Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mixer as pre amp using only 1 crossover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LikkleBat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mixer as pre amp using only 1 crossover
    Posted: 13 January 2020 at 3:03pm
Hello,  

I recently got a Behringer xenyx 2442fx mixer and I can either use it or sell it. But I am thinking to use it to try something. I want to use it as pre amp. 
I figured out I can connect my turntable to my crossover (4way) (using a headphone amplifier, so the option of also connecting a cd player remains), then I would run each output to a line in from the mixer and go from the direct out's to the amps. 
This way I can operate the gain of each frequencyband with the faders of the mixer. Each channel also has a mute, this way it can operate as a 'kill'. 

This would work I guess. The only thing that remains is how to safely(!) connect a mic, delay, siren,... on this setup. Anyone got experience with this? I am not sure what to use for this to work. The aux sends and returns or would it be better to work with the subgroups (as this opens more options I think). Currently breaking my head on this. I can't try it yet, because I am missing some cables. 

Thanks in advance!  

JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 4:16pm
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 9:17pm
A headphone amp won’t give the required RIAA eq curve for vinyl so you’ll need to factor this into the mix.
blah blah blah blah blah......
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 9:25pm
Also sorry to say.. the direct outs will not be affected by the channel faders..  bit more working out required.. sometimes the best way to start is to draw a simple diagram of what you want to achieve.. good luck

Reverence Sound system

LikkleBat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LikkleBat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 11:54pm
Ik tested this with a Mic and the faders do affect the direct outs. 
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 11:49am
Read the manual, and have a good look at the block diagram of your mixer until you understand it. For the turntable you need a standalone RIAA preamp.
 Post Reply Post Reply