Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MIGHTY DUB PASS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsg mashed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MIGHTY DUB PASS
    Posted: 23 October 2007 at 9:31pm

M I G H T Y    D U B   P A S S

MIGHTY DUB PASS has been designed. I will fill in more details as I get time, but here's the low-down:

MIGHTY DUB PASS is designed for use in singles or multiples. MIGHTY DUB PASS operates from 30Hz to 110Hz. MIGHTY DUB PASS shows a half-space sensitivity of 101dB standard conditions in half space (but my tool gives more conservative results than most).

MIGHTY DUB PASS is designed for Void V18-1200. It's probably good with RCF L18P300 and maybe some other drivers - I'll check later. Not suitable for PD1850 or V18-1000 unfortunately.

I will supply diagrams later. To build, make a cuboid outer shell 1220mm high by 636mm wide by 750mm deep external (just slightly smaller than Rog's super scooper). Use 18mm ply and brace well.

Make a double-thickness (36mm) shelf panel to mount horizontally inside the shell. Cut a hole to mount the driver centred 275mm from the back of the shell. Build a cylindrical tube structure out of layered bendy wood internal diameter 500mm, length 300mm, thickness 25mm and attach to the underside of the shelf on the same centre as the driver (driver will sit on top of shelf, and cone faces through the cylinder). Plug the cylinder with a circular double thickness panel 500mm dia. Note that the cyclinder should contact the back of the outer shell - glue here for reinforcement. The plug panel should contain a 300mm diameter hole at its centre for a reflex port.

Cut two additional port holes 175mm dia in the space available at the front of the shelf panel. The shelf panel should be mounted to leave 370mm clearance between top of shelf and bottom of shell top panel.

Make a hole in the front panel located 200mm from the bottom of the cabinet to a diameter of 325mm (this dimension might change) for the final output port.

Port lengths have yet to be specified; they should be determined to achieve cabinet resonaces (low Z) at 28.5Hz, 57Hz and 101Hz. Driver resonances (high Z) should be at 15Hz, 39.5Hz, 80Hz and 119Hz. I will supply the actual lengths when I have determined them.

MIGHTY DUB PASS has been created, at least in theory. Let me know if you want to build one, and I'll help with the port length determination (which requires a built prototype).

Edit: slight tweaks to let the A and B ports be bigger (so they never exceed 5% speed of sound at 1400 watts, xover <= 100Hz). A port assumed half in A and half in C. B port assumed mostly in B (bottom of port level with bottom of A cavity). C port all in C.

Edited by jsg mashed - 24 October 2007 at 3:50pm
...because Good is Dumb.
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 9:44pm
I think a drawing would be really helpful my friend as i am abit confused... even a rough hand sketch would clear things up abit

Also could we have the winisd input data if you have it

Edited by Heathrow_B_line - 23 October 2007 at 9:46pm
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
Jhodas View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 10:25pm
You're down on scoops already my friend.
most get between 102-105dB sensitivity within usable bandwidth. (in half space)
Just how conservative is your software?
Until the Lions have their own historians, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter.
LostGrayCat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostGrayCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 10:40pm
So this is all in your head, not even on paper?
simo69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simo69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 10:44pm
Has this been built, tried and tested?

I am very interested as I run 8 X TSE218's, TMS4's, TSM3's etc, and need some serious sub below 40hz, what do you recomend?

We have recently bought a pair of G-Subs off Robbo to play with, just need to get the to get the phase right with the TSE218's.

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2007 at 10:12am
I just did all of the above and ended up with a DOG kennel Confused
jsg mashed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsg mashed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2007 at 10:16am
Hi all

Thanks for taking an interest

MIGHTY DUB PASS has been modelled using my proporietary software - which has also been used to model various similar subs which have been tested and check out. Diagrams to follow. MIGHTY DUB PASS is an 8th order design - I don't think WinISD even supports that...?

As regards sensistivity, remember that a scoop's frequency response gets messed up when used in singles, and the bottom end goes away, leaving a response to perhaps 40Hz -3dB (=pathetic). Only when combined in groups do you even get close to the specified response.

MIGHTY DUB PASS gets 106dB in mutliples of 4, and covers 30Hz to 110Hz -3dB with about 1dB ripple in-band.

Incidentally, this is one of the subtler problems with introducing new technology into an established domain. People (rightly) want to know the catches and what-ifs of the new ttech, but sometimes they have to be remineded that the *current* tech has it's own drawbacks too.

...because Good is Dumb.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2007 at 10:26am
A rough sketch would be cool?

I have a picture in my head now a box similar to the giant JBL tripple chamber band pass bin, anything like that?

[kicks dog back in kennel]
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2007 at 11:28am
I found this on 8th order BP : http://www.geocities.com/f4ier/speaker.htm
not you is it JSG?

and heres a picutre of an 8th order BP :
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2007 at 11:37am
Originally posted by jsg mashed jsg mashed wrote:

Hi all

As regards sensistivity, remember that a scoop's frequency response gets messed up when used in singles, and the bottom end goes away, leaving a response to perhaps 40Hz -3dB (=pathetic). Only when combined in groups do you even get close to the specified response.

Please let us know how we can expedite the completion of your DUB PASS endeavours.

So that the inaccuracies of the above statement, can be addressed at the earliest possible convenience.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsg mashed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2007 at 11:40am
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

giant JBL tripple chamber band pass bin, anything like that?

They look similar, but there are differences - in fact MIGHTY DUB PASS is more advanced than this old JBL design.

The JBL triple-chamber cab is really just a dual-chamber (parallel 6th order) because the outer two chambers are identical and there's a driver in each. Since each outer chamber does the same thing, merging them into one wouldn't change the behaviour of the system.

MIGHTY DUB PASS is designed for one driver. There are 3 chambers, but here each chamber plays a different role, which is why it's an 8th order design. Chamber "A" is the cylinder in front of the driver (it is cylindrical to ensure symmetrical loading on the driver cone and avoid cone failure). Chamber B is the top quarter of the cabinet behind the driver, and chamber "C" is the large space below A and B.

As far as porting goes, chambers A and B are both ported into chamber C and then C is ported to the outside. The C port is the only port that goes outside, and it has to be very big to move all that air. In fact I recommend a grille of some sort otherwise Fido could get a nasty surprise, but I think you need more percentage open area than a regular punched metal grille provides. More on that later.

...because Good is Dumb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsg mashed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2007 at 11:47am
Originally posted by adambomb adambomb wrote:

I found this on 8th order BP : http://www.geocities.com/f4ier/speaker.htm
not you is it JSG?

and heres a picutre of an 8th order BP :

That's not my site, but the diagram is correct for 8th order bandpass. Flip the driver over, make the middle chamber cylindrical (I only did this to reduce uneven cone loading) make the ports bigger and tune them correctly and you have MIGHTY DUB PASS.
...because Good is Dumb.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>