Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matrix STR3000 schematic and help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solscott99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matrix STR3000 schematic and help
    Posted: 15 September 2020 at 3:48pm
Hey I am new hear so excuse me if this topic has already been covered. Im currently in the process of trying to repair my Matrix STR3000 and am unable to find a schematic online. If anyone has a PDF downloaded that would be much appreciated. The amp itself blew a couple nights ago and on further inspection there seems to be two Transistors which are visibly damaged Cry. Im now just trying to figure out how far the damage has gone. 
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 6:53pm
If it's one channel that has blown up you could just get the transistor ID off the other channel. 

I pretty sure there are no circuits for the STR3000 online but the only other option is to contact Andy from Matrix.  Cry

solscott99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solscott99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 3:49pm
There are two transistors that are visibly burnt out. Ive been trying to figure out if that is all the damage. Does anyone know of how i would go around testing them?
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 5:44pm
Please don’t take this the wrong way, people here are pretty good with offering help but if you need to know how to test a transistor on a power amp with pretty high internal voltages then it might be best you give it to someone else to look at. You will need to desolder them from the board and check for current flow between the base and emitter and the base and collector and a short between collector and emitter. You will need a multimeter with diode test function on it. 

Although it is possible that these are the only thing that has popped in it, it’s most likely to have been caused by or caused damage further back up the circuit.

However, I have one on its way to me at some point that has dc on an output so if you do find one I’d love to know. A call to matrix is your best bet though.
blah blah blah blah blah......
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

A call to matrix is your best bet though.

I'm here but unfortunately I don't have the schematics. Tongue_Wink
Sonic the hedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

You will need to desolder them from the board and check for current flow between the base and emitter and the base and collector and a short between collector and emitter. You will need a multimeter with diode test function on it. 

A couple of tips

Since output transistors are bolted to heatsink, instead of removing from PCB I isolate the transistors to test in-situ by disconnecting surrounding components e.g. emitter resistors etc. These can be desoldered at one end only and left 'flying', that way nothing gets lost or forgotten where it goes

Some amplifiers it's possible to test whole bank of output transistors in one go, by isolating as above and comparing the test result with a known good bank e.g. on the other (working) channel. If you find a bank that's well out then proceed to test each transistor individually to find the bad ones.

Laziness can be useful at times Tongue

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 16 September 2020 at 11:10pm
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 11:36pm
if the transistors are visibly burnt, then without stating the obvious, there's no point testing them. They're broken.

If you're talking about the output mosfets then you need to make sure none of the others are faulty including running into gate current.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

solscott99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solscott99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2020 at 4:07pm
Thanks you for this advice. Ill give it a go soon

EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2022 at 10:36pm
Guys....you're speaking of emitter resistors,collector,base,emitter etc etc on a dual die lateral mosfet amplifier....it is not a BJT amplifier is a Mosfet,and quite easy one to fix if you have enaugh money for the outputs LOLLOL

Edited by EmPro - 02 June 2022 at 10:38pm
EmPro Audio
 Post Reply Post Reply