Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mt102 above jbl4530

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mt102 above jbl4530
    Posted: 01 March 2015 at 7:03pm
Has anybody got any experience running the mid section of the mt102 above a single jbl 4530 scoop loaded with original drivers? I intend to run the scoops up to 200 And smooth out the dip at 150 with load of eq. Or has the mt102 enough headroom to cross them lower? Plan is to run a woorden tractix horn with a 2" das above them.

Edited by Bams - 01 March 2015 at 7:04pm
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2015 at 7:31pm
  I used to run my MT102s down to 150hz and they sounded great, they were loaded with Fane Sovereign 10-300s.
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2015 at 11:00am
MT102's will run down to 150 Hz, maybe not really hornloaded anymore, but still making good SPL if the 10" speakers are up to the task (read : they have a little more than 1-2 mm Xmax capability).

On the other hand, you can't EQ this typical dip in respons with scoops. It comes from different path lengths between waves coming of the speaker and those coming through the horn. Whatever you EQ in or out, will result in this same difference, hence the same dip. Everything you put extra into it, will be counteracted with the same amount. In my experience this dip is not as bad as it seems on paper.
I tried many things with scoops over the years, but what usually worked out best, is a 6dB/oct LP filter to keep the mids out of the 15" and not drop the respons too much and too fast where this "dip" sits. By sliding a bit with the LP frequency, you can also smooth out this little bump in respons just before this dip if that sounds best to your liking or for the use they will see. This bump/dip is what makes the scoops sound the way they do and while I'm not fond of this behaviour for live work, I understand the appeal fo certain styles of music and still have 'em run like that in many clubs I installed over the years ... well that's up to 30 years by now LOL
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2015 at 9:09pm
thanx for this information. never looked in depth to this issue but makes perfectly sense. Now i also get it why "in the air tonight"sounded so special on our gauss loaded JBL 4520's :)

Looks like the 4530 and mt102 will make a great match, now i have to start looking for some affordable 10"s
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2015 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Bams Bams wrote:

... now i have to start looking for some affordable 10"s

Have a look at Beyma SM110/N. It's a speaker that sounds real good to 1kHz-1k5, that can be used below 100 Hz if needed and does not cost a great deal of money.
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 9:07pm
I found out my woodworking skills are less up to scratch as imagined. 
Can anybody tell me what happens if i ignore the horizontal slopes? I've seen this done in a few builds. can imagine the dispersion becomes narrower in the horizontal plane, but does it also creates standing waves or such which cause rattling and so on? 

at the moment the mt's are going to be the single 10" version loaded with JB systems drivers. no specs to be found but they fit into the no-budget build. trying to get this rig on the road for less than 400 euro and am good on the way. after finishing the build i can start upgrading. 

Edited by Bams - 12 May 2015 at 9:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply