Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mid / High DIY Speaker plans for portable system
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mid / High DIY Speaker plans for portable system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andidub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid / High DIY Speaker plans for portable system
    Posted: 01 June 2023 at 2:21pm
Hi everybody,

I am currentyl building a tapped horn sub speaker (link to the building instructions http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-159-11114.html)

I am planning to build a mobile 2/3 driver soundsystem, with batterypack, and bluetooth connection - and - that (concerning eletronic parts) as simple as possible - and more imprtant for a low budget.

For the horn (incl. speaker) I paid about 150 €

Now, as it is supposed to be a full frequency range sound system I need another speaker, which I want to instal on top of the horn and is covering the mids and high frequencies.

Im not sure if it's a good idea to just have one speaker for that, or does it make more sense to build a box containing a high freq and a mid range speaker?

I would be very happy about any ideas (building plans) for chassis / speaker combinations, that are low budget and turned out to have decent sound.

The driver I am using in the horn is that one: https://www.thomann.de/de/the_box_speaker_12_280_8_w.htm
having 8 ohm and I want to drive it till 300W.

As it is supposed to run on a battery pack und fit on a small wagon, energy and space/weight is limited.

About the battery pack and amplifier I haven't thought about that much yet, since the second speaker is not decided jet - I would also be very happy if you have any ideas concerning that in addition to the mid/high speaker - but as I said, low budget is important :)

Thank's a lot in advance! I would be very happy if you could help me any step further!

Greetings Andy
Pl
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 2:36pm
A coaxial 8/10/12" driver combo would perform pretty well and could be relatively compact, a stack of smaller(2.5-3") fullrange drivers might also be an option but that would likely be harder to build. 
andidub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andidub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 5:21pm
Thanks, that helped me a lot! :)

A stack of smaller drivers sounds tempting! But I probably should go for the simpler version.

Concerning energy demand they're about the same? 

Having any building plan in your mind for the coaxial driver build?

andidub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andidub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 6:38pm
Hi again,

so I finally got on with things and I pretty much now know what I want to do:

Tapped Horn sub with 280W rms
and on top a
12" coaxial driver combo in a compact ported enclosure with 250 W rms.

Now I need the following part, but I didn't have luck yet to find one:

An afforadable amplifier with one input and at least 600W rms separated in two channels and running on 12 oder 24V or sth like that (and if this exists at all with an included DSP :) )

would be very happy for any hints!!! :)

imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 9:27pm
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
andidub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andidub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2023 at 9:16am
Oh yes, thank you! That's exactly what I need! :)
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2023 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by andidub andidub wrote:

About the battery pack and amplifier I haven't thought about that much yet,
Pl

Big mistake. I'd say first things to think about are the size/weight constraints, modes of transport and storage - followed by how you're going to power it. Only _then_ start on speakers and amplifiers - chosen to suit the above criteria.

Well my 2c.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2023 at 6:48pm

Be aware that power figures quoted are into 3ohm, and at optimal voltage. They have a lot of models though so you should find one that's suitable.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
andidub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andidub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2023 at 7:29pm
Thanks for the warning! Maybe I did describe it a bit short.

The Sub will fit right on a hand cart and should be portable like this. The midtop will fit right on top of it.

I am planning to get the power from a 12V/24V battery block being external to those. (LiFePo4, sth like this) thinking of a car battery like size. As small as possible but limiting is the play time.

If the battery block will must have 12 or 24V depends from the amplifier right, so that's the next thing in line for me :)

Does that make sense? Or am I missing sth?
andidub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andidub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2023 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

Be aware that power figures quoted are into 3ohm, and at optimal voltage. They have a lot of models though so you should find one that's suitable.

Powering a 8ohm driver with a 3ohm amplifier won't make any problems like heat, but will make the drivers more quiet right? (Hoe much?) Is there also a loss in energy?

Greetings 
andidub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andidub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2023 at 7:35pm

Thanks for the warning! Maybe I did describe it a bit short.

The Sub will fit right on a hand cart and should be portable like this. The midtop will fit right on top of it.

I am planning to get the power from a 12V/24V battery block being external to those. (LiFePo4, sth like this) thinking of a car battery like size. As small as possible but limiting is the play time.

If the battery block will must have 12 or 24V depends from the amplifier right, so that's the next thing in line for me :)

Does that make sense? Or am I missing sth?

And I used 8ohm drivers because they need less energy to get loud (higher efficiency) is that right too? :)
andidub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andidub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2023 at 7:13pm
Hey guys,

wanted to keep you up to date:

I ordered the Wondom JAB5 which is 4*100W 6Ohm, but I can run it in bridge mode 2*200W! And it's basically all included, the DSP, Bluetooth, digital and analog input! Being really excited about it!
It's charged with 12-36V 4A, which I now can plug in either a AC charger or via 12V or 24V battery! Just all l ever wanted! And since the amplifier is handled by the DSP, I will have a good view on power consumption and will save a lot of power as well!

The sub is about to be finished, things for midtop are on it's way! Things are getting clear now! Thank you all for your help! Really made some things easier for me!

Edited by andidub - 08 June 2023 at 7:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply