Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mid tops for 2x Cubo 12 + Cubo kick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashnatiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid tops for 2x Cubo 12 + Cubo kick
    Posted: 20 December 2020 at 12:14pm
Hey guys me and a friend of mine have finally decided to start our first build.
I realize the plans referenced (Cubo 12 and cubo kick) are from another website but we looked through them all and these looked like what we wanted. 
Also the drivers for them are cheap and readily available in our country (Bulgaria).
We could not find however any midtop plans that we could pair with them either here or on the other forum. 
We thought about MT121s or MT130s but they both seem to be way too big and powerful for the rest of what we are planning to build.
We are going to be using this system for smal parties and do not plan expanding it in the near future.

In total it would be 4 Cubo 12s, 2 Cubo kicks and 2 Midtops that we have not decided on yet.
Any advice is welcome.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2020 at 7:04pm
I think the X10 would be sufficient.
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2020 at 11:28am
I'm not sure I understand the need for kicks over 12" "subs".
I'd be looking at ported 18"s which will likely go an octave lower.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2020 at 1:15pm
Ouch

Weird plan for a system. It really depends a lot, we don't know how much experience and knowledge you have, the reason for your current plan, etc.

Cubo 12  has a big design compromise. It sacrifices low frequency output to obtain compact box size and high output. It struggles to reproduce any bass under 45 hz. It also has a huge boost in the kick range above 140 hz which needs to be eq:d down. I struggle to see any use for the cubo12, except for specific donk/tek/wtf music genres that lack real bass and subbass, or in special applications like 12V/off the grid.

It doesnt make much sense to have cubo 12 as a "subwoofer", and then have another, different "kick bin".

options:
1. Just build 6 x cubo 12 as a one-way bass solution (if you reaaally want cubo)
2. Choose a different sub design, use cubo12 or cubo kick  as kick if you must
3. Build something entirely different (probably the best option)

shashnatiq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashnatiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2020 at 4:45pm
We are also considering building the following

(for each side)
2x Cubo 15
Cubo Kick 15
mt121 

Would this be a lot better? The reason we wanted the Cubo 12s is because we would use them mainly for house parties with ~50 people at most, we don't own a truck or any other way to transport them besides our cars, and we are also both students so money is an issue.
The music they will be used for is techno and drum and bass exclusively.
We do not have any previous experience.

I also estimated the cost and it looks to me as though the drivers will only be ~25% cheaper for the 12s, we would have to spend a lot less on amplifiers.

Also on the other forum Cubo said the Cubo 15 will take 600 watts to power. The eminence driver is rated at 600. 
My understanding is limited but I always thought the power handling numbers on driver or amps (at least the cheaper ones) are massively over stated. 

I realize this is probably bottom tier, please understand that the financial situation we are in is not that great, bu would a behringer KM1700 amplifier be sufficient to power 2 Eminence Kappa pro 15s (used in the Cubo 15)?

My main concern with not going the 15 inch route is powering the speakers on the tight budget with have.

Edited by shashnatiq - 21 December 2020 at 4:51pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashnatiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2020 at 4:46pm
We are also open to building anything else of course, if the budget remains the same and the drivers are available at thomann.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2020 at 5:05pm
For small "house parties", just build some cubo 15's - with a couple of 12" & 1"/1,4" reflex above. You could start with just 2 of each, then expand as needed.

And why do you want kick bins for such a small/basic system. I'd say that you were overcomplicating the thing.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashnatiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2020 at 5:34pm
Thanks for the input.
What would be the best budget amplifier to power 2 of the Cubo 15s? Would the one I mentioned in my previous post (Behringer KM1700) be sufficient?

Also if budget is one of our main concerns should we get a "Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro"
or a simpler crossover like the "Behringer CX3400 Crossover"?

Regarding the kick bins It was just that after reading through the forums I was left with the impression that for the type of music we play it would be quite an enhancement, but perhaps I am wrong.
Also Cubo says that 1 Cubo 15 kick will be a nice addition to 2 of his subs (in the plans page for the kickbin)

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2020 at 5:58pm
If you can afford it - get the DCX. A universe above the other (cheap) Behringer xovers.

And, ok - maybe go for a Cubo 12 for kick then. I'd say that a 15 would be a bit OTT for what you are doing - as well as wasted! Keep the 15's for the sub.  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashnatiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2020 at 11:53pm
Thanks for the info everyone!

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2020 at 3:23am
KaphaSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaphaSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2020 at 5:40am
50hz really isn’t very low, you’ll feel like you’re missing some 2/3rds of an octave in the sub range. I’d second the thread above and maybe recommend looking into a tham15 to push you closer to 40hz (lowest note on a standard tuned 4 string bass guitar). Cost difference in wood should be marginal and I don’t think the weight should be much more either although it will be a larger box.

Edited by KaphaSound - 22 December 2020 at 5:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>