Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nass Nins help required Pleaseeee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHASEDUB3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nass Nins help required Pleaseeee
    Posted: 10 November 2017 at 12:51am
Hi all hope you are well...

ok so I currently have  the following system...

x2 zx5 EV Tops and x2 Ev Phoenix Bins... I run x2 Crown XTI amp's one for bass bins and other for tops.

I am after some 18" or 15" Bass Bins now for smaller functions something half decent but still Good....
as the Phoenix are only going out to bigger gigs.

A friend has some loaded 15" cabs lying about and It is what I'm after in-terms of size and I was thinking of getting them and replacing the Drivers or what to do ???

Please could you advise me further on best Drivers...or even better if anyone could build me some? I am based in Derbyshire.

Thanks

Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 8:51am
What's a Nass Nin?

If you choose to refurbish the old bins with new drivers you'll be taking a shot in the dark unless you measure the internal dimensions of the box to calculate enclosure volume, along with the length and cross-sectional area of the port, and then simulate it in software like WinISD.

You could always chance it and drop in a good all-rounder driver suitable for bass reflex and you'll probably get a decent result, it just won't be optimal. I would recommend looking at some of the entry level 15" drivers from a decent brand like B&C, Eighteensound, Beyma or FaitalPro (for example).

So long as it's a good brand who don't really make low quality drivers, your best bet is just look for their cheapest 15" and go with that. It will almost always be a bass reflex all-rounder. Check the frequency extension on the spec sheet just to be sure it will play bass, and look for large amounts of xmax (8mm+ ideally).

You probably don't want to spend too much on anything special if you're just going to be refurbishing old bins. You'll need to adjust the mounting holes and you may even find you need to adjust the baffle cutout, so you should measure that against the spec sheet before buying any new drivers, just to be safe. 

What's wrong with the current drivers though? I've not heard of Turbomax unless it's got some connection with Royal Turbomax from RMJ Loudspeakers (a make of scoop drivers which got quite a bit of interest around here in the past), but generally speaking if a bin has a solid plywood build and a decent finish, quality cabinet hardware etc, the drivers used will be half decent, and may not even need replacing for your application. If '600w rms' is a realistic claim then it may be alright.

Edited by Hemisphere - 10 November 2017 at 8:55am
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
PHASEDUB3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHASEDUB3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 11:09pm
Thank You for your response...

So I picked the speakers up today and stripped them down to see what was what... and to my surprise this is what i found... Some decent Drivers however after a test today they just don't hit that sound i'm after... I play hip hop, r&b, house ect... any more suggestions on if I should replace drivers to get that low end kick ect ???

It has Fane Colossus 15 XB

Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 11:39pm
A bit of info for you, I may be wrong but I seem to remember the Turbomax range of speaker cabinets were built for (Or by) Electro Music in Doncaster. Again I may be wrong but I also seem to remember they were all Fane loaded or that Fane even had something to do with the designs.
Either way you won't find a much better reflex driver than the XB. From the little picture you've posted the drivers you have are 15-XB's that were made before Fane was taken over. Assuming they're working properly then i'd say you want to keep on to those, I know I very much regret selling the pair Fane specifically built for me.
You need to find out the box tuning frequency and set X-overs, EQ & high pass filters to suit these.
I'm sure when set up correctly these will provide you with the exact results you are looking for.
Cheers, Chris.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 12:17am
If you need more kick then maybe reflex isnt for you or you need seperate kick bins. XB is a great driver and should hit hard but one way reflex bass has it's limitations.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 12:20am
As above, a Fane XB is probably one of the best drivers you can put into a compact reflex cab. And from looking the small photo above they seem to be in the Fane design cabs too. They should sound bloody good, what frequency range are you running them over and how much juice are you giving them?
WILLZTHRILLZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLZTHRILLZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 12:30am
Hi, I would be thinkin about changing those speakon connectors.
They look a wee bit rusty.
Cheers
Will
PHASEDUB3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHASEDUB3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 1:25pm
Hi, Thanks for your help so far everyone....

Ok so..... I currently use .....

x2 Crown XTI 4000...
x1 Crown XTI 4000 to power my " EV ZX5"  Tops
x1 Crown XTI 4000 to power my " EV PHOENIX PX2181 " Bass Bins

and now I will be using the same amp for the New Single Bass Bins I have just picked up....

GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by PHASEDUB3 PHASEDUB3 wrote:

Thank You for your response...

So I picked the speakers up today and stripped them down to see what was what... and to my surprise this is what i found... Some decent Drivers however after a test today they just don't hit that sound i'm after... I play hip hop, r&b, house ect... any more suggestions on if I should replace drivers to get that low end kick ect ???

It has Fane Colossus 15 XB

That’s a fane constructor cabinet, designed for the 15xb. There is an 18” version of this, that may give you the rumble you need.
100% Earth Moving Bass
Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 5:06pm
I've had a further look in to this and what i've said above about Electro Music in Doncaster is indeed correct.
There was also an 18" bass horn & 12" top (The TMT450) that formed the Turbomax concert system.
The 'Cyclone' 15" bins that you have here were sold along side the TMC-300 10" top boxes. The design, as stated by others, is very similar looking to the Fane constructor series 15" bins.
I'd say if you require any more specs then Electro Music are the people to call.
Cheers, Chris.
PHASEDUB3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHASEDUB3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 8:22pm
Thanks for your reply's but I've decided to now just sell these and stick with the EV side of things as It's just easier for myself.

Appreciate all the feedback and support Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply