Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More copy cats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 10:57pm

There must be atleast, oh I dunno, seven differences.

a1olsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1olsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2009 at 2:36am
Hi Rog and all,
the HD15 is quite different inside to the Turbosound TSE115 not to mention flarerate. The original Turbo Design even employed a 'broken'/sectioned flare as supposed to the nice rounded design of the HD15.
Kind regards
a1olsen

a1olsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1olsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2009 at 12:19pm
Hi Roger,
no worries - the HD15 Design is quite different to the original Turbo Bass patented principle.
If in doubt then it should be possible to look up the patent (which is quite wide and covering, by the by) on the patent office.org? site somewhere. I remember a drawing where the flare is basically composed of 2 at an angle joined pieces around the baffle.
The very original Bass concept from Tony and John, before it became a more commercial entity as TurboSound, with the help of Alan Wick, was the Pyramid bin, which I think saw it's 1st outing at the start of the Glastonbury festival and of course contemporary with the pyramid stage... Tony is a very spirited person as can possibly be be comprehended...
The TurboBass principle came around later after a lot of experimentation. I think there's an AES paper describing some of the Turbo inheritance/history and in there is sketched out some of the various phases they went through, before arriving at their Patent application. The patent is no longer vigorously protected and is well outside it's exclusivity stage, but they did, in the early days, use to go around with a chainsaw and court order! I think it happened to some of the 1st EAW boxes under much publicity of course and as far as I remember, but I also think that due to a violation of the TurboMid patent as well...
That TurboMid Patent actually belongs to/was applied by Tim Issacs and was supposedly inspired by a rolling pin on Tim's kitchen table during a meeting with Tony... Same state and current efforts (or lack of) goes for this patent as well.
Hope this info to be more or less accurate with the best regards

Former Senior TurboSound R&D Engineer, roughly 1992-5
Sven R. Olsen (aka 'Dr' O aka a1olsen aka a1greatdane etc.)

PS: UPS - just discovered I seem to repeat myself a bit from the previous post...
Still with best good hearted intentions though...

Edited by a1olsen - 26 October 2009 at 12:33pm
dj-panoramix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj-panoramix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2009 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by a1olsen a1olsen wrote:

The TurboBass principle came around later after a lot of experimentation. I think there's an AES paper describing some of the Turbo inheritance/history and in there is sketched out some of the various phases they went through, before arriving at their Patent application.  

do you have a link pleaz ?

a1olsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1olsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 1:29am
Hi dj-panoramix,
I'm afraid I have no direct link, but you should be able to find it at the AES website somewhere in their anthology collections of old papers. This might cost a fee however, that's how the 'poor' AES organization try to finance some of their activities U C... I shall 'have a dig in my extended hard-copy archive and C, if I have something there, but pls. do not expect this to happen like lightning.. I think I might have to find some alpine and other protective gear ..

Regards
a1greatdane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj-panoramix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 12:16pm
ok i found only 2 paper on aes library, one on the flash system and the other one is "A Short History of the Experience and Reasoning Behind the Turbosound Cluster System", but as you said you have to pay to see them... Cry
a1olsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1olsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 1:59pm
Dear dj-panoramix,
it's the cluster one U want...
'Dr' O

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj-panoramix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 4:36pm

need an aes account or pay 20 dollars... Cry

anybody have an account there ?
musicman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 8:40am
there is even more copys on ebay, from a company called class d m15 i think there called or something!
a1olsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1olsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 10:16am
Hi musicman,
it's a bit of the good old saying: 'U R never gonna get ahead by using other people's footsteps'...
I try to make my offerings very difficult to match by Hand brewing the transducers matched to the box and thereby performance, meaning (almost as best as possible), anything else will necessary be of a lesser entity...
It's after all a bit limited how much You can vary the parameters for a given say bass bin concept.
I'm quite confident Rog applies the same principle(s) and so to most other competent designers.
I'm personally not that concerned about the copiers any more, since I know the above applies and try to take it as a compliment, but it would be nicely appreciated, if 'people' at least cared to ask not to mention arranging a possible potential licence fee, before copying. With a licence they would most certainly be able to get a better product out as well and the fee's is not 'gonna kill anybody'...

Cheers

'Dr' O aka Sven R. Olsen
Creator
CSW-Chilli Sound Works
London N4

Edited by a1olsen - 30 October 2009 at 10:19am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12