Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mega of London

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2012 at 12:19am
No Chris--We never had any of the big Berthas just the smaller Mega full range cabinets that we used to use for sidefills or drumfills---In fact, I still have a pair of them in the garage now which I will be refurbing shortly--1x15", 1x10" horn loaded mid, 1" HF and a bullet tweeter complete with diamond mesh grilles c/w original Mega of London badges
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2012 at 5:17am
Originally posted by oldskool oldskool wrote:

Mega upstairs and Tony downstairs?!LOL
Surprised the bloody place was left standing after that onslaught. Yes those mega cabs were mental.
I remember seeing Brass Construction play Hammersmith Odeon in 1983 (as it was called back then) with just six of those cabs each side, 1.2 kW per cab, madness.
They even did a "diet version" with 2x15, 2x10, two inch comp and two slot radiators too  
Those Thames Valley Sundays must have been one hell of a day out Colin! Big smile  

They were quite good, we did the Kent show a couple of time's (think it was SEDA) they were hard work but always good fun, set up the "stand" in the morning,and from 12pm show off the kit and have a few beers in the process, Tony used to do the SEDA show too (but not Mega) he had ASS we had Martin Audio you can imagine the end result Big smile and not as stuck up and stuffy as Plasa. Very good times indeed
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
London Sound1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote London Sound1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2012 at 7:51am
I do have a brochure and price list from around 1982, I'm due to send to a SP member who will scan this and other material for SP and another site.

Ian
We know what most of the knobs do

http://www.soundengineer.co.uk
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2012 at 8:15am
My friend has a pair of megas festering in his garage ,12" flared mid with a nice 1" comp on top,will get some pics later,pretty sure they have a atc drive unit it too
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2012 at 9:38am

It will be great to see those old brochures - so much literature has disappeared over the years which is a shame, it's part of our PA heritage after all.

it's all just cardboard and magnets really
simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2012 at 8:15pm
Just seen these on the bay...  maybe of interest to someone..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mega-Mid-horn-loaded-ATC-driver-Speakers-/221114345261?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item337b71272d#ht_500wt_1245

colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2012 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by simonh simonh wrote:

Just seen these on the bay...  maybe of interest to someone..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mega-Mid-horn-loaded-ATC-driver-Speakers-/221114345261?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item337b71272d#ht_500wt_1245

Yes Simon I've already seen those, stonkin cheap at 200 quid a pair worth that for the drivers alone I would have thought.
I'd love a full mega system even if it was just to say I've had one.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2012 at 8:45pm
Wasn't sure of the value myself Col, but I did think they looked cheap.  I bet it's probably the only system you haven't had.... Big smile  
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2012 at 8:49pm
I believe these are the earlier Mega 9inch mids,with wooden flares,the later ones had molded fibreglass flares,ala martin ladyshaves.
Be seeing you.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2012 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by simonh simonh wrote:

Wasn't sure of the value myself Col, but I did think they looked cheap.  I bet it's probably the only system you haven't had.... Big smile  

I done Martin, Turbo, EV and ASS of the bigger stuff but never Mega, but I do love the look of it especially the glass fiber horns,

I thing the early horn loaded system's looked so mean and most of them sounded brutal back in those day's, don't forget back then most of the bigger systems were 3 way at most sub bass wasn't an option because it wasn't needed and half the time the cabs were never driven to their max power because most of the amps were quite low powered by today's standard's anyway. 

Think about it two of the biggest most common amps at the time (Crown DC300 & HHS500D) were only rated at 340watts per channel at 4ohms it would have been quite difficult to achieve the 400 watts needed to drive the commonly used drivers of the day like the JBL E140 or Gauss 4583A but the sound levels were still very impressive for the amount of actual power being used.

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2012 at 10:51am
Someone got a bargain there..8x Mega ATC mids for Winning bid:£235.00

He might as well have given them away for that price.

Anyone here get them?
Be seeing you.
simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2012 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Someone got a bargain there..8x Mega ATC mids for Winning bid:£235.00

He might as well have given them away for that price.

Anyone here get them?

Hopefully someone on here got them for that price Ian.  I went to motion54 monthly event last night.  One of the sound systems used 3 phillishaves & 3 ladyshaves.  I like their sound.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>