on

Edited by Noize-Guerilla - 30 January 2011 at 10:06am
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2011 at 12:48pm
No, they need to be 500W at 4R... or that's what it says in the info I got from Martin. That's where all the settings above came from as well.
If you get stuck, give Martin Audio a call. I've always found them more than helpful. Any info you need (apart from cab plans) they're more than willing to divulge.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2011 at 12:51pm
I would not run the 10004 at 2R per channel unless absolutely necessary, mainly just for thermal reasons.  However, since the F2B's are wired with the drivers on seperate connections, you could use two channels to run 3 boxes.

So your 10004 could run 6 F2B's.  It should be fairly easy to pick up some more Crest Pro series if you wanted to keep it all the same (also I love the sound of them!).  A 7001 and maybe two 4801's would run the mid-tops very nicely (7001 on 12", 4801 on HF and VHF).

Noize-Guerilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noize-Guerilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2011 at 12:59pm
Ok, I see read the manual again... was a bit blind...

Thank you very much for the infos.... hope we can set it up soon because I read,heard alot of the F2B Bass Bins here on the forum.....

Many thaks from me and my mates.

Edited by Noize-Guerilla - 13 February 2011 at 3:22pm
Motion54 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motion54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2017 at 9:07am
Yes, I know I'm resurrecting an extremely old post.
Does anyone know the horn length of the F2b?

I plan to stick some mini subs underneath them.
The F2b is a lovely sounding cab, but needs something underneath.
Was playing with them last night and got reminded how sweet they are.
Brutus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brutus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2017 at 9:27am
The F2B needs something like a WSX underneath it ;-)
it doesnt need delay, xover @80 LR24 will be sweet.

the length of the hornpath is written in the 3.5 preset xls on the martin site.

otherwise, take a look at our site:

Edited by Brutus - 02 June 2017 at 9:29am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>