Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin WSX - my thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin WSX - my thoughts
    Posted: 11 March 2009 at 9:12pm
rubbish

Never liked these, but particularly last night. There were 6 running off two MA 2.8s last night at a dubstep night I was helping engineer for last night, 3 a side. Run with the default settings in the club they honked and kick a lot but had no sub, softness or warmth to them. I had to cut a lot of upper bass on the eq (and bring the tops down too sh*t loads) to get them to sound half decent. Even then the crossover would limit before we could acheive which I would consider adequate bass for dubstep. You could stand infront of the stack, tell that they were on but just no real air moving. It wasn't a big room, only about 50 people in it! Davey T was not very impressed. Its a shame because the Martin Wavefront tops sound pretty good.

Its the same every time I hear them, for they're size I expect a lot more, I mean a lab sub isn't that much bigger but is a hell of a lot louder! Maybe they were just not getting enough power, but it seems like they're average at best. Whole load of front loaded 18's would have probably done a better job.

Rant over

I'm in search of a plot to back up my thoughts - anyone know where one is?

Edited by davey t - 11 March 2009 at 9:17pm
Minirig portable soundsystem movement
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 10:16pm

original drivers?????

not sl*gging them off just curous!

me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
kiriiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiriiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 11:26pm
I heard many times that WSX are the worst horn cab for indoor use. If there was small area in the club, so it is true. For outdoor it is the best. May be.
S DeXter View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S DeXter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 12:01am
I think they have to be used in at least fours, plus the original drivers are not as fruity as some drop ins...

I've heard a couple of stacks of 4 either side of a stage fill out a large club (probably about 1500 capacity) with lots of nice sub. They had dedicated kick bins on top as well...

I suppose they were crossed over quite high? Labs are used always with a kick bin and this takes a bit of the strain off to give more sub...

Although labs are just better for sub..
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 12:34am
The lab gruppen based amp isn't going to help the situation either, wouldn't put one anywhere near a long horn 18 let alone with 3 a side hung off it
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 1:42am
Originally posted by SteveAATW SteveAATW wrote:

The lab gruppen based amp isn't going to help the situation either, wouldn't put one anywhere near a long horn 18 let alone with 3 a side hung off it

Oh no, that's torn it. Confused

In 500 person hall (no stage),  have heard 4x V18-1000 loaded WSX, 2x per channel of a CA18, in a single stack, with 4x 2x12+1" passive reflex on top (driven by QSC 4050HD), WSX run from 40-90hz.

Was immense. Sub was every where in the venue. Vocal and tops crystal, clean.

Even women commented how nice it sounded.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
djstefanos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djstefanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 2:27am
mmmm, easy one here, Heard 4 per side (LR) stacked in Belgium a while back. Very punchy in middle of stage and in front of them. Not much low but the punch from 50ish meters far sounded very satisfying.

davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 4:44am
no there was two MA 2.8s. Two a side from one, and one a side from the other. Its always impossible to tell on the MAs how close they are to clipping.

I don't doubt that they were the original martin drivers. The company seems to be the NZ martin distributor/installer/hire.

It was a fairly small room, had a sticking out wall and some length to it mind. Weird acoustics in the room could be a factor. Its interesting though that the people who've had fun/success with these bins are the people who DON'T use the martin drivers or amps!
Minirig portable soundsystem movement
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 5:36am
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveAATW SteveAATW wrote:

Oh no, that's torn it. Confused

In 500 person hall (no stage),  have heard 4x V18-1000 loaded WSX, 2x per channel of a CA18, in a single stack, with 4x 2x12+1" passive reflex on top (driven by QSC 4050HD), WSX run from 40-90hz.

Was immense. Sub was every where in the venue. Vocal and tops crystal, clean.

Even women commented how nice it sounded.
if they were painted 'louis vuitton'  stylee..they would have loved them

WSX another cab that keeps getting sold on
tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 9:05am
Originally posted by davey t davey t wrote:

rubbish

Never liked these, but particularly last night. There were 6 running off two MA 2.8s last night at a dubstep night I was helping engineer for last night, 3 a side. Run with the default settings in the club they honked and kick a lot but had no sub, softness or warmth to them. I had to cut a lot of upper bass on the eq (and bring the tops down too sh*t loads) to get them to sound half decent. Even then the crossover would limit before we could acheive which I would consider adequate bass for dubstep. You could stand infront of the stack, tell that they were on but just no real air moving. It wasn't a big room, only about 50 people in it! Davey T was not very impressed. Its a shame because the Martin Wavefront tops sound pretty good.

Its the same every time I hear them, for they're size I expect a lot more, I mean a lab sub isn't that much bigger but is a hell of a lot louder! Maybe they were just not getting enough power, but it seems like they're average at best. Whole load of front loaded 18's would have probably done a better job.
You did say the crossover was limiting them though... sounds like a standard limited club setup!
chilli View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 11:52am
i can personally vouch that 6 wsx produce plenty of bass, outside i've not heard anything to touch them. did a festy a few years back with a stack of 4 and the council came over to ask me to "lose a few db from the bottom end" apparently the woompf from the stack was stamping over all the rigs on site. was one of the smallest systems there too.
Money can't buy you happiness, but it can allow you to be miserable in comfort.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by chilli chilli wrote:

apparently the woompf from the stack was stamping over all the rigs on site.

LOLLOL
LOL
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>