Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modified A Driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 7:55am
"
What's the mass corner?
The mass corner is twice the efficiency bandwidth product. Strictly speaking it determines the point at which the high frequency response of a horn driver starts to roll off at 6dB/oct into the horn throat. Above this frequency the driver is said to be in its mass controlled region. Below this frequency it's said to be in its velocity controlled region. Fig.6 in the reference cited shows the grapic releationship in a horn, and also the relavent equations.

Fig.5 shows three drivers about 93dB/97.5dB/102dB all in the same 10 cu ft sealed box. The curve shows that the drivers are all roughly the same output below the mass corner (for 1W in). Since the lower the efficiency the driver is, the longer the coil will be, the lowest efficiency driver will have the highest x-max limited output in the bottom octave.

For the highest output bass, it is not a good idea to use a driver with a higher mass corner than your crossover point.

Drivers for cone driven midrange horns generaly need the highest mass corner possible, and the lowest Le.
djk
Wayne Parham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Parham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 12:44pm

"What's a tapped horn?"

Tom Danley gave the name "tapped horn" to a tapered pipe that is loaded some distance down the line.  Driver offset is used to manipulate standing wave modes above the first 1/4λ, to reduce the peaks and notches from higher pipe modes.  This helps smooth the response of an undersized basshorn.

If you really want to understand a loudspeaker system like this, see the work of Martin King at Quarter-Wave.com.  He has explored this kind of system in detail, and has models that accurately predict response based on driver parameters, driver/mouth position, length and taper.

mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 1:10pm
@djk: THanks for your reply, but what reference are you speaking of?

Wkr Johan
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by NeverWinter NeverWinter wrote:

@Opus Jody - if i'm not mistaken, yes you are sending more amps resulting in higher SPL, but think of it this way...

say your 8ohm driver is already supplied it's RMS or lets say it's in it's safe 25% over RMS rated power *a little rule i follow my self*... no you're replacing thatt 8ohm VC with a 4ohm. now you are ofcourse ABLE to send much more current to the driver. but did you ever think about the fact that maybe some of that extra SPL is actualy harmonic distortions from too much power? or that maybe it could be distorted bass that is being dificult to detect?

not saying that what you are doing is wrong, but the "increase of SPL" could be something along those lines.

i've read that harmonic distortion can actualy make specific playable ranges seem louder to the human ear when it's really no diffrence from before. also on my own ears dealing with dual VC drivers, the diffrent ohm loads do help with SPL but alot of the time it's distortion escaping the human ear.

i'm also being extremely technical though too, if it even "seems" louder then what it really is, kudos! means the people there enjoying them selfs get a louder feel

The particuar examples i was thinking of were 1/ a double 24" reflex with2 x 1000w 8 ohm cones we tried, running off 2 x 2000w channels (2000 into2 ohms) where with one channel/cone would only give 500/600w into the 8 ohm loads, where as with 2 x 4 ohm loads, the amps could give 1000w into the 1000w, 4 ohm drivers, AND you're bang on the money with your 25% rule, so we 'relaxed' the limiters (built into the amps) a bit for a bit more output voltage.
the other was 2 x single 15" 750w PD drivers, running off a single 2000w/ 2 ohms channel, so each 4 ohm cone gets 1000 odd watts. bit naughty, but PD are (as it has been mentioned before) fairly conservative with their ratings.

I know well the 'perceived volume increase' of distortion, but more from not having enough of it. ie. drum & bassers (for example) saying 'its not loud enough' when db's are 130+ db , but not 'sounding' loud (ie not distorted).  a  5 k mackie fusion rig 'sounds' louder than mine, but i don't think it is

each 4 ohm single 15 was as loud (almost) as a double 15 with 8 ohm cones, and sounded cleaner and tighter, probably because of having no other source to comb filter with, as in the 2 coned 215. comb filtering of multiple drivers is in itself a sort of distortion avoided in mid top frequencies by arraying, but actually quite nice in bass frequencies. dance floors seem to like the added 'chunk' of non arrayed bass, i'm sure you'll agree!

4 ohm cones must surely be advantageous in horn loaded systems (not that i've had that much experience of horns), where a single cone can do a whole freq range on its own, eg 2000 w (into4) amp  channel driving a 4 ohm ciare12 into a bass horn
, or a 500w (into 4) ampchannel driving a 4 ohm 400w mid cone etc.

4 ohm cones may be a better option than bridging amps, with the same sort of  results? thoughts?
Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 7:18pm
i've just had my first experience of 4 ohm cones, being a pair of ciare 12.00sw bunged into a wicked one for the weekend. normally we power two dual 8 ohm driver wicked ones off of the ram bu-2000, which is 1000 watts per channel into 4 ohms. with the same amount of power going into the single box (one driver per channel) the dual 4 ohm cab utterly rinses the previous pair of boxes.

on paper this should not be happening...

the ciares are 5dB less efficient than the beymas (easy to relate to the comparatively heavy construction of the 12.00sw motor and suspension), add to that you're talking about half the cabinet gain and half the driver surface area. however the amp channel seems to control a single cone so much more precisely than two (seems fair, plus it's a high damping factor amp, >800) and i don't know how, but you just seem to get more out of it...

add to that the convenience factor (?) that a lost channel doesn't stop a cab from operating completely, counter with the fact that you need twice as many, albeit lower powered amps.

on the subject of horns, i bought the 4 ohm ciares specifically because i can't see myself being able to power punishers (if i ever give them a whirl) if they have 8 ohm cones in. consider that the impedence of the air load pushes an 8 ohm ciare loaded punisher up to an apparent 12 ohm amp load above horn cut-off frequency. you're supposed to be meeting out 1-2k per bin to make the most of them, clearly 4 ohm (6 including airload?) is going to be way easier to power.

james.
mardy hippy.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 9:59pm
 "but what reference are you speaking of? "

Load this page and store it:

Look at fig.5

djk
turbodeas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbodeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 10:09pm
OK, goin O/T again, but thanks guys for the info about the tapped horn, really cleared things up!

blue skies,

chris.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12