Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mid-Top Opinons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

If you dont need the Super HF of the BMS 4590, there is the 4591 (is that the name?) which is just the MF part of the coax. It is a very loud, very low THD compression driver. Couple it to the biggest horn you can find/afford.

This sounds like a good call for you're requirements. Contact Bee on here for a price.
mellotone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2017 at 4:49am
Yes corell, can't disagree there. Somewhat of a dated approach to split the HF, especially with the options available today that can easily do the job in (1) driver — like the one mentioned above.

No real logical explanation other than sometimes nostalgia outweighs the rational.

mellotone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2017 at 5:14am
Really appreciate all those who have offered thoughts thus far.
Got some decisions to make.

mellotone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2017 at 5:18am
Originally posted by knet94 knet94 wrote:

Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

If you dont need the Super HF of the BMS 4590, there is the 4591 (is that the name?) which is just the MF part of the coax. It is a very loud, very low THD compression driver. Couple it to the biggest horn you can find/afford.

This sounds like a good call for you're requirements. Contact Bee on here for a price.

Thanks knet, have followed many of your comments on SP and value your input. Will reach out to Bee for thoughts.
mellotone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2017 at 5:21am
Many of you here have probably been down same path and ultimately found a solution that works for you— "journey is the destination" and all Wink just looking to try it out and decide for myself.

The 4591 looks very interesting. Looks to go very low based on BMS graph but wondering if a x/o of 800Hz to 6kHz would work well between the 12s and bullets?

Still struggling with:
How high to run the mid-bass 12s (Colossus MB, Crescendos, other, etc.) before x-ing to a 2" CD?

and:
Given my proposed gear, is a single 4591 enough to live between (2) 12s and (4) bullets? Or would a pair of 4591s work better?

Edited by mellotone - 04 April 2017 at 2:08pm
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2017 at 6:35pm
If the 4591 has the same 2" compression driver as the 4590 then there will be no problems keeping up.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2017 at 9:59pm
even 1 4590 keeps up with 4 proper bms 12" BRs easily.. 4591 is even more efficient.. 4 bullets wont keep up imo..

I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2017 at 10:16pm
Has anyone built, seen or heard a system using the midrange BMS 4599nd? Double voice coil neo version of 4591, to save you googling it.

I'm sure maximus kudos to anyone who did, but how could anything else keep up, above or below?

To the OP, I believe the bms 4591 is being upgraded soon, it's neo brother got a 5db boost. However, it hasn't been announced in the latest batch of goodies from Germany:
http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=802&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=68&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=693&cHash=24d9f4ddb556627ee502de7c2b1ddd9d
mellotone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 6:50am
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

even 1 4590 keeps up with 4 proper bms 12" BRs easily.. 4591 is even more efficient.. 4 bullets wont keep up imo..

Well, this comment certainly has me re-thinking going 4591 + bullets.

Starting to think I might just go back to considering a more classic pairing by seeking out a pair of EV DH1a + my bullets, and going modern at a later time.

So that begs the question of what's the ideal x/o for the DH1a?

Edited by mellotone - 05 April 2017 at 2:12pm
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 8:26am
Just bung the bullets on top, no need to plug the bloomin things in.
mellotone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

Just bung the bullets on top, no need to plug the bloomin things in.

Thanks for the input, that option is still on the table. Trying to work with what I have though. 

Either way sounds like I'll be in the market for a 4590 in the near future anyways. 

Edited by mellotone - 05 April 2017 at 6:43pm
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by I-shen Soundboy I-shen Soundboy wrote:

Has anyone built, seen or heard a system using the midrange BMS 4599nd? Double voice coil neo version of 4591, to save you googling it.

I'm sure maximus kudos to anyone who did, but how could anything else keep up, above or below?

To the OP, I believe the bms 4591 is being upgraded soon, it's neo brother got a 5db boost. However, it hasn't been announced in the latest batch of goodies from Germany:
http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=802&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=68&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=693&cHash=24d9f4ddb556627ee502de7c2b1ddd9d

Have you seen the price tag of the 4599? If you buy them plus a number of lets say 4 BMS 4505 to go above them, just the HF for one side will set you back a good 2000€ ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>