Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My first build: THAM12 - Advice on mid/top boxes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first build: THAM12 - Advice on mid/top boxes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skookumsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first build: THAM12 - Advice on mid/top boxes
    Posted: 14 February 2024 at 1:58pm
After over a year lurking around the forums, researching and trying to learn as much as I can, I decided to finally put saw to wood and build a speaker cabinet. My first attempt is this THAM12 subwoofer loaded with B&C 12PS100-8.

I learned a lot in the process, and I'm absolutely thrilled with the results! This little speaker sounds amazing, and I can't wait to start building some top speakers to compliment this sub.

My ultimate plan is to build a "full stack" 4-way roots-reggae style soundsystem (using scoop style subs)...but I've got a way to go before I'm ready to start that project- lots more to learn, and money to save.

In the meantime my plan is to build a "mini" soundsystem using this THAM12 subwoofer with a pair of 2-way mid/top boxes with the goal of having a small, portable PA capable of entertaining groups of 25-50 people. The whole thing will be battery powered using LiFePo cells and inverter(s), and installed on an electric cargo bike that I built a few years ago. I'm fairly confident in the battery power part of the project (and that's a discussion for another thread), the part I need help with is choosing the right mid/top speakers to use with this project.

The mid/top speakers need to be small-ish and capable of being crossed from somewhere around 120hz all the way up to 18-20khz. I think something like the Soundgear Orbit 4 would be a good option, but since they are sold commercially I don't think that detailed DIY plans are available. The only DIY plans that I've found that look promising are https://www.eighteen.it/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMjIvMDMvMDkvMTlfMDFfMTNfMTU1X0tJVDhfMldBWV92MS5wZGYiXV0 - these 8" 2-way boxes from Eighteen Sound. Since I've only built one speaker, I don't feel like I have enough experience to try and design my own cabinet- I don't know how to use the simulation software, and I don't really have the time to learn as I'd rather focus on the woodworking, signal processing and amplification parts of the project. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the Eighteen Sound design...or maybe can recommend other DIY plans that I could build to compliment the THAM12 sub(s)?

Thanks for the help and inspiration!

-Eric

Edited by skookumsound - 14 February 2024 at 9:12pm
skookumsound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skookumsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2024 at 2:12pm
Trying to figure out how to post larger images:
I also built the simple amp rack to keep things organized.

I didn't bother to cut the circles out of the internal braces because the weight savings was negligible and I had limited time to work on the project

Cheers!

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2024 at 10:01am
Looking good! Clap

About soundgear orbits: lovely little boxes, light, pack a punch and sound nice, only downside is narrow dispersion. Very good for the money!!! Mate has four of them, amazing for what they are! But probably not an option for you due to geography?

You'd probably do best with getting some second hand small pa mid highs to get going. For a more ambitious diy option you could look into MEH (multiple entry horn) designs, also referred to as "synergy". 
Loads of discussion and designs over at diyaudio.com. 
Often copied, the syntripP is popilar, but might be a bit too large for your purposes.

Edited by bob4 - 15 February 2024 at 10:08am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skookumsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2024 at 11:40pm
Thanks for the kind words Bob. I have a copy of the MEH plans and they look very impressive. I’ve also spent way more time than I should admit reading many of the SyntripP threads…and I’ve all but decided that I want to build some for my larger system-however they are a little too complex, big (and expensive) for this project. 

Multiple people have suggested that I consider the VBS 10.2 from MTG Designs:

https://www.mtg-designs.com/diy-speaker-plans/vbs-10-2 - https://www.mtg-designs.com/diy-speaker-plans/vbs-10-2

The components are easy to source here in the U.S. and it would be a relatively inexpensive option to build a pair to go with my THAM. I don’t have any experience building passive crossovers, and this would be a good project to learn how to do that. My only concern is that it looks a little more like a Hi-fi speaker than a PA speaker…but for my use case it would probably work just fine.

Main thing is I just want to continue building and learning and finishing a few more projects before I attempt the larger stuff like scoops or SyntripP’s. 

Cheers, 
Eric

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2024 at 7:36pm
You could also go for a small "line source box with multiple full range transducers (faital 3fe or 4fe or something similar) arranged vertically.

A forum member from the balkans did such a project. 

Would be very simple amd easy, perfect for a mini/compact application. 
red_tag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red_tag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2024 at 9:21pm
Martinssons FCAM123 works great! I have just built 2 of these for Tham15.

BarthF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarthF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2024 at 12:42pm
Hey !
Which mid/top enclosure design avec speakers did you choose for your project?
Thank you
Andry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2024 at 9:04pm
Hi, have you considered a pair of 2x8" or 1x10" coaxial setup ?
If yes, why have you discarded it?
Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skookumsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2024 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by red_tag red_tag wrote:

Martinssons FCAM123 works great! I have just built 2 of these for Tham15.

https://www.martinsson.cc/blog/index.php?m=01&y=17&entry=entry170116-132709 - https://www.martinsson.cc/blog/index.php?m=01&y=17&entry=entry170116-132709

I did see those on Martinsson's blog. I think they would be a great option for backyard or camping style events, but I'm looking for something a little smaller that might be easier to transport on my cargo bike. Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skookumsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2024 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by BarthF BarthF wrote:

Hey !
Which mid/top enclosure design avec speakers did you choose for your project?
Thank you

Unfortunately I have been very busy with work & family so I haven't had any chance to start building the mid tops yet. The parts for my Maslow 4 CNC machine came in the mail last week so I am very excited to get that all setup and working! My first project will most likely be some small speaker boxes...but it will probably be a month before I can get started due to the fact I have to leave town for three weeks of work.  

Right now I am planning on building either the VBS 6.2 or 10.2 from MTG Designs, or the 8-inch 2-way loudspeaker from 18Eighteen sound. I think all of these options would be relatively easy to build, and suit my needs well. The Eighteen sound drivers are a little more difficult to source here in the US for some reason, so I will most likely build the VBS design due to availability of sourcing the parts...and because I want to learn how to build my first passive crossover and MTG has plans (and PCBs) for that project as well.

Links to both designs are in my first post. When I finally get around to building speakers sometime around the end of April I'll post updates here. Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skookumsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2024 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Andry Andry wrote:

Hi, have you considered a pair of 2x8" or 1x10" coaxial setup ?
If yes, why have you discarded it?
Thanks!

I have considered the 12-inch coaxial plans from Eighteen Sound:

https://tinyurl.com/yyuscecm

The main reason that I choose to not use these plans is because the Eighteen Sound drivers are harder to source in the US, or cost extra to ship from Europe. Also, I don't think that I need 12-inch size for this project. Do you know of any coaxial plans that use 8-inch drivers?
 Post Reply Post Reply