Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mixing subwoofers and kicks between 60-120hz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matty309 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mixing subwoofers and kicks between 60-120hz
    Posted: 20 June 2022 at 8:33pm
I've seen it done before for a small sealed enclosure and a subwoofer. Instead of having the crossover at a set frequency, you cross the fullrange speaker down at lets say 70hz and the subwoofers runs up to 100hz. You need to measure he phase to do this but it can work.

I'm wondering if it can be used to run ported subwoofers up to 100-250 Hz Hz whilst the tops go down to 70hz or something.

This is because ported subwoofers have a very good bandwidth and play very flat up to 200hz most the time and at very high SPL and when I run my ported subs with my kicks (built into the tops) run out of steam way before the subs but the mid hi doesn't need to be louder, just the kick does.

I'm just trying get the most from the system

Anyone tried this ?

Edited by Matty309 - 20 June 2022 at 9:07pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 10:37pm
Overlapping frequencies can be done with different reflex cabinets that are tuned close in terms of frequencies. The degree of phase shift is highest at the cabinet's tuned frequency. Providing you do not roll-off the cabinet below the cabinet's tuning frequency in which, you are using for your low-midrange/kicks, the slight phase issue will not be audible for the human ear to detect. I've used this principal since the 1990's. 

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply