Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mega of London
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mega of London

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Message
madboffin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc


Joined: 03 July 2009
Location: Milton Keynes
Status: Offline
Points: 1185
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 9:05pm
Sadly it looks like APS has folded up after being in business for 15 years or so.

-----

Midas and Martin were based in a yard at Stanhope Street, just up the road from the Euston Tower and the TV studios.
Also at the yard was the UK sales office of MCI (studio tape machines and recording consoles) which was run by Siggi Jackson who had previously run Blue Beat records and was largely responsible for introducing Carribbean music to the UK. Though oddly enough he was from Eastern Europe (a refugee from WW2,  sad story...), and not the West Indies!

-----

Bob Doyle had a good career after Tekserv. He spent some years as sales manager at Midas after they were bought by KT, then helped to start Digico, and has now retired.


Back to Top
Kraznet View Drop Down
New Member
New Member


Joined: 09 March 2017
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 9
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kraznet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Dub Specialist Sound Dub Specialist Sound wrote:

Ive still got a pair of mega cabs , still rock soild

great build quailty.....and still sound great in today standed

It's amazing to know there are still Mega cabs around and working in 2017 !! I would never have imagined they would have lasted that long all that time ago so it's very reassuring.

Martin
Back to Top
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User
Avatar

Joined: 28 November 2012
Location: Bristol
Status: Online
Points: 261
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:


Also at the yard was the UK sales office of MCI (studio tape machines and recording consoles) which was run by Siggi Jackson who had previously run Blue Beat records and was largely responsible for introducing Carribbean music to the UK. Though oddly enough he was from Eastern Europe (a refugee from WW2,  sad story...), and not the West Indies!


Zigmund Jankowski, from Poland.  He was very taken with my then fiancee Jadzia (Jadwiga) back in 65/66 when I was working at the Ricky Tick in Windsor and trying to blag free BlueBeat and MeloDisc trax.

Spent hours in the Nelly Dean I think it was, trying to get us drunk.

Back to Top
Kraznet View Drop Down
New Member
New Member


Joined: 09 March 2017
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 9
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kraznet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by BJtheDJ BJtheDJ wrote:

Back in the 80s I worked a club called Martells on Anchor Road in Bristol - it had Mega bass bins, they were  either 8x10's or 12x10's and many of the drivers inside were dead and they were finally dragged out to the loading bay where they disappeared one night after a sound system clash; they weren't missed for at least 6 months.  Never got to hear them in what might have been their glory, they were running of an H|H v800.

Chris at CP cases, remember him from before CP started when he was with Dave Simms at the 'Musical Bargain Centre' in South Ealing, which later moved up to The Grove in Ealing proper; got my first intro to cyanoacrylate from them trying (and failing) to repair a mike stand.

Long gone days.


I don't recall ever making any  8 x 10 or 12 x 10 bass bins. Maybe they were made as a special after I left.

I didn't realise Chris worked with Dave Simms. I presume that was the Simms in Simms-Watt?
Yes long gone days as I said it seems like a different lifetime.
Back to Top
Kraznet View Drop Down
New Member
New Member


Joined: 09 March 2017
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 9
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kraznet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

Sadly it looks like APS has folded up after being in business for 15 years or so.

-----

Midas and Martin were based in a yard at Stanhope Street, just up the road from the Euston Tower and the TV studios.
Also at the yard was the UK sales office of MCI (studio tape machines and recording consoles) which was run by Siggi Jackson who had previously run Blue Beat records and was largely responsible for introducing Carribbean music to the UK. Though oddly enough he was from Eastern Europe (a refugee from WW2,  sad story...), and not the West Indies!

-----

Bob Doyle had a good career after Tekserv. He spent some years as sales manager at Midas after they were bought by KT, then helped to start Digico, and has now retired.


It's all coming back now thanks for the info!! I remember Bob mentioning Tekserv.
Back to Top
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User
Avatar

Joined: 28 November 2012
Location: Bristol
Status: Online
Points: 261
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Kraznet Kraznet wrote:

Originally posted by BJtheDJ BJtheDJ wrote:

Back in the 80s I worked a club called Martells on Anchor Road in Bristol - it had Mega bass bins, they were  either 8x10's or 12x10's and many of the drivers inside were dead and they were finally dragged out to the loading bay where they disappeared one night after a sound system clash; they weren't missed for at least 6 months.  Never got to hear them in what might have been their glory, they were running of an H|H v800.

Chris at CP cases, remember him from before CP started when he was with Dave Simms at the 'Musical Bargain Centre' in South Ealing, which later moved up to The Grove in Ealing proper; got my first intro to cyanoacrylate from them trying (and failing) to repair a mike stand.

Long gone days.


I don't recall ever making any  8 x 10 or 12 x 10 bass bins. Maybe they were made as a special after I left.

More than possible, I'm talking 83/83 there

Quote I didn't realise Chris worked with Dave Simms. I presume that was the Simms in Simms-Watt?
Yes long gone days as I said it seems like a different lifetime.

Yep, Dave Simms, one of the great raconteurs; had some great tales to tell over a drink or fourteen.

Back to Top
Kraznet View Drop Down
New Member
New Member


Joined: 09 March 2017
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 9
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kraznet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Martin--Yes,I think that both Peter and Chris were involved with the Argents venture and possibly again later on with Bob Henrit and the Drumstore---It is really amazing how the music business circles went around and around in the good old days.
Argent were managed at one stage by Maurice Jones who was based in Wolverhampton at the time and he went on to form Midland Concert Promotions and the Monsters Of Rock festivals at Donnington and sadly is no longer with us--He also did all of the hard work organising Live Aid at Wembley but was always kept in the background by Harvey Goldsmith who wanted to take all of the kudos but not the graft involved in organising such a major event.
I eventually ended up with the huge Laney PA rig that was put together specifically for Argent at Laney's factory at Cradley Heath and would you believe, the bottom end was a horn loaded 2x12 bass cabinet long before the Mega design came about and some of these ended up on the in-house PA rig in the famous Club Lafayette in Wolverhampton.

I briefly had a Laney bass cab. I think it was a 1 x 15  but it was a bit big to cart about so I sold it.
Black Sabbath  made the Laney name really. I also had a custom John Birch bass which I got from his Bromsgrove workshop. He built quite a few of them for Sabbath as well. I think he was probably the first British custom guitar builder.

Yes everyone seemed to know each other or have connections in those days although it's probably much the same now. Although the retail music shop business is pretty much  on its knees compared to then.
Back to Top
madboffin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc


Joined: 03 July 2009
Location: Milton Keynes
Status: Offline
Points: 1185
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by BJtheDJ BJtheDJ wrote:


Zigmund Jankowski, from Poland.

Yes that's him, a nice old guy. I think he finally gave up working in the music business in the early 2000's  and retired to the south coast. Must be in his nineties by now, if he's still around.
Not many people are aware of his major contribution to that sector of the record business, unlike say, Chris Blackwell's.




Edited by madboffin - 09 March 2017 at 10:25pm
Back to Top
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc
Avatar

Joined: 06 October 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 5039
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 11:35am
I heard the 8 x 10 box you speak off they were loaded with volt drivers but we're a huge box in depth.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Back to Top
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User
Avatar

Joined: 28 November 2012
Location: Bristol
Status: Online
Points: 261
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 11:44am
Originally posted by colint colint wrote:

I heard the 8 x 10 box you speak off they were loaded with volt drivers but we're a huge box in depth.

Too damn right Smile, 8 or 10 feet at least - we certainly had fun moving them from the dance floor,.
Back to Top
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User
Avatar

Joined: 28 November 2012
Location: Bristol
Status: Online
Points: 261
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 11:49am
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

Originally posted by BJtheDJ BJtheDJ wrote:


Zigmund Jankowski, from Poland.

Yes that's him, a nice old guy. I think he finally gave up working in the music business in the early 2000's  and retired to the south coast. Must be in his nineties by now, if he's still around.
Not many people are aware of his major contribution to that sector of the record business, unlike say, Chris Blackwell's.


Yep; while taking nothing from Chris Blackwell's contribution to the music scene (and his own personal wealth Big smile ), he trod a road that had been paved by Ziggy.
Back to Top
superhanz View Drop Down
New Member
New Member


Joined: 20 April 2017
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 9
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superhanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 8:48pm
Hi guys,
In need of advice!  

I have a pair of MEGA speakers but can't seem to find out much about them at all!  Looking to sell them but no idea what price point to put them at.  Would anyone be able to help give me some info?  Can't even find out what model they are!
Thanks!!





Edited by superhanz - 20 April 2017 at 8:50pm
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.047 seconds.