Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

midtop suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: midtop suggestion
    Posted: 27 December 2017 at 5:12am
i have read a few threads and there doesnt seem to be a conclusive answer...
what are the benefits/tradeoffs here?

from what i gather:
mt130: flatter response and higher sesitivity (vs 121) and extremely long directivity
mt121: more difficult build
smt112: hybrid option
also came across this midtop plan. any thoughts?

this would go above 4hogs and 2 2x15" flh kicks (xover around 200-250hz). current plan for 1 stack only - my later question would be whether to go with a 212 or just a 112 midtop. i personally like the 112 more and feel like 2 12s per cab is a bit of an overkill?
supremesoundz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2017 at 10:58am
there are some double x12s for sale on ebay at the moment. Pretty sure these are the same boxes that i owned once upon a time. loaded with p audio and bms. Good solid builds too. Bargain price
jngggggggg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2017 at 4:18pm
Based in north America so would probably be best to just build cabs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2018 at 9:42pm
bump
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 6:56pm
How good are your building skills/are you up for trying a more difficult build?

I'm inna similar boat...looking for a midtop design to sit above 4 hogs/4 ES18s...got two 12+1 tops at the mo but they don't quite keep up with 2 hogs and kicks so wanting something larger for when I expand.

I'm designing a 12+10+1.4 design...going to have 3 of them per 4-scoop stack. 12 @ 135-350hz, 10 @ 350-2.5khz and 1.4 @ 2.5k-beyond.

Inspired by the Omega horn (can't remember which forum member here made it), some of Stable Audio's 3-way top designs, and the Peter Morris 60. Check them out!

Otherwise I'd suggest the MT131 for long-throw use and MT122/MT121 for smaller venues and use.
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
T-Bone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 7:03pm
I was thinking of building the Omega Horn mid top I contacted the designer he says I can use the Faital Pro 10PR300 which I have 4 new in box sitting around. The only turned away from this design because the 2.5kHz top end for the 10" you have to experiment which phase plug to design by yourself that would be a pain in the ass. I would rather build the MT 102 in the MT122 thread easier to build, and you can use a 15" Cubo Kick for 90-220 Hz then the MT102 on top of that. Just a suggestion.Big smile
BASS, how low can you go!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 7:10pm
I have a friend who is a red seal carpenter helping with the build though he has never built a speaker cab ever...

With what limited info I have read, I am leaning towards build four mt112s to sit in a single stack. I've been told that although they're more suited for large venues or outdoor, the long directivity can be mitigated for indoor use by just having more and not running them as hard. This should be fine since there will be the odd time I split the stack into w halves for certain rooms.

Any other suggestions or experiences with other mentioned cabs would still be appreciated...
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2018 at 8:02pm
2x smt212s, even with suitable "budget" drivers, should keep up fine with your sub/bass cabs and sound "better" in 2-300cap indoor venues/could easily be crossed lower than both other 12" options you named - for better vocal clarity and coupling to your bass in single stereo use.. compared to a 212 reflex you gain some lowmid efficiency/directivity at the price of size and weight+slightly more peaky mids response, hf would require a rel. beefy 1.4" and large horn anyways..

(if you have access to faital drivers in canada - 12fh/pr.. series, hf14.. series, lth142 offer some great options at a sensible price imo..)

2-3 mt130/mt121s will obiously be more efficient, per driver/size 200hz up but also exhibit even more peaky response and directivity - cant be crossed as low in singles, will "throw" further within certain passband, wont sound as nice up close indoors, better suited to outdoor setups imo..

.. if you mainly do large mono stack gigs in 10x10m++ venues indoor and outdoor 3 mt121s+large 1.4" horns and drivers might suit you better than 2x smt212s, if you do a lot of smaller venues and need more flexibility smt212s/or even 212reflex with similar hf/horns might suit your needs better..

a 15/8/1" like the bluearan mt1581 would be another good option imo covering 80hz up from a single, yet 2-3 wide arrayable, cab. those sonitus horns seem great bang per buck compared to a diy build covering same passband with even coverage.. crossing above 2khz would not require a large hf nor horn either hence total cost per MHF unit might even be cheaper overall than using an expensive but compromising 1 way mhf solution?!

turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2018 at 9:23pm
+ 1 for the blue aran 15+8+1. Seriously loud, even with the cheap oberton 1" driver, which sounds excellent to my ears and is quite loud.

The 8" clarity on mids, including microphone live setup is stunning in this price range. Get the loudest 15" you can find, Oberton 15mb is good. I ran them on the largest camco vortex amps, so quite a lot headroom Wink. comfortable bonus is, you have a lot of freedom for crossover settings with this setup. 3 a side are sufficient for 200-300 party at high spl levels.

Edit: If you have smaller gigs, you can leave the kickbins at home and just carry the mid high with you. I would think,  1 blue aran top on stands next to a hog per side is a really nice combo. Just take the best 15" you find !

Edited by turbo7 - 15 January 2018 at 9:31pm
Hz so good View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hz so good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 10:30pm
I've been looking at different mid top ideas, originally I wanted a pair of mt121s but they're difficult to build so I've left that for now, had another look through the old fane book last week and noticed that on page 51 the 15" W type bass cab also recommends using a 12" driver and adding horns to the front panel for use in full range systems, I'm not sure which horns would fit or whether it would sound any good,

It looks like you could get one from one 8x4 sheet if you pinch a few cm here and give a few back there, 

I've not seen any built before in this way but Google kept bringing up ev eliminator 1a's when I did an image search, 

Has anyone else seen or heard this type of cab, I'm thinking we either don't see em for a reason an people just steer clear,  

Or its just simply been overlooked and never really caught on...... 

Maybe this could be a midtop worth looking at, 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 4:28am
is there a reason why the market seems to be dominated by mt122/mt121 versus smt's? im sure plentyof sounds throw events w/ 200-300 person capacity. What hasnt the smt caught up if its as good as you say?

dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 7:55am
Originally posted by turbo7 turbo7 wrote:

+ 1 for the blue aran 15+8+1. Seriously loud, even with the cheap oberton 1" driver, which sounds excellent to my ears and is quite loud.

3 a side are sufficient for 200-300 party at high spl levels.

I should hope 6x 3 way midtops would absolutely destroy 2-300 people, and then some!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>