Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MT121 BUILDS IN BERMUDA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MT121 BUILDS IN BERMUDA
    Posted: 20 February 2009 at 9:43pm
Building a nice size Hi-fi in Bermuda......
Going with (6) MT 121 boxes to start off......

using:

Beyma 12ml100 12"woofer

Beyma cp750nd 2" compression driver

D&S CFD 2-90A Pro horn

4 CTS peizo tweeters on a beyma f102 8khz passive x-over in box

Below these will be peavey sp118's for midbass

and Hogs for subs.

Will post up pics soon on the MT 121 progress.....
I am using 3/4" white Birch ply, wondering about the resonance issues i've heard of and whether they need some padding in the spaces?
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2009 at 8:01am
HIFI?
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2009 at 11:47am
Forget the Piezos and the Peaveys as they will just set you back in time 30 years---use HD15s on kick and no need for any tweeters as the new Beyma neo HF drivers really go up high and sweet--along with the Hogs you would then have a very nice balanced system.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2009 at 12:01pm
+1
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
magixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2009 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

HIFI?
Sorry mate, I'm from the old school......back in the day, any "reggae" sound system, whether it was 1 steel horn and a woofer in your back yard.....to a 5 stack monster system playing in a stadium, it was crowned a "hi-fi".......(Saxon hifi, Unity hifi, Stonelove hifi, GT hifi,Coxsone hifi....get the drift?)

I see that Jah Tubbys and alot of sound in JA (StoneLove, Swatch, Metro-Media, Travellers, Rennaissance, etc., etc) still have peizo arrays. With my experience with them, they sound good when playing a bunch of them x-overed high to capture the hi's that may be missed by the horns(then again, they probably dont have these hot beyma drivers either).
You guys seem to be the pros around here so I will heed your advice and maybe make separate tweeter boxes, or omit them if they arent making a difference or degrading the hi-end quality.
I will be using a Jah Tubbys pre-amp(which some may say will also be a step back in time), for the fact that I currently have a 3way pre amp from JTS, and the few times that I used it, it works miracles on some of the simplest and/or crappiest speaker and amp set-ups.
A few times I have taken it to a club, and wired their house system into it, and all nite patrons are coming to me wondering why the sound is "kicking" so much more lively rather than how it normally sounds. With that, i conclude that it is really how you tune and balance these per-say "antiquated" components such as pre-amps and they will match any LSM setup or fancy new active x-over systems.

I am in the process of having a 4 way jah tubbys pre-amp made, with a bit of extra customization. the x-over points for the mid-bass is set at 75hz-350hz. The peavey sp118's are rated a range of 45-300hz, I am wondering if using these will have any negative affect as I have had good past experiences with a direct radiator midbass, Though I am looking at the suggestions for the HD15......
I also like the versatility of having them(sp118's) in my rig.
For real small gigs i can simply rollout an Mt121 and a single 18 and run it 3-way with 2 sections if needed,

Thanks for the help guys.......as I am doing all of this for a hobby, i have been a dj/selector for 23 years and have had 3 sound systems  before, so this time round I want to play with some customization, instead of everything bought out of a shop front Confused
magixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 5:00pm
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp134/magixx123/IMG00061-20090302-1902.jpg

First one built.......going to do all the cuts for the next 5

jonny4288 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonny4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 11:45pm
got any more build pics?

good job :)
magixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 4:32am
Decided to scrap the sp118's and the peizos.
 I have been looking at some 2x15" directs that look pleasing.
I am looking for a box to to capture midbass fr 75hz to 350hz. So the HD15s are out of the question.
are there any plans out there for a box like this? (2x15" direct radiator)

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 5:18am
"Sorry mate, I'm from the old school......back in the day, any "reggae" sound system"

so am i lol

very nice build maggixx, workshop looks very good also

magixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2009 at 9:00am
)
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

"Sorry mate, I'm from the old school......back in the day, any "reggae" sound system"

so am i lol

very nice build maggixx, workshop looks very good also

Bless Mykey,
Upon further inspection of the detail and knowledge depths that u guys are working with on here "hi-fi" isnt the term to be used yet lol(especially the way some chew out the JTS pre-amps on some posts Ouch)
You guys  know your stuff for real.......in the game long time

Here are some more pics, I am getting six MT 121s made at once.......

Greg AKA "Killa"...my official carpenter extraordinaire!

Computerized cutting lathe...State of the art...This is by far one of the best carpentry shops on the island....

a next machine used.......

after this.....hog scoops on the planner.

i am still trying to finalize some good mid bas boxes.
I  need to play JTS 4way pre amp midbass range of 75hz - 350hz.

may be looking at some 2x15" bass reflex boxes still.......

more pics to come.....

magixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2009 at 8:19pm

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE!!!!!
JUST GOT THE AMPCASE ALL TOGETHER.......more pics coming
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2009 at 11:33pm
Great looking set :) I see JTS is sticking with Jack sockets on the preamp still, ever seen one with XLR's on it? Plenty of space on that rear panel. XLRS fall out less often and are sealed to let less dust/sand/beer in....isn't Bermuda mostly beach :)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>