Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mid Top recommendations to sit above Cubos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid Top recommendations to sit above Cubos
    Posted: 07 December 2017 at 9:35pm
Current setup is Cubo 15s, Cubo 18s (in build) and Cubo kicks - 6 boxes in total.
Im using a pair of JBL SF25s for my mid tops, but want something smaller and more suitable.
Ideal stack height would be 180/200cms and a footprint of 60x60cms to match the Cubos would be great.
Only doing small events at the minute, so dont need massive throw, outside events will be based out of a 6x12m marquee.
I was thinking something MT* based, but not sure if that will be overkill for my current requirements?
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2017 at 10:03pm
I'm running cubo subs and used JBL SF25s for a long time with them. Their compression driver is appaling but with a truck load of sub from the cubos it was sort of pleasing mainly just due to my eyeballs rattling with sub.

I picked up some JBL MP415 tops. Many consider these to be low end too but the CD is massive upgrade and runs smoothly up to 20khz. The difference when doing an AB test between the SF25 and MP415 is night and day.
MP415 is only 350w rms but is loud. They're quite compact and light. I like them.
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 12:04am
How about some orbit 4’s?
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 9:09am

Edited by rosssss224 - 08 December 2017 at 9:10am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 9:10am
we have some MT 101' s and they work great
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by charlysays charlysays wrote:

I'm running cubo subs and used JBL SF25s for a long time with them. Their compression driver is appaling but with a truck load of sub from the cubos it was sort of pleasing mainly just due to my eyeballs rattling with sub.

It was your thread about sub placement that made me post this Wink its something that's been worrying me (running the JBLs) and I thought it was about time that I sorted the mid/top end out 

Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

How about some orbit 4’s?

Good choice, but ideally want to home build (I actually enjoy it!)
Originally posted by rosssss224 rosssss224 wrote:

we have some MT 101' s and they work great

Your system is part of the reason for going the Cubo route Wink will look into the MT101s

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 12:18pm
good stuff! We're actually in the process of upgrading to super bass horns but wll be sad to see the cubes go! Keeping the kicks though and will probably keep the subs
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 12:33pm
You will need kick bins if you go the MT rout, Cubo kick 15 is an excellent bin, with the right driver they sound very nice but you will be running 3/4 way active going this rout, dual 15 + 2" comp in the right cab can sound very good above Cubo's, 3 way active or 2 way with a well thought out passive x'over to the comp driver.
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by rosssss224 rosssss224 wrote:

good stuff! We're actually in the process of upgrading to super bass horns but wll be sad to see the cubes go! Keeping the kicks though and will probably keep the subs

Cubos are a nice size for me at the minute, If I go bigger im going to need more storage, have the garage racked and everything has a space at the minute (just!). Have you got a link to the plans you used for the MTs at all please?
Originally posted by concept-10 concept-10 wrote:

You will need kick bins if you go the MT rout, Cubo kick 15 is an excellent bin, with the right driver they sound very nice but you will be running 3/4 way active going this rout, dual 15 + 2" comp in the right cab can sound very good above Cubo's, 3 way active or 2 way with a well thought out passive x'over to the comp driver.

Kicks were the first speakers I ever built Big smile bought the 15s and building the 18s (then whichever top I go for). Everything is running off my VSX26 at the minute... but very valid point, im currently 3 way and will need to go 4 (not a problem if I run mono)

Edited by IainB - 08 December 2017 at 12:53pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2017 at 2:23pm
We didnt build them actually. Saw them for sale for £160 so couldn't say no!
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by IainB IainB wrote:

Originally posted by charlysays charlysays wrote:

It was your thread about sub placement that made me post this Wink its something that's been worrying me (running the JBLs) and I thought it was about time that I sorted the mid/top end out 

I'll be very interested in what you build. I fancy building some mid tops but don't really fancy using the extra DSP bands and amp channels to avoid the whole passive crossover nightmare. Just looked up plans for MT 101 and can only find MT 130?

Tbh, I still don't see what the issue is with the JBL MP400 series tops- they're a massive upgrade over the JRX and their response plot looks remarkbly flat all the way up to 20khz. Before I bought them I did a lot of searching and couldn't find anyone with a bad word to say about them with some preferring them over the SRX.
Also that paragraph from Rog Mogale says that you want something like an extra 10db under 100hz for dance music (hence the cubos) and a dip in the mid range- if you have a flat response system peoples heads get cut off by the mids in his words, before they can feel any bass.

I dunno, im starting to wonder if my idea of what sounds and feels good is not what "is" good lol

Edited by charlysays - 09 December 2017 at 6:10pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 9:15pm
mt101 are just a single 10" version of the mt102 on the main speakerplans site.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>