Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mc2 e90

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 10:31am
Originally posted by tall_mike tall_mike wrote:

.... and your speakers can't take that kind of power continuously either.....

Thing is that some boxes can actually take that power no problem. As a mater of fact it will probably be okeyish power for our BA218 that are 7200W programe power at 4 ohms. 
So i am always in a holly grail search for an amp that can drive two boxes per channel.

The new PKN XE10000-U is just right size for one box per channel. K20 is ok for 2 ohm but probably on boxes with smaller power handling.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
teknojay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teknojay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

at 4Ω per channel, the plm14000 is very strong. 
I use a plm10000q @ 4Ω on my 4 pd186 loaded boke thl828 copies and can't recommend it enough absolutely beautiful sounding amp and PLENTY of power Big smile
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 12:29pm
Will be very difficult for someone to upgrade from PL9.

Unless money to spend on K20, or 2x amps  to drive 4x subs each.

Think I'd prefer the 2x amp route.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by teknojay teknojay wrote:

I use a plm10000q @ 4Ω on my 4 pd186 loaded boke thl828 copies and can't recommend it enough absolutely beautiful sounding amp and PLENTY of power Big smile

10000q can not deliver the power they claim when 4 channels driven on sub duty.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

I guess some of these "big" lightweight amps on sub will do rated power, if HPF is approx 60hz, which doesn't really demand much current, and great for pop, etc..

However  HPF 40-50hz, soon separates the wheat from the chaff, some of even the most expensive lightweights just won't tolerate that at 2 ohms - 2.66 ohms.

With some of the Labsub/21" BPH crew, even driving cabs with 35hz HPF. Shocked
teknojay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teknojay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

I'm more than happy with the noise mine puts out with hpf set at 40hz :)
Ras Loud View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ras Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 6:31pm
Just use two E90's. Smile
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 10:37pm
[QUOTE

I guess some of these "big" lightweight amps on sub will do rated power, if HPF is approx 60hz, which doesn't really demand much current, and great for pop, etc..

However  HPF 40-50hz, soon separates the wheat from the chaff, some of even the most expensive lightweights just won't tolerate that at 2 ohms - 2.66 ohms.

With some of the Labsub/21" BPH crew, even driving cabs with 35hz HPF. Shocked
[/QUOTE]

Ray - it may interest you to know that i HPF my subs at 28Hz, never any higher...one PLM14K drives 8 of my single 18" subs to the edge of their existence with ease, even in the mid - low 30's.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2013 at 2:33am
"Sell PL 9.0 to buy mc2???"

More like sell Mc2 to buy pl 9.0!!!

Unless sub offends you!!!!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2013 at 3:26am

...one PLM14K drives 8 of my single 18" subs to the edge of their existence with ease, even in the mid - low 30's.

LOL Clap
mi mong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mi mong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2013 at 6:45am
looks like I will be keeping the pl9.0's for a while!  some real good comments about the e90 and lightweight amps in general.  I cant afford two e90 amps and the k20 is quite expensive and I would have to run at 2ohm( I believe this is frowned upon for all amps) I will have look at the matrix and the pkn6000 they might be an option for meBig smile  
i went out today in my dressing gown......
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2013 at 9:15am
the pkn6000 is well worth having a look at, excellent amps. Personally i am not keen on the sound of the matrix amps on sub, they sound too dry to me. I am far from convinced on their reliability too.

As for 2 ohm operaton, whilst it is perfectly true that all amps are equal in terms of damping factor versus load impedance, the top tier of amplifiers ( for me, powersoft, QSC PL3 series, Lab gruppen, Hollstern) cope with 2 ohm impedance's with total ease and reliability. Thermal loads on these amps at 2Ω operation are no issue, indeed most are thermally and electrically stable into 1Ω loads...

but from a sound quality perspective it is a personal thing - my view is that with a low tuned sub, 4 ohm pr 8 ohm loads with give you a tighter, more articulate sound, but with well damped or over damped tight sounding subs, 2 ohm operation can give the sub a warmer sound.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123