Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modded X15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modded X15
    Posted: 15 May 2013 at 3:45pm
Hi!

I'm new here and I'm planning to build 2 mid-tops. They would be modded X15, since my budget is close to nothing. I want to use Pa 15BM300B mids and D450 tops. The planning was going very well when a problem appeared.

Since the X15 has a trapezoid shape, the port's sides aren't parallel to each other. Becuse of that the cross-sectional area is different at the start and end of the port.

How should I calculate with the port's cross-sectional area (average, start, end)?
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 10:10am
Average, AFAIK.
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 10:23am
Draw it out to scale then measure it. I would use a cad program as it is easiest for me but a scale drawing on paper (newspaper?) is just as good.
Baron Greenback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baron Greenback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 7:55am
Hi, just a thought... If you have the driver, have the Small parameters and have a copy of windows on a PC, why dont you get a copy of bass box pro (BBP), and model yourself a reflex cabinet.  I did it with excellent results and no previous experience of enclosure design! It really was not too hard, took some thinking about and some basic maths, but nothing too challenging, give it a go matey, design your own box for your speakers needs.  To model the actual cab I used sketchup and still do, it is really easy to use and best of all... it is free!

Edited by Baron Greenback - 22 May 2013 at 7:56am
The doctor recons I'm paranoid... well he didn't say it exactly, but I just knew the bastard was thinking it!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 12:55pm
The port is also against 3 sides of the cab so the actual tuning will not come out the same as the simulation.

To be honest, the safest thing is to leave it the same as the original X15.  If you end up running with subs underneath it's a lot less critical anyway.

Incidentally the X15 is a particularly large cab for a mid-top, you can probably make it quite a bit more compact.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baron Greenback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 11:01pm
I used the size of the baffle to dictate the face area of the cab (HxW) allowing about 5mm between the horn  (Faital Pro LTH 103) and driver (PDN.15BR40) and 3mm clearance around the horn and driver for grille baton clearance which was at a width of 18mm. I found that I had enough room either side of the horn for the vents and as such have a very compact 15" and later made a 12" cab using the same horn and a PDN.12MH25, if you want the sketchup plans I will be happy to send them your way.  PS. The 12" cab in my opinion is a better cab for mid tops, 15" cabs are more of a full range jobbie and it shows, we use ours for monitor use these days as they just do not cut the mustard next to the 12's for HiFi sound. What sort of subs are you running?

Edited by Baron Greenback - 22 May 2013 at 11:04pm
The doctor recons I'm paranoid... well he didn't say it exactly, but I just knew the bastard was thinking it!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 11:22pm
+1 on 12" mid-tops, especially with 1" compression drivers.

15"+1" tends to leave a hole in the middle, you really need a 1.4" or 2" compression driver to make them meet nicely.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baron Greenback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 6:21am
I would definitely agree, despite our comps being BMS 4550's being capable of 800Hz especially with the long horn (it is possible for a 1" and 15" driver to marry up reasonably well), it does take a lot more messing with the EQ to get it sounding good.  In my experience this is not very ideal hence the recommendation for a 12" driver.  Also 12's are cheaper so you will be able to get a better drive unit for your money and they are obviously more compact and lighter Smile.

Edited by Baron Greenback - 23 May 2013 at 6:22am
alovan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 9:37am
Thank you guys for your help! I think I've done a mistake with the topic's title. To come clean, it's a really similar cab to x15... I designed it on my own, just used the x15 as a start point. Designed with Google SketchUp, Wind ISD, Hornresp and BBP.

I'll try to explain it. I've got problems with the port's design only. There are 2 options: a - circular ports, b - rctangular ports. I want to use trapezoidal ports (like x15), but I don't know how to calculate it becuse of the rectangular shape of the box and the base panel (the base of the ports also) of the box --> the effective length is longer, the areas are different at the start of the port and the end of the port.

DMorison said, I should calculate with the avrg cross-sectional area. Any other opinion?

So, drivers... I'll use 1.4" comp or 12" + 1" as you said. Space does not matter (only 1 crtitera - 1ply sheet/cab).

Edited by alovan - 23 May 2013 at 1:02pm
alovan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 12:41pm
I've just missed Baron Greenback's post. For me it's a serious point to get out the deepest end from the box since I have a self designed W-bin for bass (actually it has a wide range of frequency response but with it's 40w rms and a maximum output of ~105dB.... WEAK).
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by alovan alovan wrote:

DMorison said, I should calculate with the avrg cross-sectional area. Any other opinion?

That should give you a decent starting point, you may still need to build a prototype and check it before you get 100% what you want.

One other thing to remember is that this kind of port will behave as if it's longer than the apparent length of the shelf (130mm in the case of the original X15). This is because 3 out of the 4 sides of the vent continue unobstructed past this point, so some of the air in the port is induced to keep moving more than it would of the end of the port were in free air.
A rough rule of thumb is to assume it'll be 1/2 of the port height longer than the end of the shelf (ie an extra 30mm for X15), which in turn means that it will be narrower still by that point, so remember to factor that in when calculating the average width as well.

HTH,
David.
alovan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 1:19pm
Thanks David! That's what I was looking for. This rule also true if I'm calculating the port's inner segment (the end which is inside the box)?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>