Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martinsson ROAR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2017 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by martinsson martinsson wrote:

Thank you all for the kind words, very much appreciated.

So far only the ROAR12 and the ROAR18 has been built, the ROAR12 by Johannes (circlomanen) here in Sweden and the ROAR18 by BesPav in Russia.

Any feedback/figures on the ROAR18?

Update.
Here is the info from BesPav on the DIYAudio website.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/309303-roar18-12.html

Edited by jazomir - 29 August 2017 at 9:06am
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 5:52am
I currently have the opportunity to get to know the ROAR12 a bit better, it sure does a great job of annoying my neighbours as well as providing me with an interesting listening experience, it is very clear to me that this is not an indoor device, at all, everything moves even at very low levels.

Placing the ROAR12 in a corner does not help matters, according to simulations the sensitivity should end up around 111db/W/m from ~45Hz and the room gain / modes lifts up the frequencies blow as well, while the 1490cm2 coupling area ensures more then enough energy transfer.

Enough about all the "bad" things :) it does sound very nice, given the above it digs deep and delivers a very tight sound with the ability to produce sharp transients while at the same time rolling out deep bas notes, all this without sounding resonant or honky when crossed over at 153Hz 24dB/Oct.

These are all low level impressions including room artefacts, I just moved in to this place and I do not want to get off on the wrong foot, but chances are, despite my restraint, that this may already have happened :)

Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 7:23am
nice!! what are those diy line vertical arrays btw? :P

Edited by bob4 - 06 September 2017 at 9:12pm
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 7:40am
12x 3fe22 (or ferrite version 3fe25) by the looks of it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 8:02am
The linesources (very basic design) :

http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/index.php?m=01&y=17&entry=entry170116-132709
...and to the right there is one of the two THAM10's I usually complement them with.

doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2017 at 11:38am
nice rack sized center shelf for the drive rack and amps. handy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2017 at 8:54am
The setup is a bit cramped at the moment due to the ROAR12 paying me a visit, compact as it is when judged by professional application standards, it is less so in a living room :)

Thanks for all the kind words, I just have to repeat myself, the ROAR12 is not a domesticated animal by any means, I have even been asked not to use it even at very low levels by my girlfriend, she says that it feels uncomfortable, strange, and notices this even when I'm being extremely careful...
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2017 at 11:59am
Hi Martinsson

This looks like a nice cab. Thank you and Johannes for the great designs. I currently use 2 tham 15 atm and sometimes needed a bit more spl. The roar 15 box is too large for me but the roar 12 size is perfect. Can a 15 inch driver work in the roar12? Would that combination give a bit more output than a tham15? Driver I use is the beyma 15p1000fe. Love the thams but just need a bit more output at times.

Rish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2017 at 8:46pm
Hello rish

I'm not able to simulate the result for you, but I guess that not much of challenge for you :)

Here's my thoughts on your 15" in a ROAR12 question.

Driver mounting :
Mounting a 15" driver in the ROAR12 is physically possible, but not with a straight (normal to baffle) mounting envelope since the baffle is 414x360cm (mouth visible planar baffle surface), but you might be able to wiggle it in there, just make sure the driver is less then 17cm deep unless you are up to offsetting the mouth brace a bit (not critical) for better access.

Compression :
S(1,2,3)/SD ~ 0,4 (SD for a 15" driver approximated to 850cm2) which I would consider i bit cramped for a constant area (zero expansion) system such as the one in the ROAR series, and it is roughly half of what we thought of as a good target value.

Other :
Beyond the risk of having the first tapping segment acting constricting (outside the initial compression risk mentioned above) there is also a balance to be kept for the front resonator, we found that roughly 3xSD is a nice target ratio, in the case of putting a 15" driver in a ROAR12 this balance would end up around 1,75xSD, which may also act constricting.

Both of these concerns are speculative to some extent, and they would be most noticeable at higher power usage.

Personally I would not recommend it, at the same time I'm really curious as to it would sound :)

rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 8:26am

Thanks Martinnson

Looks like I will build a Roar 15 to try out. Will post feedback when done.

Rish
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 3:33pm
Is there a cut sheet for the roar 15 available?
circlomanen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote circlomanen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 4:45pm
https://s26.postimg.org/x5wzc1g15/BEYMA15_P1000_Fe_ROAR15-12.png

Here is a sim with the Beyma 15P1000Fe in a ROAR12 (black line) and a ROAR15 (gray line).
I would not recommend the ROAR12 box for this driver. It might look "smooth" in the spl-graph, but the air-velocities in the mouth and the tapped pipe section shoot through the roof at high spls.

Cheers,
Johannes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>