Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need a quote please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Keen Keen wrote:

Richard,

There may be a few bits of interest in this link. 

https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?browsemode=category&category=Speaker_DIY_Kits&masthead=Assembled_Cabs&subheadnew=Mid!hyphen!High_Cabinet

hth

They do have a 2x12 but it's not made it onto the website yet.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Do you already have those drivers?
Have you made a rough math about the total cost of this project?
Might be wiser to just buy branded boxes.
A good 2x12 box with 60x40 horn is not that hard to find.

^^ exactly..

2 solid cabs made to spec - min. 250each finished
2 solid custom passiv xovers - min 100 each
drivers/horns as per your specs - 900 for the pair of single 12s, 1300 for doubles

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 6:57pm
speaker_sol on here has a pair of double 12s by stable audio he's been trying to sell.

http://www.adverts.ie/speakers/stable-audio-212-full-range-speakers/12399393
richardstringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 6:58pm
I don't have the drivers yet at the moment i'm toying with the idea of having some made as I love running my system full blast (but not into clipping) and next year i'm upgrading my subs drivers to RCF L18P300 drivers. I personally prefer a more even sound wheras I know a lot of people love far more power for bass than mid/high so it's very hard trying to find a pair of brand name mid/highs loud enough to keep up spl wise with my four subs as next year i'll be bridging four EV Q99 amps one into each sub giving each sub about 2,200 to 2,4000 watts average power at full bandwidth (the 4 ohm bridge spec of the Q99 is a 1khz spec).

I seriouslycan't afford a pair of brand name mid/highs that are loud enough except Nexo PS15 mk1 cabs but their dispersion is far too wide and considering i'll be using my system in always small places and be splaying the mid/highs I ideally need a maximum of 60 x 40 degree mid/highs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

speaker_sol on here has a pair of double 12s by stable audio he's been trying to sell.

http://www.adverts.ie/speakers/stable-audio-212-full-range-speakers/12399393

They look nice but the drivers only have an xmax of 5.5mm wouldn't playing drum & bass and oldskool hardcore eventually damage the cones? I used to have a pair of Peavey UL215H cabs which their drivers were rated as 5mm xmax and after a while the drivers couldn't take anymore and blew. I never clipped the system and only rane the UL215H cabs at their rated 1,000 watts average power. I was looking at some old JBL SR4731X cabs, there's a pair of those going for £875 and those JBL 2206 drivers have an xmax of 7.8mm if I remember correct.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:12pm
If you are running them above 70hz and with tons of power x max may not be your first consideration. Driver cooling however might be as without cone movement provided by bass frequencies ......

You say always running system flat out. Is this outdoors, because all indoor venues are different and require spl to suit peoples ears and so on
It's everything, not everythink!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:14pm
"Watts" and "xmax" have not much to do with how loud a speaker can get..!

pretty much any pair of decent 212s+large comp will keep up with those 4 (wharfedale 218s?) subs..

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:15pm
If you're crossing over at 100-120Hz which would be typical from 18" to 12", you won't have any excursion issues.  5.5mm for a 12" driver optimised more for midrange (which is want you want) is pretty normal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:20pm
Nicky....I always use a crossover frequency between subs and mid/highs of 100hz.

Bass....Yeah I know it's all down to watts, sensitivity of drivers and power compression figures that drivers suffer from that determines how loud a speaker cab might be. But I know when drivers suffer from over-excursion they can be damaged and that's why my old Peavey UL215H cabs drivers were damaged. When I took the drivers out 3 of the four drivers were knackered. Maybe it's because Peavey drivers aren't known for being able to survive massive excursion and I was at that time crossing my UL215H cabs off at 80hz unlike what I normally do which is 100hz mainly because I had a BSS FDS360 with an 80hz card in it at that time.

Edited by richardstringer - 27 May 2017 at 7:22pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:22pm
how exactly have they been knackered?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

how exactly have they been knackered?

I haven't got them anymore I sold them a few years ago but the wires on the back of the coneswhich I suspect lead to the voice coil? Well they were broken, when you slightly depress the cones softly you could hear a horrible scraping sound that sounded like someone scratching their finger nails along a piece of paper. Plus one cone if I remember right the voice coil had jumped out of the gap. I never clipped the system all night and I had JBL SRX728 subs at the time which I had running off bridged QSC RMX2450 amplifiers and they sounded as though they were strolling through a park on a summer's day, no effort what so ever. But the Peavey UL215H cabs halfway through the night started to sound as though they were tip toeing on the edge and were screaming for mercy so I lowered the mixer level back a bit but it didn't make it much better. 

Edited by richardstringer - 27 May 2017 at 7:31pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:29pm
Those got damaged primarily because they are shit drivers.
Good drivers with 5.5mm xmax can take tons of power.
I push 3KW in my double 12s and i am not aware of a 218 sub that can come close to keeping up with them in a 1:1 ratio.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>