Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin W b215 bin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ganjaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin W b215 bin
    Posted: 25 October 2022 at 1:17am
Hello all newbie here just got four Martin W
B215 bins no drivers what is a good driver to use in them and also what type of power be cool if someone can help out ganjaman
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2022 at 9:17am
A Precision Devices PD1550 would work well, but not sure if you have those available in Canada?
Be seeing you.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2022 at 12:17am
Always liked those Martin boxes.

The 215 MK1 box used Martin B38 or TAD TL-1601 driver and other options included the JBL E140 and Gauss 4583A.

The 215 MK3 box used the Martin L1540 which allows 2-4dB more output from the box from higher power handling... apparently.

This info is from the datasheets on the Martin website, you have to dig through legacy products archives to find them.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 12:50am
In the 1970s, buyers could choose from a range of drivers. The Gauss drivers were probably the most popular during that period. I don't think anyone actually ordered speakers with the TL-1601 option - they were very expensive drivers in the UK.

The B38 was a badged RCF L15P06C, and was the standard driver up until September 1983.
The L1540 was a badged ATC PA100-375-LC-8 and was fitted as standard after that date although it had been available earlier as an option. It gave more output than the RCF.

Which version of the 215 do you have? I am assuming the original Mk1, which was usually referred to as a "Y" bin rather than a "W" bin. It's the same as a stacked pair of 115's.
The Mk3 was a rectangular cabinet, and the Mk2 was a trapezoidal box with a much shorter horn (you can see the drivers in a Mk2)

Edited by madboffin - 27 October 2022 at 12:57am
Ganjaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ganjaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 11:59am
Wow that’s was a great amount of info thanks 
But my bins are a W bin cannot see the driver at all 
Has a wedge backing door I put a jbl 700 rms 2800 peak 
Using a ap4040 yorkville and I don’t get the punch using crossover and an eq  
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 3:33pm
Do you have authentic Martin bins with the badges or just a random W bin that somebody claimed was a Martin? Got any pics? The Marin box doesn't really look like a W bin. 

What drivers(model number) did you load and what EQ and crossover setting are you using?

martin audio b215
Ganjaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ganjaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 4:07pm
When I get home from work I will send you a pic of the bins and driver with all other specs
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 7:02pm
Conanski's picture shows a pair of the Mk3 bins.
The Mk1 was a Y-shape and awkward to pack in a van or truck.

If yours are original Martins, thay could have been made in Canada. Dave Martin had an arrangement with Russ Heinl to manufacture them locally. I think the boxes were made in the Yorkville woodworking shop.

KWB75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KWB75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 7:13pm
Sounds like a Court black box to me…
Ganjaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ganjaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 1:26am
Thanks for the help 
I must say I sent this pic to Martin USA tech team and he confirmed that they were a kicker bin here are some pics 
{15W5700
L JBL/SELENIUM
Un
2,800W PEAK
mn
700W RMS
8 Ohms
24FX
QDT: 1 PC
Made in Brazil

Ganjaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ganjaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 1:28am
And how do you post pics here 
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 4:52am

You might need to post 10 posts or something before you can upload and post pictures..... 

You can either upload pictures directly, which is preferable, or link to pictures hosted elsewhere. If you lknk to external pictures, and posting any links, pay attention to the fact that the dialog box for link insertion always adds a "http://" or "https://" in front of your link. So make sure you remove the "http" prefix from the link you are inserting, otherwise the link (or picture link) will not work.Ouch

Btw, can't believe that nickname hadn't been taken until now LOLLOL

Edited by bob4 - 28 October 2022 at 4:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply