Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple amps in same freq band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by demanddeepbass demanddeepbass wrote:

Can you imagine what would happen when Johnny guitarist plugs the speaker output of his 3000watt guitar head into your lovely Midas mixer?

Don't need to imagine unfortunately.. been there :(  Was an A&H, no midas, 300w not 3000, but the noise was not nice.
Hugo Biermann View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by jethrocker jethrocker wrote:

Can you imagine what would happen when Johnny guitarist plugs the speaker output of his 3000watt guitar head into your lovely Midas mixer?

Don't need to imagine unfortunately.. been there :(  Was an A&H, no midas, 300w not 3000, but the noise was not nice.

Saw an Ampeg SVT-1000 eat up a Berringer 16Ch like that.ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
QSS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 2:52pm
Thanks guys for all the useful info. I'm a new member and had this problem linking my two PSL KA2400's and losing signal on the second amp. Now I think I'll be able to sort it out.

THANX THANX THANX!!!
"Music is life"
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 3:09pm

The Jack Plug is one of the most misused connectors going. They get used for unbalanced stereo signals, unbalanced mono connections, balanced mono connections, headphones, loudspeaker connections, insert points and occasionally even power connections. All of which causes huge amounts of confusion. Can you imagine what would happen when Johnny guitarist plugs the speaker output of his 3000watt guitar head into your lovely Midas mixer? It's probably similar to what happens when you swear at him pull the plug out and drop it on the metal stage when it shorts, gives him a shock and blows up his amp.
The point is you are never quite sure what is on the end of a jack cable unless you can find the other end which sucks. The same used to be true of XLRs to a lesser extent till the speakon came along. Thankfully XLRs on speakers are very rare now. (although 3 pin XLRs for DMX are much more common now (this is due to lazy lampies not bringing enough 5 pin cable to the gig and wanting to steal your mic cables for DMX))
Professionals should use balanced or unbalanced 1/4" jack plugs with line level signals on them. If its a patch panel it probably makes sense to use a B gauge jack. Putting unbalanced stereo down one cable just causes confusion. If you plug it into a mono balanced input the CMR amplifier will probably null most of the signal. One exception with 1/4" jacks (which is by convention and irritates me greatly!) is headphones. Another (which is an irritating desk manufacturers cost saving measure) is unbalanced insert points.
This is all perfectly clear in my little OCD world and should be in everyone elses!

/end rant.

Also jacks can short out when you plug them in Dead

Not great if theres power on it
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2009 at 1:19pm
If you have too much trouble linking the amps just make up some xlr Y split leads.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
cilla.scope View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 10:04pm

Another (which is an irritating desk manufacturers cost saving measure) is unbalanced insert points.

eeek ... moral of the story? Dont use mickey-mouse desks :)

last big desk I installed (which admittedly was a while ago now)  was an AMS 'gemini' digital thing with flying faders, no insert points to worry about, everything was done in the software ...  takes all the fun out of it if you don't get to wire jackfields up to Krone frames :(
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 10:10pm
Quote Another (which is an irritating desk manufacturers cost saving measure) is unbalanced insert points.

If its a single jack doing send and return, how would you get it balanced?  Or is there such a thing as TRRRS?  Or are you simply suggesting they should provide a TRS socket each for send and return?
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
demanddeepbass View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demanddeepbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 11:48pm
yep, balanced jack socket for send and return.
"These amps go up to 11"
cilla.scope View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 1:34am

yep, balanced jack socket for send and return.

seconded on that.

All decent outboard gear will be balanced in/out anyway :)  seperate balanced send and return is far more flexible, because you never know what you will want to send it to, and how you might want to loop it about before it comes back to the channel.

there is possibly an argument for unbalanced combined insert points on guitar amp heads, because you don't want to confuse guitarists with sockets labeled "send" and "return" .. they just stare at them and miss the first set.
topdiggy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topdiggy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 9:41pm
Guys -

Okay, going back to this amp linking thing...because i was looking at buying a speaker management system like the BBE DS26, found here http://www.bbesound.com/products/speaker-management/index.htm .

I have a Behringer EP2500 now, and am getting ready to purchase two EP4000 to run my subs, and i want to link the sub signal out of my crossover to the sub amps. The Behringer doesnt have a link plug, or does it?  The back of my amp looks like this...

So, if I understand you all correctly. To link any amp, I can take the cable from my crossover and plug it into input #1 on amp#1, and then run another cable from input#2 on amp#1 to input #1 amp#2? Is this correct?

Thanks
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2009 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by topdiggy2 topdiggy2 wrote:

So, if I understand you all correctly. To link any amp, I can take the cable from my crossover and plug it into input #1 on amp#1, and then run another cable from input#2 on amp#1 to input #1 amp#2? Is this correct?

No.

Input 1 and 2 are two separate channels on your amp and are not linked inside the box. Connecting your sub signal to input 1 will not make it appear at input 2 of the same amp.

You have two inputs per channel on the amp you linked to a picture of (1 XLR, 1 jack). They ARE linked inside the box.

What you need to do is (read carefully) take the cable from my crossover and plug it into input #1 on amp#1 (e.g. XLR socket). Run another cable from the second input#1 (e.g. jack socket) on amp#1 to input #1 amp#2 (XLR or jack, doesn't matter).

Et Voila.

colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2009 at 12:02pm
"my crossover" should read "your crossover" in my post above.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>