Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first rig... progress thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

I swear I saw that or a very similar cab described as bass reflex, or if not it may have been published with a 100dB sensitivity spec which weighted against the clearly 'horny' style. Was thinking it may have been like an rcf esw1018.

The design style/layout could definitely be carried over to a reflex build if care was taken not to let the unusual baffle arrangement impact on the port behaviour (the top and bottom panels could be cut out with a V shape to let the port open directly to the front of the cab, like the hf section of a line array box ie)

EAW describe the SB1000 and all it's versions/derivatives as Vented boxes - the angled cavity the drivers sit in does give a bit of gain but mainly up higher than the crossover, and helps act as a massively flared vent, reducing the chance of extraneous noise from that.
gen0me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 2:34pm
But sb1000 has ports like normal br instead of those

Which is probably tapped horn with chamber.
DMorison View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

But sb1000 has ports like normal br instead of those

Which is probably tapped horn with chamber.

Could be, depends on the internal layout - it could still be mostly BR for the actual acoustic loading.
TW claim "Hybrid" which is really a meaningless term - it could be very like the EAW's in that the angled cavity just gives a little more gain at the high end of the response, all the way to being mostly tapped horn (or even dare I say it like two miniscoops mouth to mouth ;-) ). Absent an internal layout or an impedance trace, all we can do is speculate, which doesn't really help the OP.
Anyway, the point of putting it in the thread was just as a visual example of how one can create a more interesting appearance without making significant changes to the complexity of the modelling/build, which I think this still does.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic