Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More Punishers or Swap to SBH?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Punishers or Swap to SBH?
    Posted: 11 December 2016 at 10:56am
Hi Speaker Planners

Looking for some opinions on Punisher VS SBH. What would YOU do and why?

We have 8 punishers and 2 xtros (soon to be 4). The next upgrade after we hit 4 xtros will be either another 4 punishers or swapping the 8 punishers we have for 8 SBH. 

Keeping in mind we live in Perth, Australia ... The land of expensive birch and shipping drivers from half way around the world; we can build a punisher for about ~$1k. This includes things like saw blades, Routing heads, Screws, Glue, Warnex, Speakons, Wiring, Drivers, Wood. A V18-1000 Loaded SBH costs about the same amount for us. 

In order to power the extra 4 punishers we will need another PL380 which is about $4000 in Aus. 

So Total for extra 4 punishers is ~8k including amp. 
Total for 8 sbh is ~8k Not needing a new amp. 

If we go the SBH rout we would aim to build 12 in total and 6 xtros which I think would be an amazing system. If we go the punishers I feel like it wont scale well past 12 punishers and 4 xtros. The stacks would be really tall.

We do Disco, House, Tech, Dubstep, Bass Music... Pretty much anything dance music.

What would you do? What do you think?

Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2016 at 11:12am
id be tempted to go lab 18 tbh or sbh/invader
go alot lower than the punisher too but dont scale down to small stacks so well so swings and roundabouts lol
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2016 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Mark James Mark James wrote:

id be tempted to go lab 18 tbh or sbh/invader
go alot lower than the punisher too but dont scale down to small stacks so well so swings and roundabouts lol

By Lab18 Do you mean lab horn? The issue with that is they require 2x6 ohm drivers. I will need more amps to power them so it will not be cost effective. 

Also this reminds me, They need to work at least okish with 2 a side because we do smaller shows (125-200 people) some times. 

Two punishers a side works okish. Definitely doesn't sound as smooth or go as low as 4 but it works ok for smaller shows. 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2016 at 11:24am
nope lab 18 by amano, same folding shape as the lab horn but uses an 18 instead
not sure how well the sbh works with 2 in a stack or any of the other cabs not tried it
meat grinder might be another option but its a double 18 but would work in 2s [according to sims posted ages ago] errrr just other suggestions tbh
wsx also perhaps but again not sure how well they go in 2s
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2016 at 11:26am
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2016 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Mark James Mark James wrote:

http://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=79016&KW=based+on&title=new-sub-horn-based-on-another-design
slightly modified lab18 build

Looks interesting but I would rather build something a bit more tried an tested. A lot of people have built the SBH and the feedback seems really positive. The Lab 18 looks like a bit more a dice roll to me. Id hate to build them then find out they eat drivers for example. Took a while for people to work out that was the case for the invader. 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2016 at 12:37pm
true, looks like sbh then
was a bit of a gamble building that one tbh need to build some more at a latter date when funds allow then find out for sure how they fare long term i gaues lol
not sure what punishers are like in larger stacks most iv heard was 12 and wasnt realy being pushed that hard so cant say i f they are or are not what your after in 16+stacks lol
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2016 at 6:17pm
Xtro is supposed to be an 80 degree box. You can't do three per side without serious comb filtering, even two is a push.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2016 at 7:12pm
You could put one upside down on top of the other one... easy lift and really safe for the front row ravers
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2016 at 11:57pm
Then why is the horn flare for the comp 60x40? 

Edit: After some research, I confirmed what I already thought, Its designed as a 60x40 box. I know from using it that there is no way its got 80 degrees of dispersion.  Two a side should be no problem.

I would need to experiment with it but my best guess for the splay angle would be 50 degrees so that would be 110 degrees dispersion with two boxes. 

I don't think i'm alone in thinking you can array 3x XT8 horns ... http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii196/csgal14tp/bigbang20092003.jpg

Edited by citizensc - 12 December 2016 at 9:58am
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 1:42pm
Any other thoughts on this? It really comes down to 12x punishers vs 8 SBH. What would you have and why?

Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2016 at 1:49pm
8 x SBH would be larger and drop lower, i recon the punishers would give similar spl down to about 45Hz though.  
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>