Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin Audio S2 Bass cabinets bargain.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin Audio S2 Bass cabinets bargain.
    Posted: 05 June 2021 at 12:56pm
Someone has got the bargain of the year on Rig-Resale-----Four Martin Audio S2 2x15 bass horns all loaded with RCF drivers for only £400 for the lot.
They are all in pretty good condition complete with original Martin badges on the front and manufacturers spec plates on the back.
Now not many people on here will have heard these cabinets before as they are quite a rarity and do not become available very often, but trust me they really do hammer it out as they are a very big horn loaded box that will not go through a normal doorway which is probably the main reason why they never sold well compared to other Martin Audio cabinets---most went into installs which is possibly where these have been sitting for a few years---Have a look guys as they are still on the website.

Edited by Robbo - 05 June 2021 at 3:09pm
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2021 at 1:49pm
Ooh, when were these first made? I got 8 RCF 15's out of something very similar about 20+ years ago, I was told they came from a big rock touring rig? Maybe Iron Maiden? Hhhmmm hazy memories but that was the real start of my system proper. No way I had transport for cabs that size back in the day so I think they went in eminence scoops for a while...
blah blah blah blah blah......
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2021 at 3:12pm
Probably first made in the mid 1970s when Martin Audio were the main touring rigs in Europe--- just before the F2 system was announced.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2021 at 3:37pm
They certainly looked like they could be that old, RCF 15L600’s in them.
blah blah blah blah blah......
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2021 at 5:16pm
Hans Bier at CAV in Stroud had eight Martin Audio S2 in their hire stock.

The Dome in Birmingham had one S2 in each corner of the main dancefloor.

At Le Palais in Hammersmith (maybe 1800 capacity) the main system had four S2 per side. Sounded very impressive to me when I went there a few times some years ago.

A Bill Webb design I think.
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2021 at 1:39pm
Here is the link for the specification of the S2:

https://martin-audio.com/downloads/archive/datasheets/SBindatasheet.pdf
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2021 at 6:48am
there were 4 of these at the institute in birmingham during the late 90s early 00s 

an installer put in some home made crap and "disposed" of these
error 404
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2021 at 11:44am
I didn't get to see the listing on Rig Resale. Was it removed? 
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2021 at 1:15pm
Bargain of the year there.
Put two of those together,and you get an 8 foot x 4 foot mouth, with a response not far off a RLA Big Bertha bass horn.  Utterly silly for mobile use, but perfect for an install.
Be seeing you.
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2021 at 6:01pm
Would love to hear some of these, but its a fair bet that it will never happen, load them up with suitable modern high power drivers and apply some clever way to cool them off (otherwise higher power will result in more heat which means earlier and more severe power compression) (I would assume).

But I'm sure they would impress alot even with the stock drivers, and I bet that as far as flh's go this would still do well in today's competition (not that many flh's left today though, sadly) and I understand there was also an s1 model, that could be better suited for mobile applications.
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2021 at 7:34pm
Yes, I had four of the single 15" S1 versions that I picked up from a hotel in Wales via Ebay and they were great loaded with Gauss drivers which really used to kick it out.
The other great thing about them was that they used to pack perfect four in a row on their ends against the bulkhead of a Renault Master---So great all round cabinet.
Tedski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2021 at 2:42pm
We had two of these, but the not fitting through the door thing made us sell them.
We sold them to a guy that drove a lifted ex military dodge pick-up. He liked big heavy unpractical things that sound good :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>