Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maximum width of a t bar on a tripod?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maximum width of a t bar on a tripod?
    Posted: 13 August 2017 at 11:29am
Hi guys

Sorry it's not speakers but I'm sure you can help.

What would you say is the maximum safest width of a t bar that sits on top of a single tripod.

I want to mount 6 led spots and a mirror ball type led fixture on a single bar on a single tripod.

The spots are 1.2 kg each and the other fixture, an adj starbust is 3.7kg

Many thanks

Kev
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 1:46pm
6ft?
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 2:34pm
All depends on the width  of the tripod base really, and how much weight you're putting up in the air.

I have few large 35mm wind-up stands that I use when I can't get the room on the stage, with pre-mounted lights on the T-bars.

My T-bars are all Powerdrive flat bars, and a heavy single-person lift Dead - but once on the stand with the legs spread they're very stable; one's loaded with 4 ImpossibLeds and another has a set of 4 Revo 4's; others have mixtures of random lights and lasers

Check them for stability before taking them out on a gig and get an idea of how wide the legs need to be spread by pushing the tripod onto two legs and seeing at what position it becomes unstable - but you're not putting a whole lot of weight up so you should be OK.

Also a good idea to make sure that the widest point of the feet runs parallel two to the t-bar.

I run two Starbursts and bout bought a couple of lightweight ADJ speaker stands to mount them on, gets them 8 feet in the sir air which is about right for the gigs that I've done with them so far.

Edited by BJtheDJ - 13 August 2017 at 4:45pm
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 3:51pm
That's a great response thanks so much.

Will make sure it's safe before I go out gigging.

Cheers.

Kev
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 6:41pm
6ft I'd say. I very often used to put a 6 way bar on a manfrotto at 3+ meters.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2017 at 9:54pm
As a rule of thumb I would not go wider than the legs on the tripod.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2017 at 10:16am
Hi guys

I had a good think and I decided to use a 2 m bar 50mm diameter between two stands with a 50 mm half coupler on each stand.

Should be better I think

Many thanks.

Kev

Edited by kevin tyler - 14 August 2017 at 10:16am
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2017 at 2:30pm
Even a perfectly balanced load, even a point load, on a stand, as you raise it up, the C.o.G. of the stand moves up.

As C.o.G. goes up, "wobblyness" will ensue, and any impact or wind factors will eventually bring it down again.

2 Stands and a bit of scaff, ladder, or truss, keeps the overall C.o.G. low, and within the base area of the stands, and in relative stability.

So, in answer to OP, as you go higher, narrow the width of bar, even with perfect balance on the bar. I would never extend the bar outside the "diameter" of the base. If you have to do that, then extend to second stand, and go "goal post". Most stands will have some sort of Max point load, and decent ones may even show reduction in load for any particular extended height. Many are not rated for out door use too.

Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2017 at 5:28pm
Is this a question, or a challenge?
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2017 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

I reckon the max is 6m, i.e. a standard length of a scaff pole....Wink
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2017 at 7:30pm
Thanks so much guys.

Really appreciate the help

Kev
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 6:03am
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

I reckon the max is 6m, i.e. a standard length of a scaff pole....Wink

Please please post pics :)

You sir will forever be an legend if you can post a picture of a 6m bit of scaff used as t bar on a manfrotto :)
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>