Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini Scoop 12"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonCarlson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mini Scoop 12"
    Posted: 10 February 2024 at 2:23pm
Hey guys,
I would like to build my own small sound system. I'm going to use it mainly for reggae and hip hop. I'm having the biggest problems with the subs when planning. On the one hand, they need to be compact, i.e. as small and light as possible, but on the other hand they need to be as deep (low frequency 40-50Hz) and loud as possible. I would also like them to have a classic scoop design. The drivers should be 12" or 10" if possible. I've already seen some plans but I'm still undecided. My current favourite is this one:
https://www.spiderbeat.com/gambar-desain-ukuran-boks-speaker-mini-scoop-12-lengkap/

I was also thinking about reducing the size of this scoop by a factor of 1.5.
https://planssystemes.notion.site/Super-914-d6edb1880a7242fb8ba574b29b8e995d

I also thought the MicroScoop was quite good, but unfortunately it has 15" drivers.
http://hornplans.free.fr/microscoope.html

Does anyone have any experience with these MINI Scoops or Mini Scoops in general? I was inspired by this sound system

https://www.hoqs.eu/products/simba-soundsy stem-4-way

Thanks for your help.
:)
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2024 at 9:37pm
Forget about it. Simple physics. You can't scale down a scoop and expect it to play down to 40 Hz. Not going to happen. 
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2024 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by DonCarlson DonCarlson wrote:

They need to be compact, i.e. as small and light as possible, but on the other hand they need to be as deep (low frequency 40-50Hz) and loud as possible. I would also like them to have a classic scoop design.
:)

Rule no 1 with Subs
Small? - Loud? - Low?
You are only allowed to choose 2 out of 3.

That's why there is so much choice & endless discussion.Geek
But if you have already decided on scoops. Then that means that you have narrowed down your options. Small is probably not very doable with scoops. But size is probably the major decider for most sub speaker options-  
Have you maximum cabinet dimensions in mind? Width x depth x height = volume
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2024 at 9:03am
12" scoop will still need some height and so it wont be that small, although it will be small in width. Also the cost of a decent 12" sub is alot. I would go 15" reflex instead. Still small and compact. Still put a pair in a hatchbackback with mid highs and poles. 
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
DonCarlson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonCarlson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2024 at 5:06pm
Thank you guys.
@Xoc1 Yes, I have now realised that reflex bins would probably be the better choice for my project. However, I'm looking for a compromise and think that scoops might be enough.
Dimensions could be a maximum of 0.8 m x 0.45 m x 0.6 m = 0.216 m³
@full speed I really like the scoops. Are these the 12" eminence scoops? What construction did you use for the kicks and kick tops?
Your set-up is exactly what I have in mind.

Edited by DonCarlson - 12 February 2024 at 5:13pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2024 at 10:48am
Nice one fullspeed! Thanks for the contribution!

@Don Carlson: there is a dedicated scoop subforum a little bit further down the list. Would be better to start scoop specific threads there, makes them easier to find later. 

Edited by bob4 - 13 February 2024 at 10:54am
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2024 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by DonCarlson DonCarlson wrote:

Thank you guys.
@Xoc1 Yes, I have now realised that reflex bins would probably be the better choice for my project. However, I'm looking for a compromise and think that scoops might be enough.
Dimensions could be a maximum of 0.8 m x 0.45 m x 0.6 m = 0.216 m³
Given those dimensions I would think that a pair of 18" reflex cabs 200litres would give you the bass frequencies you want.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2024 at 5:25pm
Beyma 12LEX1300 will kill in a compact scoop.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
DonCarlson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonCarlson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2024 at 5:52pm
@full speed: thanks again! Your subs, kicks and your kick tops are really exactly what I have in mind. The absorber material only goes on the opposite side of the driver of the scoop right? Aritherm doesn't mean anything to me.
Have you taken measurements of the scoop or the whole setup? I've heard different opinions about the Eminence 12" scoop.
Would you share your plans with me?
@bob4: I have questions about the whole setup and not just the scoops. The title of the subforum is unfortunately inappropriate, sorry for that. Can you change it or move the whole subforum?
@Xoc1: Yeah but I don't like the design of the reflex bins. I'll have to think about it again.
@MarjanM: they look really good but also ultra expensive...

Edited by DonCarlson - 13 February 2024 at 5:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply