Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motion triggered audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motion triggered audio
    Posted: 05 September 2017 at 4:17pm
Hive mind...

I have been asked to do a Halloween show with audio samples triggered as people move around between different rooms.

I see some Pir based audio devices for folk with dementia available on eBay but they Look pretty plastic anyone have any clues ?

Thanks
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2017 at 4:24pm
Few ways we've done it before...

Arduino / Raspberry Pi control
Crestron control

You could also use a Qsys system which handles playback on board and the GPIO to fire off tracks.

4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2017 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Few ways we've done it before...

Arduino / Raspberry Pi control
Crestron control

You could also use a Qsys system which handles playback on board and the GPIO to fire off tracks.

I have been intrigued by this Arduino Raspberry pi business but not found time to get acquainted.

How would that work ?

Edited by 4D - 05 September 2017 at 7:59pm
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2017 at 6:22am
Think of it as a tiny computer, but with a bunch of GPIO pins that are a handy way to get switch contacts, PIR sensors etc to operate scripts you've written on it.
So if something happens, i.e. A switch has been flicked, or a beam has been broken, play an audio track off the SD card.
Because of its nature, people have developed all sorts of daughterboards to do DMX control etc - some of it is pretty basic but can be used as an inexpensive show control toy.
We've used them for loads of things, video playback when a switch is pressed for safety briefing in a trampoline park, or like the service call im off to this morning, effects control for an adventure golf course. (Hit the ball down the tube, when it passes a sensor it triggers a few DMX lights, plays some sound effects and fires off an IP rated smoke machine on a relay board).
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2017 at 9:45am
To give another example I used a GPIO pin on a Pi to count a pulse train via a relay from an old american wallbox. Once it decoded the pulse train it then sent a remote command to a lightweight music player also installed on the Pi that played the relevant track.

The Pi is just a tiny linux PC with GPIO (General Purpose Input Output) pins available to the user. You can access them via many langauges such as C or Python, or there are higher level programming libraries available which hide a lot of the programming gore when your timing requirements are less severe. E.g. milli-second required instead of micro-second response.

The main advantage of a Pi is that without any extra effort you have available a HDMI port for audio and video output, plus all the advantages of a high level OS such as media player software being readily available.

The disadvantage is that you will have to get your hands dirty to some extent soldering, installing your Pi software, and writing scripts. Probably there is a lot of published code out there that you could make small alterations to and re-use to save time and headaches.

I'm potentially up for such jobs, if there is a budget in it then feel free to PM me in future. Don't think I have any time before this Halloween though unfortunately.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2017 at 9:47am
Id-Al do a range of players from flash cards, with triggers for playback. http://www.id-al.com/home2/en/products/audio-players

Short between Gnd and P1 and Folder 1 plays. Short between Gnd + P2, Folder 2, Gnd+ P2+P1 - Folder 3, i.e. binary to 16.

Equally you can leave a text file in the root of the card, which tells it what to do, i.e. on power up, go to folder XXX and play all tracks once...etc

Used them to do background music at bus stations, and apart from the occasional card failure or wall wart PSU (typically around 8 yrs of 24/7/365, so I will let them off!), no Id-Al box failures.

They also do units which co trigger DMX, so on your card you store your DMX commands, which you trigger from the same cues as the sound. Look at the "event player".
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2017 at 10:15am
How about a laser pen and photo diode for a makeshift laser motion detector.
Racks&Stacks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2017 at 11:57am
Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

PIR sensors are far cheaper andmore forgiving in terms of setup.  I picked up 5 for 8€ on amazon
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2017 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Racks&Stacks Racks&Stacks wrote:

PIR sensors are far cheaper andmore forgiving in terms of setup.  I picked up 5 for 8€ on amazon

I wouldn't say so.. Pen £2, diode 10p, 5v adapter carboot £1. Arduino optocoupler £2.

Laser is a more accurate trigger for doors.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2017 at 2:05pm

Originally posted by Racks&Stacks Racks&Stacks wrote:

I wouldn't say so.. Pen £2, diode 10p, 5v adapter carboot £1. Arduino optocoupler £2.

Laser is a more accurate trigger for doors.

...bit of duct tape would narrow down the trigger area (?)
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2017 at 2:22pm
Could get really basic with it. use lazer/diode with a relay module to switch on an mp3 doorbell lol

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 06 September 2017 at 2:23pm
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2017 at 2:22pm

Gee thanks for the information and offers of help.  Most appreciated..

Its like learning a new language I think I must be getting old I am sure back in the seventies when I had my BBC model b all this stuff seemed simple.  

The Arduino option seems the more affordable. I am not to keen on spending a chunk of the budget on hardware just to do the one show, (my shed is crowded with stuff that has just about paid for itself then rarely goes out again) 

Anyway thanks for the tips keep em coming

Will do more research

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>