Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mid Tops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiPZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid Tops
    Posted: 19 January 2020 at 12:20pm
I'm looking for some ideas for mid tops to go on top of THAM12's and some 10inch kicks. 

Horn loaded would be cool! 

TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2020 at 2:06pm
How many THAM 12s? What sort of music? Crowd size? Venue size? I’ve found my THAM 12s kick very nicely up to about 120 Hz, so unless you’re looking at a mid/top that won’t go that low, I’d say don’t worry about dedicated kicks, it’s just another level of complexity for not much gain.
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
NiPZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiPZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2020 at 2:34pm
2 Tham12's for a wide range of music, normally outside but inside sometimes. Never more than 50 people really haha! Just for personal parties to be honest! 
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2020 at 8:11pm
For that size crowd, a pair of 12” plus horn reflex would be where my money goes. In fact that’s exactly where it went some years ago now, for me. I regularly do a gig in a hall seating about 100 with a pair of THAM 12s, loaded with oberton 12B450, and a pair of Yamaha S12e’s. With 600w to each THAM & 300w to each Yamaha, there is still plenty of noise, even with 6dB of headroom on the whole system.
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 3:37pm
Coaxial 8" are nice for mobile 12v systems. The cheapest competent ones are from P.Audio, with the right crossover they sound OK. If you get them up on a pole above head height, they can rock 50 people no problem.
Or consider a small curved array of 3 or 4 inch full-range drivers? If your kicks can get up to 150 or 200Hz, you could make some VERY lightweight, wide dispersion tops that way. Faital Pro make some nice cheap units.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply