Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin Audio W8C settings.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin Audio W8C settings.
    Posted: 21 January 2016 at 2:18pm
Hi guys,

Ive just purchased some W8C and was wondering if anyone had any information on the crossover settings that Martin recommend. Need frequencies, slopes and delays etc.

Cheers
Ryan

Edited by Ryan94 - 21 January 2016 at 2:18pm
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 3:45pm
maybe look on google... 
We need more SPL!
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 3:47pm
And first RTFM before you buy something expensive.. 
We need more SPL!
Ryan94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 4:51pm
Well your clearly in a helpful mood today! I have actually spent a considerable amount of time considering my options before buying them, and that included reading the manual and the applications guide, both of which btw dont contain the information I have asked for on here. Anyway since when does the delay required for a certain speaker come into your decision on whether you buy it or not!
Thankfully a helpful person from Martin replied to my email and sent me a spreadsheet which contained all the information I needed, and no this spreadsheet isnt part of the manual and no I didn't find it when I carried out numerous google searches before posting on both here and emailing Martin.

Cheers for the help though! ...
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 4:53pm
It should be on the Martin website somewhere, probably as an Excel spreadsheet.

The printed list that I have, gives the following info:

W8C delay settings are
12"  = 0
6.5" = 0.885 ms
1"    = 1.104 ms

obviously you have to add to each of these, the delay for whatever bass cabinet you are using:
W8CS = 0.593 ms
WSX   = 4.364 ms
anything else = measure it yourself!

Crossover settings are
12"  = 91.2 / 757 Hz (but a higher HPF was found better in most applications)
6.5" = 707 / 3130 Hz
1"    = 2630 / out

All bands in same polarity and same gain, no preset EQ for 12" or 6.5".

EQ for 1" (but I'd say this is optional) +3dB at 16kHz, Q = 1.71

The apparent precision of the frequency and Q figures is probably due to the discrete settings available on the crossover they were using at the time, probably XTA or BSS, so just use whatever is nearest in the unit you are using.

You will find that with several W8C's stacked together, the low mid balance will increase due to the horns coupling. So be prepared to EQ the 12" to compensate.

HTH.

edit, after seeing you latest message:

Ha ha, the internet equivalent of letters crossing in the post...
They are very smooth sounding boxes, I'm sure you will enjoy them.

Edited by madboffin - 21 January 2016 at 4:58pm
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 4:56pm
(redundant message, added to above instead)

Edited by madboffin - 21 January 2016 at 5:00pm
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 5:17pm
Martin have a spread sheet, pm me your email and ill forward it onto you.
Ryan94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 5:30pm
Thanks for the help Madboffin, your post has still helped clear some things up. They are lovely sounding boxes! Heard them in many applications and loved them every time, hence what led me to buy some. 
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 7:12pm
Love the old wavefront systems! Always got my eye out for bargains on W8t and WSX.

Done sooooo many raves with Wavefront over the years. It's got to be one of the most widely used large scale dance music systems going.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 7:15pm
@ryan...

Just out of interest how many have you got? What are you planning to do with it?

Have you got the cheese boards? And lift platforms for stacking it I
On W8s?
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Cyklist View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyklist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 9:36pm
what are cheese boards?
purple monkey dishwasher
Ryan94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 9:43pm
Just got the two W8C at the minuet, always wanted a Wavefront system and this is the first jump towards that from the home built kit i have been running. 
The plan is that i will gradually upgrade from my current system over to a fully Martin Audio system.  
I'm assuming the cheese boards are like tilt boards? Haven't got these or the lift platforms. 
How do you rate the W8S, heard mixed opinions. Was personally thinking of going down the WS218X route.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>